U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:37 AM

130 posts, read 366,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Is there even anyone left who dares to knock an inter-racial marriage/family? Out loud, I mean. Even the few who still feel it's wrong have some sense to keep their opinions silent.
I'm not speaking of Denver (my boyfriend is from Denver, however I have never been there), but as to your comment in general - OH YES...you bet your biffy there are still people out there who feel they have the right to display their opinions verbally of their disdain of interracial relationships. I just moved from San Diego because of the ignorance. Believe it or not, as diverse as San Diego pretends to be, it is very conservative and majority white. I am currently in a interracial relationship (I'm Black) and believe me, there were people (mainly white women under 25) who would laugh, whisper to their friend, stare, and one insidiously took a photo of us on her cell phone and then laughed about it. So, yes the blatant ignorance is still out there. I would like to visit Denver sometime in the next few years, but as of now I am happy where I am now and it is much more accepting and diverse, but for me, I cannot wait to get back to Northern VA - IMO, it is utopia for interracial relationships.

I just thought I would put in my two cents and let the readers know from experience that there are really people out there like that in 2010 in places you would never expect, so I can always relate when a poster has the question of tolerance/acceptance in certain cities because nobody wants to move someplace where they will be made to feel out of place.

Last edited by queenvic; 01-12-2010 at 04:08 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 01-12-2010, 04:47 AM

692 posts, read 1,633,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
Not to stray completely off topic but don't you think that could have been interpreted as offensive by someone aware of the history of blackface in our country?
It is only racist/offensive if you are a racist/offensive yourself. Stop seeing color and see the person.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:11 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,281,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNewbie76 View Post
Ok here goes...my heart is dead set on relocating to Denver. Currently I reside in Atlanta(a transplant from NJ)been down here for 2yrs and I am ready to GO!!!!!! I have had enough! Anyway I have been reading the threads on here and have come across a few from black(african americans)complaining about the "the black experience" in Denver. It kind of leaves me puzzled because I am raising three african american boys 11 and 16yrs old and I do not want them to feel "out of place". Also I have a 19yr african american son who is in college and when he comes home for school breaks I want him to be able to fit in. Race has never played any major part in our lives. We DO NOT see color. My husband and I are both white and have friends from many different racial backgrounds. My question is in your opinion will the boys feel out of place in Denver? Also what is your opinion on Denver as a whole? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the quality of life there. Is Denver more of urban city or have more like a small town feel?
The black communities comfort doesn't seem to be doing any favors for it's members. Discomfort might be a blessing in disguise. If you care about these children (you claim to be raising) your worry about fitting in should be the least of your concerns.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 AM

6,288 posts, read 10,969,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
I am currently in a interracial relationship (I'm Black) and believe me, there were people (mainly white women under 25) who would laugh, whisper to their friend, stare, and one insidiously took a photo of us on her cell phone and then laughed about it.
Maybe they're just laughing at your significant other.
Just messin with you. I don't think Denver would be any different because it's mostly white and the attitudes are kinda limited.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:39 AM

130 posts, read 366,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Maybe they're just laughing at your significant other.Just messin with you.
Funny , but unfortunately I know hate & disgust when I see it. It's one emotion a person cant fake.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 AM

14,163 posts, read 25,763,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
Funny , but unfortunately I know hate & disgust when I see it. It's one emotion a person cant fake.
Being white with bi-racial children (black/white), I do get the occasional odd question. The other day at church an old white man asked me first if they were my children and second, where they were from. I replied "Denver" and he looked puzzled. I realized he assumed I'd adopted them from some far off country! Mostly I get odd questions from Black women when I'm out in public with them (like "are they yours, where's their mama, they mixed?) but it doesn't happen often. Within our neighborhood, there's no issue and we have plenty other bi-racial children around.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:29 AM

4,690 posts, read 9,411,307 times
I encountered some this past weekend... had a carload of Latinos drive by and shout "White people suck" (and some other things I didn't catch) out the windows at my wife ad I as we were walking our dog.

*shrug* There's no help for stupidity of that level except to euthanize.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:32 AM

13,775 posts, read 28,000,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I encountered some this past weekend... had a carload of Latinos drive by and shout "White people suck" (and some other things I didn't catch) out the windows at my wife ad I as we were walking our dog.

It was probably some stupid kids, I wouldn't think anything of it.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:13 AM

65,757 posts, read 55,360,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

I can relate to that. As an African-American, I can personally vouch for having the same experience of someone yelling vile and foul crap at me from inside their cars.
As stupid as it is, it also shows a level a cowardice.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,303,237 times
Hate to bring this up but how can you ignore it! I find it embarrassing as it's making national news:

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-nazihighway-012410,0,5473783.story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver