Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:32 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times

Advertisements

It's not a good idea in this economy to move anywhere without a job. However, Denver has a lower unemployment rate than some cities. But it's rising just like everywhere else. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:51 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
This thread was almost two years old.

Unemployment is high everywhere. Denver is no exception; in fact Denver is probably even a bit worse given the competition.
No kidding, my cousin works @ the Texas Workforce commission and she tells me they get a lot of Colorado residents looking for jobs here (they are physically here).

I even starting to see a lot of Colorado license plates driving around here

Maybe they are flocking south to get away from the cold?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:53 PM

36 posts, read 68,994 times
I am thinking about moving back to Colorado from California (for obvious reasons) and I am curious what the market is like for my field. I have a BA in marketing and an MBA in health care management. Any insight would be really appreciated!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:42 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlaura View Post
I am thinking about moving back to Colorado from California (for obvious reasons) and I am curious what the market is like for my field. I have a BA in marketing and an MBA in health care management. Any insight would be really appreciated!
Was a guy in the Denver forum today saying he got a sales job within two weeks of being here. Denver has a lot of hospitals as it's a big regional city with no large cities nearby for several hundred miles.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:14 PM

36 posts, read 87,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Was a guy in the Denver forum today saying he got a sales job within two weeks of being here. Denver has a lot of hospitals as it's a big regional city with no large cities nearby for several hundred miles.
might have been me lol. there were plenty of mkt mgr positions available that i didnt apply for since i dont have a degree.

denverjobs.com

look into the sales section for mkt and non-profit section for health care. actually the sales section has many non sales hospital jobs for some reason also lol.

good luck

Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times
There is just too many people runny around with these business degrees because they are easier to achieve. Schools love them because they get money for these type of "education" that entails little in investment in a physical plant.

I started college, in NY, in the sixties, and there was a movement to remove these types of degrees because they were not considered a broad education in the liberal arts sense, and not a specific education in the science sense. Maybe they were right.

Unless you have specific hard experience and education in some industry, which you get out of school, these general soft degrees are just not that in demand. That would also go for the proliferation of these weak MBA degrees.

The hard science of business such as accounting, statistics, mathematics, system analysis and programming are more in demand. Business programs combined with hard science as in engineering are desired. The rest of these types of so-called education just makes a job search even more difficult, unless you have hard experience.

Unfortunately with good experience, you age along with that experience. Then, you up against youth and beauty; and that will get you a job faster than old and experienced, if you skills are the same. So, find your place before you get old and get some rare hard experience in a industry that is desired, but even then youth and beauty will more likely win the job. If you are naturally short, ugly and now are balding and fat--well, complain to make believe gods, there is little help, because your life will be more difficult.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-10-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 08:35 AM

75 posts, read 206,428 times
Wow - someone is bitter. I'll have to completely disagree with you. I got my bachelors degree in Marketing from a state school, got a good job out of college that wouldn't have been possible without it, and have been successful and employed ever since. "Soft degrees" not in demand? Yeah, but those high school diplomas sure are. Sorry you had such a bad day yesterday.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 AM

41 posts, read 111,934 times
Our unemployment rate is lower but it is still hard to find work.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:19 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,525 times
I just want to remind people that the unemployment rate merely tells you that a certain percentage of the people that are already in Colorado have jobs. It does not indicate the number of jobs that may be available, nor does it tell you how often those people are changing jobs. Those figures should probably, at the least, be cross referenced with inflow / outflow of people moving to or away from Colorado.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:16 AM

581 posts, read 2,306,978 times
The Economy is horrible everywhere. The best advise you will ever get (especially in these times)
is NOT to move anywhere without having a job lined up first. Denver is a fine city but any city
will be HELL if you move there and can not find work. If you have a job where you are now,
you might be better off digging in and waiting for the economy to turn around. Moving is very
expensive and to me it's just not worth the risk of changing jobs in this economy if things don't
pan out. Too many risk factors.. (If you're unemployed, you must move to wherever there is work)

Denver is fine for most, but I prefer San Diego/OC/Los Angeles. I am waiting things out in
Denver before moving back to SoCal. This economy is too risky and layoffs occur every day.
Just think.. You could get a job offer, move here, then get caught in a layoff after 2 months.
Why take the risk??? This is why I stay put in the Tech Center. The Beaches of SoCal
I miss, but I (and everyone else in the US) need to start being conservative in ALL of our
actions. This is the time to be very cautious.

Last edited by HarborEastGuy; 09-12-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver