Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 05:58 AM

11 posts, read 32,624 times

Advertisements

Ok here goes...my heart is dead set on relocating to Denver. Currently I reside in Atlanta(a transplant from NJ)been down here for 2yrs and I am ready to GO!!!!!! I have had enough! Anyway I have been reading the threads on here and have come across a few from black(african americans)complaining about the "the black experience" in Denver. It kind of leaves me puzzled because I am raising three african american boys 11 and 16yrs old and I do not want them to feel "out of place". Also I have a 19yr african american son who is in college and when he comes home for school breaks I want him to be able to fit in. Race has never played any major part in our lives. We DO NOT see color. My husband and I are both white and have friends from many different racial backgrounds. My question is in your opinion will the boys feel out of place in Denver? Also what is your opinion on Denver as a whole? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the quality of life there. Is Denver more of urban city or have more like a small town feel?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
Compared to Atlanta, IMHO, yes they'll feel somewhat "out of place".

Old 07-22-2009, 08:13 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,472 times
I think your children should not have any problems. I used to live in Louisiana and Texas and there was a lot of racism down there. I really don't see it here. I think the area is very accepting of all people. I would give this area a 10, best place I've ever lived and I've lived in NY,MI,TX,LA.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:31 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
It was common to see a multiracial couple in the grocery store in Denver in 1965. I doubt you will see a lot of change to that now.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Denver has an urban feel, it's not as big as Atlanta but it's probably not as spread out, either.

Your boys won't see any racial problems, there's a fairly large black community in Denver. In my experience, the East Coast draws more of the racial lines than out here. I wouldn't be suprised if you experience less racial tension here than in Atlanta.

Anyway, Denver is a neat place to live, congratulations on your decision to move.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
Dear OP,

I don't think your kids would feel out of place, except for... Denver is not the South, not Atlanta. I'm thinking culture shock might more describe it. The ethnic counts here are very different than Atlanta, although all of Atlanta has many more people, so more room for ethnicity.

I do think there isn't nearly the focus on race as in the South, so you'll probably like that a lot.

I'm a Colo. native, and I'm black, and as a lot of people on this board know, my biggest complaint here is that I want Denver to be bigger. It's too small for me. I've lived here forever and have been everywhere! But for you... you'll have lots of time to explore.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
It might be a culture shock in that there isn't as large of an AA population in Colorado as there is in Atlanta and the South in general. And in terms of prejudice and discrimination, honestly most of it in the Denver metro area is targeted at Hispanics right now. It is a smaller city than Atlanta, but is by no means a "small town". I personally like large cities (i.e. Chicago) so do agree with others who say that they wish Denver was bigger, but it's a pretty standard medium-sized city.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:49 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,574 times
pssst, everyone sees color. it's what meaning you assign to it that's important .

to be frank, your sons already feel somewhat weird having white parents. my guess is that they'll feel less weird here since there are a number of white parents of children of color here, tho they tend to be younger kids. I would make sure to move to an area that has other children of color so they do have other black children around them. that would pretty much mean denver or aurora areas. other than that, I'd say they'll be okay, but remember, this is not atlanta. it's going to take some effort to network with black families.

you're a good parent to be concerned tho. as a fellow adoptive parent, I know many aren't so concerned.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 AM

Have you been to Atlanta Legs? The culture shock I'm speaking of is just that --- people are verrrryyy different in Georgia in general, Atlanta too, than Coloradoans.

oh and sadly, yes, the Hispanics are the flavor of the decade. Soon it'll move on to another group...

I have also taken note of middle easterners and regretfully east indians (as stupid people like to group them all into one) being targeted.

Me and my coworker friend call Denver a "mini" city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
It might be a culture shock in that there isn't as large of an AA population in Colorado as there is in Atlanta and the South in general. And in terms of prejudice and discrimination, honestly most of it in the Denver metro area is targeted at Hispanics right now. It is a smaller city than Atlanta, but is by no means a "small town". I personally like large cities (i.e. Chicago) so do agree with others who say that they wish Denver was bigger, but it's a pretty standard medium-sized city.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 AM

My mother is white and my brothers are white, my father is departed (he's black) so to others it looks like I'm adopted. And you know, I never took a second thought about having a white mother. And I'm a native here so I can speak as to experience here.

Mainly when I noticed the difference, was when total ignoramis decided to open their mouths. But thankfully that wasn't too often. I'd say my childhood was tough --- but that was because we were in a tiny, southwestern town. Denver is a lot different than that. There are tons of interracial couples. Something I NEVER saw in Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
pssst, everyone sees color. it's what meaning you assign to it that's important .

to be frank, your sons already feel somewhat weird having white parents. my guess is that they'll feel less weird here since there are a number of white parents of children of color here, tho they tend to be younger kids. I would make sure to move to an area that has other children of color so they do have other black children around them. that would pretty much mean denver or aurora areas. other than that, I'd say they'll be okay, but remember, this is not atlanta. it's going to take some effort to network with black families.

you're a good parent to be concerned tho. as a fellow adoptive parent, I know many aren't so concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver