Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:51 PM

618 posts, read 1,366,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
haha the unsafeway. Never felt unsafe there.
Me neither, but I have heard some locals refer to it that way...so it sticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:02 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
Me neither, but I have heard some locals refer to it that way...so it sticks.
The two major grocery stores mentioned in this thread have been fondly called the unsafeway (the Safeway at 20th & Washington) and the queen soopers (the King Soopers at Speer & 9th) for as long as these two stores have been around, long before the revitilization/gentrification/hipness factor took over in the downtown area.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:22 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Yes, it is a real problem not having a good basic grocery store in the Platte Valley.
I do not like the overpriced fancy markets.

There is another option. If you live near a commuter rail station, you can actually claim that any stores with walkable distance of any station on the lines are in your walkable neighborhood. So, for groceries, you can get on the rail stations downtown and quickly arrive at the Alameda Station, which is right adjacent to the Broadway Marketplace at Broadway and Alameda. There is an Albertson's, a Kmart and a Sam's Club. Get a little wire shopping caddy and you will be all set.

The King Sooper's on Speer is actually attached to housing, condo and apartments. I often visualized heaven as living in or above a super market. The Gourmet or rather the Glutton in me, dreams such dreams.

Livecontent

Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,186 times
thanks everyone for your input so far!

bhcompy- thanx for the tips on applying for jobs. we are hoping to visit in early sept. and hopefully lock down some interviews while we visit.

steveindenver- from my initial searches, i seems as though there are places around $1,000. of course no one really know what a place looks like until it is seen in person! can't wait to visit and tour some places. the great thing is we will have some wiggle room since we will only have 1 car to maintain, and sq footage isn't really an issue. We lived in 460sqft in Vancouver and made it work

to all-
not having a major grocery store within walking distance wouldn't be a problem as we would be bringing one car to Denver. At least from my point of view seems a much more doable city with one car, as where I live is really not very feasible. Not only are things too far to walk to, but nobody and I mean nobody walks around here, so that makes it unsafe in my eyes. But it would be great to live in an area where I can walk to work, so basically close to any major shopping district, stuff to do like a library, parks, movies, and a place I can quickly grab some bread and milk if need. Large shopping like toiletries, etc we can stock up as needed with the car.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:45 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
The two major grocery stores mentioned in this thread have been fondly called the unsafeway (the Safeway at 20th & Washington) and the queen soopers (the King Soopers at Speer & 9th) for as long as these two stores have been around, long before the revitilization/gentrification/hipness factor took over in the downtown area.
No offense but i dont think native coloradans have any idea what an unsafe grocery store is

Old 08-12-2009, 04:48 PM

181 posts, read 582,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
queen soopers (the King Soopers at Speer & 9th)
Queen Soopers is actually at 9th & Corona.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzimmerman View Post
Queen Soopers is actually at 9th & Corona.
Yes, address 1155 E 9th Ave. . .

Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 AM

229 posts, read 750,659 times
Sorry, but you are making this really confusing. The original poster mentioned two apartments in the central business district (Bank & Boston Lofts, 1600 Glenarm Place) - technically not Lodo. Someone else said there are no grocery stores in LoDo. And now there is this talk of the 1155 E 9th Ave "Queen Soopers" - not only is that a little derogatory, its also not the closest King Soopers.

The close groceries are the King Soopers on 1331 Speer Blvd, the Safeway at 757 E. 20th Ave, the Cooks Fresh Market at the 1600 Glenarm Apartment address, and the Vitamin Cottage at 2375 15th St.

I wish there would be a sticky: YES THERE ARE GROCERY STORES IF YOU LIVE DIRECTLY DOWNTOWN (and in LoDo too).

Besides, the poster said she has a car, so she could to SuperWalmart or Rancho Liborio if she wants.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:47 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
So you lived in a different country for a year and have been bitten by the bug of what life is like outside the U.S. You're looking for a city in the U.s. that may come close to emulating the experience.

There's not much in that regard. Denver is okay because it's laid back and it's got a fair share of ethnic diversity and cultures.

Unfortunately in Denver most companies do not consider out of state candidates. That's even more true now with the poor economy.

I don't want to discourage you. If you can find a way to move to Denver, I encourage you to do it. Denver, and Colorado in general, is a great place to live. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:56 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times
Go for it! You'll love it here. I moved from LA 6 years ago and never regretted it for one second. The other posters are correct....you'll probably need to move here first then look for a job. As long as you save up for 2-3 months worth of expenses you'll be fine. You could even find a pretty cool apartment/condo for as low as $800-850. Right now there are a lot of empty condo/lofts that are for rent by the owners who are basically trying to just cover the mortgage (my building has at least 4 right now from $800-1300. Check out craigslist and search keywords lodo, ballpark, uptown, and highlands (not highlands ranch). Those are all hip areas downtown. Lodo is the most expensive. Capitol Hill is also next to downtown and it's even cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver