Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:02 AM

22 posts, read 87,424 times

Advertisements

Choosing a new locale is all about comparisons, so I'm trying to get some insight into how Denver compares to the Washington DC metro area. My husband and I are considering Denver because I am in the fortunate position of being able to transfer my job there.

My husband has visited Denver and really liked it. I've never been there and am trying to get a feel for it before we seriously put a moving plan into action; I would, of course, come visit Denver before making any decision.

In short, I don't want to make a lateral move. I'm hoping to improve our living situation. DC is EXPENSIVE beyond belief ($500,00+ for any kind of rinky dink house in the 'burbs) and super crowded. The traffic is second worst in the nation, after LA, and while there are plenty of nice people, it never seems like there's enough time for people to spend much time together socially. Everyone is busy and stressed, or stuck in traffic! Oh, and the humidity is just downright unpleasant.

Anyone moved from DC to Denver? How does it compare? Did you find the cost of living a little bit better or a lot better? How does the traffic compare? Did you find that Denver and surrounding suburbs has a community feel?

If we consider Denver, we'd like to find a nice suburban area where we could buy a small house (around 2000 sq ft) in the $300,000 range, not too far commute from the city, with good schools for our young daughter. Sound reasonable?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
Well, I was born and raised in Denver and now live in DC. The price for EVERYTHING will go down, and most noticeably, rent. But groceries, gas, random things like laundry detergent, and I'm pretty sure internet/tv. Rent is legitimately two times cheaper than DC (What area exactly do you live in just to get a better idea).
I was really excited about moving to DC but found that while I love DC itself I HATE NoVa. And I won't ever be able to afford to live in DC so voila I hate where I'm stuck.
One downside--Denver is a smaller city and while it has many of the things DC has to offer, its usually on a smaller scale.
There is no humidity, it's extremely dry. The traffic is much, much better.
And for $300k in this housing market, you could do quite well even in Denver proper.
To make a long story short, I think you should seriously look into Denver. There's lots of outdoor stuff to do, cheaper cost of living, and waaaay less traffic. I personally am counting down the months until I can move back

Old 08-11-2009, 08:20 AM

22 posts, read 87,424 times
Thanks for the information! Yes, NoVA is sort of soul-less.

We currently live in the Takoma area of DC (just a stone's throw from the border with Takoma Park MD). We pay over $2000 for a 1000 sq ft apartment, which I think is pricey. I used to live in Cleveland Park and really liked that neighborhood but could never afford to buy there! Also, I really appreciated being in the city when I was single but now that I'm married with a child, I wouldn't mind being a bit further out. The only thing about DC or close-in suburbs is that you still can't get much for your money. That's why we're considering Denver, though probably a suburb as opposed to the city proper. Am hoping that there's some "neighborhoody" type communities and not just track-home developments.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:36 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I was born in DC. I grew up in the MD suburbs of Montgomery County. I graduated from St. Mary's College.

I have been here for 20 years, after a two year stint with NorCal.

Do I miss it, yes, but this is soooooo much better. Come for a visit.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:49 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1048 View Post
Thanks for the information! Yes, NoVA is sort of soul-less.

We currently live in the Takoma area of DC (just a stone's throw from the border with Takoma Park MD). We pay over $2000 for a 1000 sq ft apartment, which I think is pricey. I used to live in Cleveland Park and really liked that neighborhood but could never afford to buy there! Also, I really appreciated being in the city when I was single but now that I'm married with a child, I wouldn't mind being a bit further out. The only thing about DC or close-in suburbs is that you still can't get much for your money. That's why we're considering Denver, though probably a suburb as opposed to the city proper. Am hoping that there's some "neighborhoody" type communities and not just track-home developments.
Takoma is cute . And yes, you won't find prices like that vs. square footage in Denver. Denver itself has many family-friendly neighborhoods that don't qualify as tract-housing. I know there's been a bunch of threads about it, searching for those should help. If you don't want to go the DPS or other alternative schools within the city lines, other people on here should be able to help with specific recommendations with other school districts.
I'm not very familiar with Littleton, Englewood, etc so I can't really offer much advice.
One thing so you're not shocked--if you're expecting public transportation on par with the metro, you won't find it yet. They're working on it (see the other threads about RTD and the lightrail for a better idea) but as of right now there's many places the lightrail does not serve. Although if you'll be working downtown or in the tech center it's a good option.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I didn't make a direct DC to Denver move, but I lived in Frederick, MD (or rather my parents did) when I was in college. Also, my BFF lives in NOVA.

That out of the way, I agree with most of what has been posted.

I think you're being a bit idealistic, however. Yes, COL is less, but are the people "nicer", "better", etc? I think not. Now that you have a child, you'll probably get involved in "Mom" activities, and that gives you a big circle of friends.

I know two couples from the DC area who voluntarily moved back there, as well. I'd say it all depends on the person.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
We came straight from Fairfax County, VA (DC Metro Area) to COLO SPGS in 2005, and it's been wonderful ever since.

Cost of living seems a lot cheaper here. In 2005, the cost of housing here in COLO SPGS was HALF that of DC Metro Area.

Look around on Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com® for home in Denver metro area to get a feel for prices and styles. Check SW Airlines to see if they have any of those cheap $59 fares in September, it's worth a trip to see this area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:49 AM

698 posts, read 2,047,301 times
Quote:
Am hoping that there's some "neighborhoody" type communities and not just track-home developments.
If you want neighborly and non tract-home, have a look at my neighborhood, Bradburn Village in Westminster (north suburb of Denver, commute to downtown in 30 minutes). You didn't say specifically where in Denver your job would be, but if it's downtown, Bradburn is a decent commute, especially by express bus. If however, your job is in the Denver Tech Center, Bradburn would be too far.

I've written lots about what it's like to live here if you search "Bradburn Village" under the Denver forum, you'll see all the postings but briefly: Bradburn is a new urbanist neighborhood north of downtown Denver. The neighborhood is walkable so you can walk to many things such as restaurants, shops, and services. We have excellent public schools.

We have a very, very strong sense of community meaning everyone here knows their neighbors and we have frequent community events (weekly). LOTS and LOTS of kids, most under age 10 (huge concentration of 5-9 year olds and under 3 year olds). Great access to the Dry Creek Open Space and trails as well as wonderful parks. New as well as resale homes in the 2000 sq foot range for 300-400 K. Come check us out, and stop to talk to people, everyone here is very friendly.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
As someone who spent 5 years working as a govt contractor in DC, I've got one thing to say: MOVE to Denver!

See my specific answers below:

Quote:
In short, I don't want to make a lateral move. I'm hoping to improve our living situation. DC is EXPENSIVE beyond belief ($500,00+ for any kind of rinky dink house in the 'burbs)
Denver is much cheaper. I've read that Denver is one of the cheapest cities to live in the U.S.

Quote:
and super crowded. The traffic is second worst in the nation, after
Denver is way less crowded. There's no comparison between Denver traffic and east coast traffic. Some posters may warn you about Denver traffic. Ignore them. It's obvious they have never lived on the East Coast.

Quote:
LA, and while there are plenty of nice people, it never seems like there's enough time for people to spend much time together socially.
I'm glad to see someone who thinks the same way about D.C. as I do. I found that the only thing people care about in D.C./N.VA is their careers.
Out here, things are much more laid back. People care about their outdoors activities, their social lives, etc.

Quote:
Everyone is busy and stressed, or stuck in traffic! Oh, and the humidity is just downright unpleasant.
No humidity here.

Quote:
compare? Did you find that Denver and surrounding suburbs has a community feel?
There's definitely neighborhoods in Denver with a community feel.

Quote:
If we consider Denver, we'd like to find a nice suburban area where we could buy a small house (around 2000 sq ft) in the $300,000 range, not too far commute from the city, with good schools for our young daughter. Sound reasonable?
No problem finding that.

The main difference that you may not like about Denver is that there's not as much "cosmopolitan" or "metropolitan" things. D.C. has better shopping, and better and more restaurants. That's about it.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:55 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Oh, one more thing. D.C> probably has the best public transportation I've ever used. You find anywhere near as good in Denver. you'll have to have a car and use it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver