Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:32 PM

24 posts, read 98,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The areas near the hospital, uptown, capital hill are not family oriented. You will be very comfortable; it has many venues for singles.

This is great website that will give you the information about the neighborhoods, amenities, culture, living | Live Downtown Denver | Brought To You By The Downtown Denver Partnership | It will also point you to different apartments.
Uptown is the neighborhood near the hospital | Live Downtown Denver | Brought To You By The Downtown Denver Partnership | Neighborhoods | click on link to get description | Live Downtown Denver | Brought To You By The Downtown Denver Partnership | Neighborhoods | Uptown |
Notice the search box on the left for apartment listings and prices

In addition this website will give you an bigger picture of the development happening in Denver
DenverInfill.com - Capitol Hill District

I have no idea about average prices for apartment but I think you will have no problem with 40,000 a year.

Here is a neighborhood map of all of Denver
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/downloads/maps/citywide/Neighborhoods.pdf (broken link)

Having grown up near Buffalo, never heard this---what is a snow removal tax????

Livecontent
Again thank for the info.If I remember correctly some cities like philly charge for snow removal.I could have misinterpet it.

Here a thread on it //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...residents.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:33 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Denver's cost of living is about average for a U.S. city. Rent is probably below average, as you saw. The DU area that Katiana talked about is a very nice area, but given your situation you should look no further than Capitol Hill. It's a downtown neighborhood, relatively affordable for a city-center area, and mostly quite safe.

To answer your question, you should be able to get by just fine on $40k salary provided you can live within a budget.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Please stop reading if you work for the City & County of Denver, no snow tax.

Heck, they don't even charge for trash pickup in Denver.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, my daughter lives in a decent (I assume you mean safe, clean, etc) neighborhood near the University of Denver. I think her 'hood is called "University". It is mostly grad students in her area. You could easily get to P/SL in 20 min. from her place. In fact, any east side neighborhood (E of I-25) would work for that commute time.

Re: weather, I would suggest looking at some weather websites such as AccuWeather.com for monthly averages, etc. There are also many other weather websites to peruse. The snows are not frequent, and the snow is usually gone in a few days. Summers are hot, but not humid like Baltimore. (I once lived in Frederick.) The smog is not that bad. It's there, but there's far more hype than reality about it. There is a ton of information about weather on this forum. Check the index.
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.I am just not use to the differences in prices.In Baltimore, a one bedroom apartment downtown cost at least 1000 dollar.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazer View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.I am just not use to the differences in prices.In Baltimore, a one bedroom apartment downtown cost at least 1000 dollar.
No offense taken. I was just clarifying.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:34 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Being from Baltimore, I can tell Gazer that it's all good here. Fear not. Land a job and come on out.

Only thing I miss are the crabcakes from Faidley's or Snyder's. I don't miss the humidity, bugs, high prices, crowding and traffic.

The $1000 rent in Baltimore is more than here; IMO, reflects that DC workers have discovered they can live a lot cheaper in Charm City and take a MARC train to the DC area, a mere 40 miles away, driving up rents.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Being from Baltimore, I can tell Gazer that it's all good here. Fear not. Land a job and come on out.

Only thing I miss are the crabcakes from Faidley's or Snyder's. I don't miss the humidity, bugs, high prices, crowding and traffic.

The $1000 rent in Baltimore is more than here; IMO, reflects that DC workers have discovered they can live a lot cheaper in Charm City and take a MARC train to the DC area, a mere 40 miles away, driving up rents.
Thanks for the info. Should I be aware of anything before deciding wheather I should take the job.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Could you be more specific?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Could you be more specific?
I guess the lifestyle of people. Is it more of a quiet city or more new york.

Are their alot of homelessnes people and/or forclosed houses ?

Are people friendly or is it a cliquish envirnoment?

I know a little bit about denver, but not enough to get a "feel" of it.So anything that tell me about the culture. I also would like to know coming from a big city, will I get bored easily?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:19 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazer View Post
I guess the lifestyle of people. Is it more of a quiet city or more new york.

Are their alot of homelessnes people and/or forclosed houses ?

Are people friendly or is it a cliquish envirnoment?

I know a little bit about denver, but not enough to get a "feel" of it.So anything that tell me about the culture. I also would like to know coming from a big city, will I get bored easily?
Denver is NOT noted for being a city that never sleeps. Much more muted here. Nothing like Times Square. The Inner Harbor meeting, greeting and eating space of B'more is in line with Denver's 16th Street Pedestrian Mall, minus the waterscape.

People are generally friendly. LOTS of people here from somewhere else. Tons of people in Baltimore are long-timers with multi-generational roots there, as are mine, back to the Civil War era.

Lots of culture and museums and show venues and eateries and watering holes and festivals and all 5 major league sports. Hardly any chance to get bored here. If you like outdoor sports, you can stay busy here all year.

s/Mike
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver