Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,188 times

Advertisements

Just looking for some great positive reinforcement to help push me even closer to the great move!

I've lived in So. Orange County, Ca for 7 years but spent a life changing year and a half in Vancouver,BC in between. Ever since I've been back I've been wanting to get out of this mostly superficial and expensive area and replace it with a city where my fiance and I can live in a downtown loft or high rise apartment. We can swing it with just one car, and I can walk to work and do a majority of my errands. We have no children, no mortgage, and no real job tying us down (in fact we some what hate our jobs right now) The only thing that is really stopping us is that "in this economy" (boy i hate that phrase) we feel nervous about moving to a new state without jobs already secured. So here are a few questions for you guys!

-How's unemployment feeling in Denver? Of course I've read the statistics but I'm looking for real opinion from real people.

- I work as a Visual Merchandiser for a clothing boutique , how are the retail jobs out there? What is the average pay for a basic sales girl job? Are people being let go, hours getting cut due to slow business?

-Anyone have any opinions on high-rise loft apartments? We're looking to spend around $1,000/mo for something downtown within walking distance to shops, restaurants, & grocery. Online I've seen Bank & Boston Lofts, 1600 Glenarm Place, and Uptown Village Apartments, I'm up for hearing anyones opinions or suggestions on other places.

-Does anyone have any insite into applying for jobs out of state? I get that a lot of companies would do it for high-level positions, but for retail or administrative jobs are most companies even open to the idea?

Thanks a ton in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:07 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Applying for jobs: Get an out of state friend for a mailing address and cell phone/vonage number for calls.

As far as unemployment, I was there late spring and my wife made a remark about how so many more storefronts, stripmalls, shopping centers, etc were bustling and without major vacancy unlike here in So Cal where you have shopping centers with empty department stores, strip malls with nothing but a liquor store or dry cleaner, etc. This is not a scientific measurement by any degree, but it seemed that they're being hit less to us, but maybe that's true given the fact that the area was not in a bubble anywhere close to So Cal was and currently has increased fossil fuel development in the Rockies to help provide a bump somewhat(even if Denver is a bit removed from that)

Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,117 times
Quote:
We're looking to spend around $1,000/mo for something downtown within walking distance to shops, restaurants, & grocery.
Not going to happen at that price point, there are no real grocers in walking distance of Lodo.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:56 AM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Not going to happen at that price point, there are no real grocers in walking distance of Lodo.
Well there is no big grocery stores like safeway in the core but at 1600 glenarm there is a nice market, much like you'd find in manhatten.

Cook's Fresh Market :: Denver, Colorado :: Home

Anybody wanting to walk to a grocery store isnt going to shop in bulk.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttertart View Post
Just looking for some great positive reinforcement to help push me even closer to the great move!

I've lived in So. Orange County, Ca for 7 years but spent a life changing year and a half in Vancouver,BC in between. Ever since I've been back I've been wanting to get out of this mostly superficial and expensive area and replace it with a city where my fiance and I can live in a downtown loft or high rise apartment. We can swing it with just one car, and I can walk to work and do a majority of my errands. We have no children, no mortgage, and no real job tying us down (in fact we some what hate our jobs right now) The only thing that is really stopping us is that "in this economy" (boy i hate that phrase) we feel nervous about moving to a new state without jobs already secured. So here are a few questions for you guys!

-How's unemployment feeling in Denver? Of course I've read the statistics but I'm looking for real opinion from real people.

- I work as a Visual Merchandiser for a clothing boutique , how are the retail jobs out there? What is the average pay for a basic sales girl job? Are people being let go, hours getting cut due to slow business?

-Anyone have any opinions on high-rise loft apartments? We're looking to spend around $1,000/mo for something downtown within walking distance to shops, restaurants, & grocery. Online I've seen Bank & Boston Lofts, 1600 Glenarm Place, and Uptown Village Apartments, I'm up for hearing anyones opinions or suggestions on other places.

-Does anyone have any insite into applying for jobs out of state? I get that a lot of companies would do it for high-level positions, but for retail or administrative jobs are most companies even open to the idea?

Thanks a ton in advance!
Here's a place at the Barclay you may be interested in. Also check out the brooks tower. Both are around your price range and central downtown.

http://denver.craigslist.org/apa/1274723828.html (broken link)

Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 AM

229 posts, read 750,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Well there is no big grocery stores like safeway in the core but at 1600 glenarm there is a nice market, much like you'd find in manhatten.

Cook's Fresh Market :: Denver, Colorado :: Home

Anybody wanting to walk to a grocery store isnt going to shop in bulk.
There is a big grocery store called King Soopers on Speer about 1.5 miles away. Besides, King Soopers delivers to most of the metro area anyhow if it is really a problem - http://peach.kroger.com/sf/servlet/storefront (broken link)

Old 08-11-2009, 12:17 PM

24 posts, read 64,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttertart View Post
"in this economy" (boy i hate that phrase)
You and me both. Sorry to get off track

Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
I know it's across the river, but isn't there a Vitamin Cottage down the street from REI? It's not that far of a walk, especially if you've brought some kind of cart, or if you just shop more often.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 PM

618 posts, read 1,366,386 times
There is a Vitamin Cottage at the corner of 15th and Platter. There is also the un-Safeway at E. 20th and Washington.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
There is a Vitamin Cottage at the corner of 15th and Platter. There is also the un-Safeway at E. 20th and Washington.
haha the unsafeway. Never felt unsafe there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver