Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:06 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Also, how far do you have to go to get above tree-line, from Denver?
It is not easy, I am looking for an area with lots of trees but without a lot of rain. I like to have some sun, but partly cloudy days are the best, especially if it is cloudy in the morning and sunny in the afternoons. Thanks.
FYI tree line is around 11,000' give or take a few hundred feet.
If you find a place with lots of trees rain is pretty much necessary to keep them alive
The weather in CO is typically the opposite of what you describe. We have lots and lots of sunny days. Sunny days sometimes turn cloudy in the afternoon, not the other way around.
It sounds like coastal California or Oregon would suit you.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:10 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Also, how far do you have to go to get above tree-line, from Denver?

It is not easy, I am looking for an area with lots of trees but without a lot of rain. I like to have some sun, but partly cloudy days are the best, especially if it is cloudy in the morning and sunny in the afternoons. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
About 7000 feet in altitude.
Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure Katiana means 7,000 feet higher up than Denver; so once you're about 12,000 ft elevation plus or minus, you're above timberline. You can drive to that level of elevation in about an hour from Denver if you go up Mount Evans. You start seeing natural pine tree forests at about 6,000 ft and up-- right about where the foothills begin. Everything below 6,000 ft, east of Denver is pretty much a treeless prairie. Other than aspen trees, not really any "leafy" trees in the mountains. Right now there's an ecological disaster going on right before our very eyes, where lodgepole pine forests in the mountains are rapidly dying, turning red, being bitten up by beetles. I was up in Grand Lake a few weeks ago and it was absolutely sickening.

Wheregirl, I honestly think you're looking at the wrong place. The description of the climate you're looking for that you gave above sounds a lot like California. Colorado, especially in the summer, tends to be the exact opposite-- the day might start off perfectly sunny in the morning (which is great if you're an early bird), and then by noon or afternoon it gets cloudy with frequent ferocious thunderstorms. Colorado is the wrong place to be looking for leafy greenery. For some reason that tends to be one of the most common misconceptions of people of who have never been to Colorado-- they think it's a lot greener than it actually is. I think you should look at either the Pacific Northwest or the Appalachian mountains in the eastern US.

Edit: hipchick said pretty much exactly the same thing I said-- right as I was typing my response.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:15 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am considering the Dever area for relocation. Which area has lots of trees and easy access to tree-shaded trails, and clean air? Thanks.

For other considerations: I am young single, and like to be around friendly and intelligent people.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
You have posted in many forums on C-D over the last few months, saying you're considering relocating to places as diverse as Seattle, Arkansas, Santa Fe, Connecticut and many more. If the most important factor for you in where you live is tree-shaded trails, Colorado is not a good choice.
Quote:
If you have no helpful information to offer, then stop bothering other people from doing their research. You obvously have no idea of the process involved in choosing a relocation spot.

Fortunately most people are far nicer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
. . .
Wheregirl, I honestly think you're looking at the wrong place. The description of the climate you're looking for that you gave above sounds a lot like California. Colorado, especially in the summer, tends to be the exact opposite-- the day might start off perfectly sunny in the morning (which is great if you're an early bird), and then by noon or afternoon it gets cloudy with frequent ferocious thunderstorms. Colorado is the wrong place to be looking for leafy greenery. For some reason that tends to be one of the most common misconceptions of people of who have never been to Colorado-- they think it's a lot greener than it actually is. I think you should look at either the Pacific Northwest or the Appalachian mountains in the eastern US.

Edit: hipchick said pretty much exactly the same thing I said-- right as I was typing my response.
Wheregirl does not wish to hear about the reality of our climate. As she told me,
Quote:
If you have no helpful information to offer, then stop bothering other people from doing their research. You obvously have no idea of the process involved in choosing a relocation spot.

Fortunately most people are far nicer.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure Katiana means 7,000 feet higher up than Denver; so once you're about 12,000 ft elevation plus or minus, you're above timberline.
Yes, that is what I meant, about 12,000 feet. I'm also expressing my surprise that someone actually considering Denver and having these criteria would not have looked into this on their own.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:18 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,355 times
This C-D forum is definitely a reflection of the population. I have encountered only nice and helpful folks in every other place in my process of researching a relocation spot, then surprise---two aggressively unfriendly invidividuals in the Boulder forum showed up---after some other very nice and helpful folks in Boulder. Unfortunately they also come to the Denver forum.

So I am experiencing first hand now what a lot of other people complain about Boulder on this site---it is not that Boulder doesn't have nice people, but it is just that the nasty ones there are aggressively and pointlessly trying to bother you because they have no idea who they are. There is definitely a higher percentage of the aggressively unkind individuals in Boulder than a lot of other places.

But, I think I can still enjoy Boulder---I just ignore those nasty ones and focus on the truly nice people in Boulder. There are plenty of nice people in Boulder, those nasty ones that stand out counts towards nothing.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:26 PM

This is a very strange, I have not encoutered in other states' forums these kind of individuals that have very strange intentions. And they seem to gang together. Just in the few minutes of typing a message they could all pop up at the same time.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
Quote:
But, I think I can still enjoy Boulder---
Good luck with that. Personally I say nuke the hippie-crits and get it over with. I am liberal and that town makes me ashamed to admit as much.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:00 PM

What is your experiences about that town?

Perhaps I should understand this aggressive nastiness from complete strangers for no reasons whatsoever before deciding to move there. It is shocking, I have never encountered a similar thing in the U.S., and not on the forum for any other town/state on this site.

What is it that you and other people who have visited/lived there find so nasty by some of the individuals there?

Does it ever pose a threat to your physical well-being, or are they just looking for psychological prey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Good luck with that. Personally I say nuke the hippie-crits and get it over with. I am liberal and that town makes me ashamed to admit as much.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Boulder appeals to some, not to others. It's an affluent university town in a gorgeous setting with a very liberal bent. That's not to say that the place is devoid of conservatives, but they're not particularly vocal. Real estate in Boulder is extremely expensive, and it has a reputation for being overrun with wealthy California & New York transplants. Not saying it's true, but the perception is widespread.

Another town that might appeal to you is Golden. It's a lot like Boulder, but a bit more down-to-earth. It's also a university town (Colorado School of Mines), and it has a nice, walkable downtown. The paved trail that parallels Clear Creek is especially pretty. Golden is also the home of Coors beer. If it weren't for the commute, I definitely would have considered it when I moved to Colorado.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 PM

857 posts, read 1,732,388 times
Quote:
Perhaps I should understand this aggressive nastiness from complete strangers for no reasons whatsoever before deciding to move there. It is shocking, I have never encountered a similar thing in the U.S., and not on the forum for any other town/state on this site.
I agree. The four corners' states respective forums have a lot of problem posters. Many of the people in these states are not transplants; their families go back for many, many generations.

As a result, I think what it COULD be is that some of the people in CO/NM/AZ/UT have a proud heritage, and feel a need to protect the status quo from the newcomers -- including newbies on discussion forums who are considering moving in.

I think that parts of Washington, Oregon, California, are more respective and welcoming to newcomers than the Rocky Mountain states. On the other hand, Colorado in personality tests (link below) scores VERY closely to the west coast, however some of the posters here are an exception. Or, if they ARE NOT an exception to the population, then they are painting a perception that IS NOT representative of reality. Then, people "reply" to the posts, assuming they are reality, and it becomes chaotic. Then it becomes a "he said, she said" sort of dialogue, and threads are closed in such instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Oh my. These types of pot shots aren't very helpful, either, and many reply buttons will be pressed in earnest.

Check out personality types in all 50 states. The higher the openness to experience score, it's easier to assimilate, I've found - but that's just me, and I scored in the top 10% of that category. Colorado is #9 out of 50, so that's encouraging, and their unemployment has been 6% +/- |1.5|* for 16 months (since 9/19/08, the stock market crash), due to Colorado FISCAL conservatism.

Bottom line, I guess that I would NOT give up on Boulder or Denver based on THIS thread.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122211987961064719.html

*|X.(X)| meaning absolute value

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 12-18-2009 at 07:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver