Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 PM

17 posts, read 46,802 times

Advertisements

Hello -

My wife and I will be moving to south east Denver (near the intersection of S Monaco Pkwy and E Florida Ave/Cook Park area)(LINK to Google Maps location) in 2 weeks, and I have a couple questions that I'm hoping this forum might be able to help with.
- Who has the most reliable internet service? I work from home and need a reliable internet connection. Cable or DSL is fine, just needs to be >2mb service without a "cap" on transfer. I heard ComCast is enforcing caps, but I'm not sure if they are big in Denver. I have 10mb down/2mb up right now.
- Who has the most reasonable HD cable service in the area?
- Are there a lot of local HD stations broadcast over the air? I'd rather not pay for cable service and might be able to convince the wife if we can get decent HD over the air.

Also, if you are familiar with the neighborhood we will be moving to, I'd appreciate any insight/advice you might have to offer. Anything fun to do around there (bars, neighborhood restaurants, parks, etc...)?

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on the Happy Hour thread and come meet some of you soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:46 PM

I ended up going with Comcast, but they weren't my first choice. I was unable to get Qwest service because the closest switch was full and they didn't know when they'd be adding more ports. I've heard awful things about both companies. I'm assuming Qwest and Comcast are really my only options for 2mb+ internet service, right?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 PM

6,779 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I live near that intersection and I have Comcast. I think it's a bit pricey, but the high-speed internet works well for me. I haven't had any problems with it in the past three years I've been in Denver. The most annoying aspect of Comcast is that they send massive amounts of junk mail even though I already AM a subscriber!

I live in the neighborhood and I like it, but there really isn't anything besides cook park and the cherry creek bike path within walking distance. It's a more suburban feel even though it's still right in the city. It works well for me and I like the location, but I do admit that I drive whenever I want to grab a coffee or go out to eat. There isn't as much to do in this neighborhood as there is in other areas (like DU area, Cap Hill, etc.). That isn't to say that there is NOTHING here, but most of it would require driving, at least from the point you plotted on the google map. There are bars and restaurants along Leetsdale, for instance, but it's still a bit of a walk (1-1.5 miles?) from Cherry Creek N and Monaco.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
Qwest 20 meg price for life is good. 55/mo if you have a line through them already. DirectTV for TV if you can't deal with an antenna. Comcast rips on both fronts.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I live near that intersection and I have Comcast. I think it's a bit pricey, but the high-speed internet works well for me. I haven't had any problems with it in the past three years I've been in Denver. The most annoying aspect of Comcast is that they send massive amounts of junk mail even though I already AM a subscriber!

I live in the neighborhood and I like it, but there really isn't anything besides cook park and the cherry creek bike path within walking distance. It's a more suburban feel even though it's still right in the city. It works well for me and I like the location, but I do admit that I drive whenever I want to grab a coffee or go out to eat. There isn't as much to do in this neighborhood as there is in other areas (like DU area, Cap Hill, etc.). That isn't to say that there is NOTHING here, but most of it would require driving, at least from the point you plotted on the google map. There are bars and restaurants along Leetsdale, for instance, but it's still a bit of a walk (1-1.5 miles?) from Cherry Creek N and Monaco.
Thanks for the reply cowboyxjon! I've heard about the junk mail, I get the same thing from my current cable provider (Charter).

As far as the neighborhood goes...that's the same impression we got, kinda suburban feel, but close to most of the city. This is likely a temporary location for us, just to get a feel for the city before finding a place to buy. I appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:36 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,287 times
With the junk mail, I get about 1 mail a month from Comcast (their newsletter). It's sent to my comcast mail account, which I hardly use (that's my junk mail account, which everyone should have).

Qwest DSL really depends on proximity of CO to your location. Comcast, while not so great service, is a stable cable HD/internet in the area. I get very consistent high dl/ul speeds throughout the day. Cross your fingers for Verizon FiOS, but don't hold your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: