Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:31 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,015,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I liked those pictures. One that I really would like to know about was the one that showed a building with INDOOR SKYDIVING on it. Do you know what they meant by that?

I found a place in Las Vegas, during the mid 1970's, that had a huge fan mounted in the floor with a grated screen for the floor. Think a huge vertical wind tunnel. You wore a special pair of coveralls that had "wing" pockets so when you laid out with your arms in the cross position the air from the floor fan would lift you up and let you fly all around the building. A cable attached to your suit and the ceiling prevented you from crashing to the floor. IIRC it cost about $40 for ten minutes of flying time and there was a line two blocks long to get in. I have traveled all over the country and have never seen anything like that since. Even though I have to walk with a cane now I would still like to try that again. It is the closest thing to actually skydiving I can imagine.

GL2
That's pretty much what it is, GL2. It's run by Sky Adventures, and it's on Park Meadows Drive in Lone Tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 07:48 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,955,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
It really amuses me that on days like Father's Day on any warm holiday, I will see people outdoors barbecuing and smoke, people outside on patios, in the front of the house and children playing, parks with many people, in the different types of neighborhoods, of different social status, that we cross to get to Lone Tree.

Ah, but once we get to the heart of Lone Tree, in this case Heritage Hills--you see a big absence of people outside---very few children and adults, and really no smell of barbecuing. It is all just like any other day in the neighborhood--quiet and tranquil.
Could it possibly be that the patios in Lone Tree are in the BACK of the homes where families enjoy a private barbecue where people driving along the streets in front of the homes cannot see them? I know in most more exclusive neighborhoods I've ever been too, the homes have been designed purposefully with the outdoor enjoyment space at the back and a big (marketing) deal made of the privacy that exists for such activities in the back yards. I'm thinking Lone Tree may not be much different from most of those neighborhoods I've seen. I'm thinking when families invite folks over to barbecue, it is done in the back yard out of sight of passers by. So maybe the folks there enjoy the outdoors just as much as the folks in the other places you drove by and saw them out front. Maybe they enjoy the outdoors where nobody else can see them. Intentionally.

Or maybe they go out to one of the many tasty restaurants that the Denver area is known for, and maybe even sit outdoors on a patio while eating. My guess is that if nobody went to those restaurants, they may not make enough money to stay in business and then Denver probably would be known as the city with hardly any restaurants except McDonalds and Taco Bell.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,235,693 times
I just discovered a pretty cool shopping center this afternoon that I never even knew existed-- it's called the Village at Castle Pines. It's basically a faux small town downtown with walkable streets and parallel parking. Mainly boutique stores, a fitness club, and a few fancy restaurants. Only thing is there is basically no residential areas that are walkable to the shopping center except for possibly one gated community that directly abuts it. So you are pretty much forced to drive there, but once you're there it looks like you're in a mini town center. You can take a look at some pictures on their website: Village at Castle Pines. It's a few miles south of Lone Tree at Happy Canyon Rd & Hwy 85, in between Castle Pines, Sedalia, and Castle Rock. Thought it would be an interesting corollary to bring up since we're talking about pedestrian areas, suburban vs urban, and upscale, wealthy developments in Douglas County.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,530,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
When I think of Lone Tree, I think of extremes. There are a few exceptions, but it seems that the only housing options are gargantuan single-family homes in gated communities or apartments/condominiums on the golf course. While it is a very well-manicured community with a ton of shopping and easy access to the Lincoln light rail station, I don't consider it particularly livable for a middle-class family with kids. For very affluent DINKs (pre-kids or empty nesters), it may be a different story.
It's not as livable for middle-class families with kids as say, Parker. But it isn't all that bad. You're centrally located between Highlands Ranch and Parker, which make it easy to enjoy both areas as well as Lone Tree. They're really working hard to make more parks available for families - a new one is actually opening on the golf course soon for public use. It's just a matter of getting people out to those parks.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Wow - I never knew there was so much Lone Tree hate....
People live different places for different reasons. Last I heard no one was forceably made to live in Lone Tree....don't like it don't live there but what is the point of dissing those who do? For the record I don't live in Lone Tree but I understand why people live there as well as I understand the reasons people don't live there....
There seems to be a lot of resentment towards suburbs here in Denver, at least from what we've noticed. Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, Parker, they all get bashed by people in other parts of the metro area... as if the older suburbs are any less suburban.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Excellent Pictures. It shows exactly what Lone Tree is: Rich, Clean, Sterile, Not Walkable....just another wealthy suburbs with the same same...

Livecontent
Having lived in Lone Tree for 4 years now, I'd have to say there is plenty to like about the city: Convenient, Well Kept, Plenty of Amenities, Fairly Walkable, and still pretty Small.

I can't see how Arvada would be considered any more or less "walkable". Do you see a lot of people walking in Lone Tree? Not as much as you'd think given the sidewalks and trails - it's not because they can't. In my opinion, it probably has more to do with the type of professionals who live here - the type that probably get their exercise at the gym instead of walking to the store. And it seems kids here tend to be in daycare and other programs rather than outside playing. True, not as many people out bbq'ing or socializing - though our block has been the exception to that since we've lived here. It is different in that regard, and I think that has to do with there being fewer families with children here, but that's just a guess. It has more of a "young professional" vibe than a family vibe, but not because there isn't anything for families to do here.

Sure, just like any city/town that is less than 20 years old, it's going to feel a little sterile and suburban. That's to be expected. It's still young. And sure, it's not going to have the culture and charm of a more established suburb like Littleton, but that will come later - and not everyone is necessarily looking for that. Do I wish it had more smaller family-owned restaurants and cafes, sure. But what it lacks in charm and culture, it makes up for in other ways - I for one, love how quickly all the roads are plowed here when it snows. Suburbs are suburbs... what makes one Denver suburb any better or worse than another? They all have positives and negatives.

Last edited by Ludachris; 10-22-2009 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 02:06 AM

177 posts, read 420,555 times
What a nice photo tour vegaspilgrim. Thanks! Really enjoyed it.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 PM

87 posts, read 245,847 times
I too was also intrigued by the indoor skydiving. Perhaps after we move back to Denver I will get a chance to check it out.

Thanks for taking the time to give us a "snapshot" of an area that we may not have ever gone to without it.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM

345 posts, read 970,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
There seems to be a lot of resentment towards suburbs here in Denver, at least from what we've noticed. Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, Parker, they all get bashed by people in other parts of the metro area... as if the older suburbs are any less suburban.
My personal gripe with the suburbs is there isn't usually anything I want to do later on at night. That and commute times can be bad....not a fan of sitting in traffic if I can help it.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusmgm View Post
My personal gripe with the suburbs is there isn't usually anything I want to do later on at night. That and commute times can be bad....not a fan of sitting in traffic if I can help it.
I can understand that. You definitely can't have all the nightlife in the burbs as you have downtown. But to be honest, we were quite surprised at the number of busy sports bars and other social night life in the south metro area. Not all of them are our cup of tea, but there are a few good choices. Quite a bit more than in other 'burbs we've lived in or have been around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver