Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:05 PM

24 posts, read 98,967 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Baltimore Maryland and I have been offered a job at St Luke Hospital in denver. Before I accept the job, I need to understand what types of expenses I should be budgeting for and whether I can live decently on 40,000 a year as a single person.

Can anyone give some realistic estimates on the following

1. What is the average price for an 1 bedroom apartment?
2.What is the cost of utilities/phone/cable/internet?
3.I heard Denver have bad weather and drivers.Is the Cost of insurance higher?
4.If I decide to buy a house, what price does the average house go for?
My last question I have is, what are the decent neighborhood around St. Luke Hospital.I prefer an apartment within 20 minutes of the hospital.

Thank in advance.

Last edited by gazer; 07-25-2009 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
1. I don't know, but my daughter has a 2 BR for $650/mo in south Denver.

2. I'm really not sure as we have all this auto-pay stuff and I don't really look at it like I should. Satellite TV starts at about $30/mo. Internet depends on DSL v Broadband, etc. Land line, about $40/mo? (Not so sure about that.) Cell phone for 4 people is about $100/mo for us, but of course depends on the type of service selected.

3. Denver's weather is different from Baltimore but certainly no worse. Actually better, IMO. Drivers? Better than what I've seen in the DC area. I don't know if ins. is higher or lower than in Baltimore. I don't know what it costs in Balt.

4. I'm not sure, and it very much depends on the house. Starters are probably $250K or so, but there's a lot of flexibility there.

5. Yes

Old 07-25-2009, 08:10 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
There is no more St. Luke Hospital. It was taken down about 10 years ago. Presbyterian and St. Luke were two separate hospitals and were about 2 miles apart. Now they call Presbyterian, Presbyterian/St. Luke Medical Center.

But the old St. Luke property has been renewed, recently, into new condo, apartments and very nice new developments. In fact all the area west, southwest of Presbyterian to Downtown, along Park, 17th and 18th have all sprouted new developments. Also, Children Hospital just west of Presbyterian has moved to Aurora and that site is being redeveloped.

Just North of these St. Joseph and the Kaiser Facility is across from Presbyterian on Franklin, North of these hospitals, the area was not the best, but now it is also attracting new development.

You can easily find nice apartments around the hospital and even more so, toward downtown, Capital Hill and along 17th and 18th. You can also consider living anywhere downtown. All these places will allow you to easily commute by bus, walking, bicycling to Presbyterian. They are nice walkable neighborhoods with good amenities.

In fact you can go farther South into Cheesman Park and Congress Park and still be in nice neighborhoods and have less than a 20 minute commute. You can look east toward City Park and Park Hill and have great areas with a easy commute.

Livecontent

Old 07-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Thanks for clarifying that, livecontent. I just put P/SL in my head and wrote out my answer.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
1. I don't know, but my daughter has a 2 BR for $650/mo in south Denver.

Is this in a decent neighborhood? Can you recommend what neighborhoods to avoid ?

2. I'm really not sure as we have all this auto-pay stuff and I don't really look at it like I should. Satellite TV starts at about $30/mo. Internet depends on DSL v Broadband, etc. Land line, about $40/mo? (Not so sure about that.) Cell phone for 4 people is about $100/mo for us, but of course depends on the type of service selected.

3. Denver's weather is different from Baltimore but certainly no worse. Actually better, IMO. Drivers? Better than what I've seen in the DC area. I don't know if ins. is higher or lower than in Baltimore. I don't know what it costs in Balt.

How is the weather different from Baltimore? I know that their snow and smog.In Baltimore the weather is usually hot in the summer and cold(rarely snow) in the winter.

4. I'm not sure, and it very much depends on the house. Starters are probably $250K or so, but there's a lot of flexibility there.

5. Yes
Are their any other expenses or taxes that I should be aware of like snow removal tax.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
There is no more St. Luke Hospital. It was taken down about 10 years ago. Presbyterian and St. Luke were two separate hospitals and were about 2 miles apart. Now they call Presbyterian, Presbyterian/St. Luke Medical Center.

But the old St. Luke property has been renewed, recently, into new condo, apartments and very nice new developments. In fact all the area west, southwest of Presbyterian to Downtown, along Park, 17th and 18th have all sprouted new developments. Also, Children Hospital just west of Presbyterian has moved to Aurora and that site is being redeveloped.

Just North of these St. Joseph and the Kaiser Facility is across from Presbyterian on Franklin, North of these hospitals, the area was not the best, but now it is also attracting new development.

Thank for the info.
You can easily find nice apartments around the hospital and even more so, toward downtown, Capital Hill and along 17th and 18th. You can also consider living anywhere downtown. All these places will allow you to easily commute by bus, walking, bicycling to Presbyterian. They are nice walkable neighborhoods with good amenities.

In fact you can go farther South into Cheesman Park and Congress Park and still be in nice neighborhoods and have less than a 20 minute commute. You can look east toward City Park and Park Hill and have great areas with a easy commute.

Livecontent
Can you give an average price for apartments in these neighborhood. Also what are the "vibes" of downtown and the different neighborhoods. Since I am single, I prefer not to live in a Family oriented envirnoment.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
I sure hope you can cause I plan on trying on $37k.
The one thing I can speak to is the cost of insurance...if you live within the city limits of Baltimore there is no way your insurance would be more in Denver with differences in crime rates. And Colorado's drivers are way better than anything in the DC/Baltimore area.
One thing to be aware of is that depending on where in the metro area you end up, water can be extremely expensive.
Denver does get a little bit more snow than the mid-atlantic does but I would say it's not significantly colder or snowier, not like new york winter or anything.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazer View Post
Can you give an average price for apartments in these neighborhood. Also what are the "vibes" of downtown and the different neighborhoods. Since I am single, I prefer not to live in a Family oriented envirnoment.
The areas near the hospital, uptown, capital hill are not family oriented. You will be very comfortable; it has many venues for singles.

This is great website that will give you the information about the neighborhoods, amenities, culture, living | Live Downtown Denver | Brought To You By The Downtown Denver Partnership | It will also point you to different apartments.
Uptown is the neighborhood near the hospital http://www.livedowntowndenver.com/ne...oods/index.php click on link to get description http://www.livedowntowndenver.com/ne...hood.php?id=11
Notice the search box on the left for apartment listings and prices

In addition this website will give you an bigger picture of the development happening in Denver
DenverInfill.com - Capitol Hill District

I have no idea about average prices for apartment but I think you will have no problem with 40,000 a year.

Here is a neighborhood map of all of Denver
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/downloads/maps/citywide/Neighborhoods.pdf (broken link)

Having grown up near Buffalo, never heard this---what is a snow removal tax????

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-25-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 PM

Yes, my daughter lives in a decent (I assume you mean safe, clean, etc) neighborhood near the University of Denver. I think her 'hood is called "University". It is mostly grad students in her area. You could easily get to P/SL in 20 min. from her place. In fact, any east side neighborhood (E of I-25) would work for that commute time.

Re: weather, I would suggest looking at some weather websites such as AccuWeather.com for monthly averages, etc. There are also many other weather websites to peruse. The snows are not frequent, and the snow is usually gone in a few days. Summers are hot, but not humid like Baltimore. (I once lived in Frederick.) The smog is not that bad. It's there, but there's far more hype than reality about it. There is a ton of information about weather on this forum. Check the index.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I grew up in DC. It's a lot nicer here, in general.

There is less water here. No Inner Harbor. Crabs have to be flown here.

Otherwise it's all good.

2 bed condo would run $110k near Colfax & 10th Payments $600-$800 including HOA. $8,000 tax credit if first time home buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver