U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:24 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,776,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I would challenge this family to simply live their life wherever they choose to live, now or in the future, regardless of what everybody else looks like. I honestly don't think this family has anything to worry about in Denver, as far as "feeling comfortable" goes, I've always said anybody can make it/get along just fine in Denver.

Your entire post was great; I just highlighted that sentence because it is what I would want my nieces & nephews to do as the years march forward.
The oldest has children of her own now and is in a bi-racial marriage. They are living the next year out of state but will be coming back to Denver in 2010.
Her kids are having some angst over being away, but none of it is due to their heritage or appearance.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 AM

49 posts, read 194,174 times
As a minority who has lived in Atlanta and now Denver, I think you will be FAR better off in Denver. The subtle racism in the Atlanta suburbs is still very present, not in your face but it's still engrained in the psyche there. Unless you lived downtown Atlanta or maybe Decatur where the black population is in the majority, only there, you might have a comfort level for your kids, and maybe for you (not guaranteed as racism goes both ways). You will find less blacks in Denver but to me what is important is the openness of the general population, and I have found that generally out west from Denver to California, the general populace tend to view things more openly and with leass of a color bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNewbie76 View Post
Ok here goes...my heart is dead set on relocating to Denver. Currently I reside in Atlanta(a transplant from NJ)been down here for 2yrs and I am ready to GO!!!!!! I have had enough! Anyway I have been reading the threads on here and have come across a few from black(african americans)complaining about the "the black experience" in Denver. It kind of leaves me puzzled because I am raising three african american boys 11 and 16yrs old and I do not want them to feel "out of place". Also I have a 19yr african american son who is in college and when he comes home for school breaks I want him to be able to fit in. Race has never played any major part in our lives. We DO NOT see color. My husband and I are both white and have friends from many different racial backgrounds. My question is in your opinion will the boys feel out of place in Denver? Also what is your opinion on Denver as a whole? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the quality of life there. Is Denver more of urban city or have more like a small town feel?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:15 PM

77,238 posts, read 105,162,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Don Cheadle went to East High School.
So did some other famous Black people like Joe Barry Carroll, Phil Bailey, Andrew Woolfolk and Larry Dunn from Earth, Wind and Fire, Pam Grier, Hattie McDaniel, Dianne Reeves(graduated from George Washington) and Olympian David Oliver. It is probably one of the best high schools in Denver.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,318,018 times
I agree with what you said and suppose I was thinking it but not exactly voicing it correctly online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
that's not exactly true. they do see the differences and they want to know why people look different, but they don't really assign negative meaning to those differences until they're older. it's partially based on their environment (what they glean from outside sources, parents, etc) and also the fact that humans like to exclude those who are different. that difference can be hair color, texture, skin color, eye color, or even for kids, who wears and plays what.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:33 AM

357 posts, read 1,231,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I agree with what you said and suppose I was thinking it but not exactly voicing it correctly online.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,026 times
Default Ism's Mania

Hello, I'm Hispanic Anglo, and while I am sensitive to the question posed,
I find this obession with 'race' irritating and dysfunctional. It seems like some people think about race 24/7/365.
It's a Tool they use to manipulate others and often---to excuse their own actions. Personal experience here, with members of my own extended family! Some of them have gotten themselve into a lot of trouble by thinking they can fall back on this poor hypocritical excuse.
People who talk about 'Race' all the time are giving themselves an excuse to do things they probably should not be doing. Even if that manifests only by being rude and obstreperous in their personal dealings with others not of their 'race'.

My advice: Move beyond your preoccupation with race and stand on your own Two Feet. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, like all the rest of us have done. In my community, we know this is the only way to real lasting success and healty integration with your community.

And BTW, I've seen a lot more 'sexism and ageism' out there, than I've ever seen racism. If you care so deeply about injustice, maybe you should refocus your questions..

Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM

109 posts, read 266,331 times
I am multiracial and some "natives" have problems with black and white couples. But that's it. It is more diverse in Ski towns like Vail or Breckenridge where you rarely hear english.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:58 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,008,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarren09 View Post
I am multiracial and some "natives" have problems with black and white couples. But that's it. It is more diverse in Ski towns like Vail or Breckenridge where you rarely hear english.
Rarely hear English? What?? It' mostly English in those places. Mostly Americans.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 AM

13,776 posts, read 28,090,447 times
I went to Winter Park (skiing) last week, and I was surprised at how not lily-white-American it was.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,008,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I went to Winter Park (skiing) last week, and I was surprised at how not lily-white-American it was.
Seems to me those areas are mostly Americans. I mean, they get some of the upper class from other countries and there's some workers from other countries, but that's about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver