Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:20 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times

Advertisements

Does your son have any close friends in Texas that would be willing to take him in for the year?

I moved my senior year of High School. It wasn't the end of the world but it was difficult and I do feel like I missed out on some things because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 09:16 PM

19 posts, read 50,932 times
Yes, he has some friends but no one has offered to do it. They just said, how sad!!!!, WoW, I cannot believe it!!!!!, I don't want that to happen to me!!!!, but no one offered yet.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:48 AM

156 posts, read 717,616 times
We relocated from Texas (DFW suburbs) to Denver early this year. My DD was a sophomore at the time, and we waited until the first semester in Texas was over before we moved (end of January). My DH started his new job here (downtown) in November of 08, and it was VERY hard on our family with him being in Denver and us still being in Texas, and it was expensive (he flew home every week). Thankfully his new company covered our relocation completely, including a generous stipend for our temporary living arrangements, but it was still costly for us both financially and emotionally.

I'm surprised my DD didn't kill us, lol, because she had to change schools TWICE! When we came here in late January, we enrolled both our kids in Douglas County Schools, because that is where our corporate housing was, and that is where we THOUGHT we were going to buy a home. But after only a few weeks in Douglas County schools, we knew it was not the right district for us. We ended up buying a home in Centennial in the Cherry Creek School District. The kids finished out the year in Douglas County Schools, but just started this new school year in Cherry Creek Schools (my DD is now a junior).

Now, my DD is very shy, which makes a move like this hard, but she did survive. In fact, she has already made several friends at her new high school (and school has only been in session 2 weeks), and has joined some clubs, and loves her classes and teachers.

That being said, however, I would not/could not have made her move for her senior year. That just seems like too much. And with your son playing sports, it seems like it would be even harder for him. I do realize what a difficult situation your family is in, but honestly, if there is any way possible, from a social/emotional aspect, I'd let him finish out the year.

I can tell you that credit-wise, it should not be an issue for him. If anything, he will probably have MORE credits than most of his classmates if he were to transfer here. Colorado seems to require a lot less than Texas did in terms of graduation requirements. I want to say it is in the neighborhood of only 24 credits. My DD (coming in as a junior to her new school district here) already had 15.5 credits, and she is only taking 6 classes this year (she is on a block schedule and has one period off each block day).

If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me. I wish you luck with your family's situation! I know it's a hard one!

Old 09-06-2009, 12:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelfs View Post
Yes, he has some friends but no one has offered to do it. They just said, how sad!!!!, WoW, I cannot believe it!!!!!, I don't want that to happen to me!!!!, but no one offered yet.
This issue came up when my father got transferred the summer before my bro's senior year. (I was going off to college then.) As I already posted, my mom talked to the counselors at both his old school and his new school to be, and they all said the kid belongs with his family. One of my bro's friends did offer (I don't know if his parents were aware of it), but my parents declined. Senior year is a big year academically, with decisions to make that affect your future, such as college, job, scholarships, etc. These are decisions the kid ought to be making with his family. I would think the only other viable solution would be for one parent to stay in TX until the end of the school year.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:34 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
Quote:
Hi,

I am from Houston, TX and got a new job in Denver. I am acctually working at Denver without my family. My son is senior at Cy-fair High School and he is playing football. He wants to stay but we don't have family there so my plan is to fly back and forth as money can allow it.

I am not familiar with this situation but my son told me that if he moves to Denver before graduation, there is a chance he will have to do one more year because the credits are different. He also want to finish playing football this year (end of December).

Anyone with an experience similar, please help.
I am spending a fortune being here just by myself (lodging, rental car and food) and I want to know my options.
He could be right, however it is unlikely. Texas has generally weak school standards, wheras Colorado's are on the upper-end.

Usually if there is a graduation credit issue they will recommend he take extra classes or summer courses. I think you'll also notice an improvement in the quality of the education he receives in Colorado because Texas I believe has statistically the worst overall school system in the nation.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
Quote:
I am acctually working at Denver without my family.

I am not familiar with this situation but my son told me that if he moves to Denver before graduation, there is a chance he will have to do one more year because the credits are different.

I am spending a fortune being here just by myself (lodging, rental car and food) and I want to know my options.
If you are here and you said your family is there, I think it would be a wise decision to just bite the bullet and let your son stay in Texas (with whomever he's staying with now). However...here are some other questions: Is your son getting good grades at his school or is this just all about football? Is he one of the "top" players on his football team (potential for a scholarship) or does he just like playing? Does your son have the self-discipline to keep up with his schoolwork if you weren't there to watch? What about his friends...are they friends you have to worry about (meaning--without you there, he could very well find himself in trouble)?

If he is getting excellent grades AND has the potential for a scholarship, I would make every effort to let him stay. Football in Colorado does not have the kind of "cult" following like Texas high school football does and if you found a so-called good football school (Cherry Creek High or Grandview High) he might not even get on the team. You don't want to blow his opportunity for college by making him move.

Not sure about the credits thing, but having had many friends who transferred all of the time, I have never heard of such a thing. Most schools have similar credits for graduation...but it's true what another poster said...Texas schools rank far below Colorado schools so perhaps he will have a harder time getting the same grades as he's getting in Texas.

As far as high school goes, it's a tough call for you because senior year is the true "make or break" year. Only on reflection do we realize that all the so-called life-and-death moments (prom, homecoming) are no big deal. But it IS a big deal when it comes to college and if there is a potential that your son's plans will be derailed, I think you owe it to him to let him stay in Texas. If he's just squeaking by in school and has no big plans for his future, then he's just going to have to suck it up and come to Colorado.

I was fortunate that I lived in the same house from elementary school to high school, but when I married my husband (who was in the military), I met lots of people who made the decision to leave their family at the old location so their child could finish out their Senior Year. I never heard them do the same thing for other grades...but clearly there must be something to it if military parents (who are well used to moving) were separating their families in order to let their kids graduate.

Also, don't forget that if he is planning on going to college in Texas, by moving him to Colorado, you are going to be paying thousand of dollars more because you are now "out of state."

Old 09-06-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
If you are here and you said your family is there, I think it would be a wise decision to just bite the bullet and let your son stay in Texas (with whomever he's staying with now). However...here are some other questions: Is your son getting good grades at his school or is this just all about football? Is he one of the "top" players on his football team (potential for a scholarship) or does he just like playing? Does your son have the self-discipline to keep up with his schoolwork if you weren't there to watch? What about his friends...are they friends you have to worry about (meaning--without you there, he could very well find himself in trouble)?

If he is getting excellent grades AND has the potential for a scholarship, I would make every effort to let him stay. Football in Colorado does not have the kind of "cult" following like Texas high school football does and if you found a so-called good football school (Cherry Creek High or Grandview High) he might not even get on the team. You don't want to blow his opportunity for college by making him move.

Not sure about the credits thing, but having had many friends who transferred all of the time, I have never heard of such a thing. Most schools have similar credits for graduation...but it's true what another poster said...Texas schools rank far below Colorado schools so perhaps he will have a harder time getting the same grades as he's getting in Texas.

As far as high school goes, it's a tough call for you because senior year is the true "make or break" year. Only on reflection do we realize that all the so-called life-and-death moments (prom, homecoming) are no big deal. But it IS a big deal when it comes to college and if there is a potential that your son's plans will be derailed, I think you owe it to him to let him stay in Texas. If he's just squeaking by in school and has no big plans for his future, then he's just going to have to suck it up and come to Colorado.

I was fortunate that I lived in the same house from elementary school to high school, but when I married my husband (who was in the military), I met lots of people who made the decision to leave their family at the old location so their child could finish out their Senior Year. I never heard them do the same thing for other grades...but clearly there must be something to it if military parents (who are well used to moving) were separating their families in order to let their kids graduate.

Also, don't forget that if he is planning on going to college in Texas, by moving him to Colorado, you are going to be paying thousand of dollars more because you are now "out of state."
A couple of comments:

I think the "credits" issue is untrue, and could be cleared up easily by talking to a counselor at any public high school in this state. It is possible that a senior in high school may be "forgiven" a few of them, if he hasn't taken the courses. Colorado history is not required for high school graduation.

As for the out-of-state tuition, many states have relaxed their rules now, and have policies such as "if you attended high school there for three years, you are considered in-state" (Illinois) and other little minutiiae. I would check with the TX officials about that.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A couple of comments:

Colorado history is not required for high school graduation.

As for the out-of-state tuition, many states have relaxed their rules now, and have policies such as "if you attended high school there for three years, you are considered in-state" (Illinois) and other little minutiiae. I would check with the TX officials about that.
Possibly...but that depends on the state. I only know that Florida does not allow out-of-state residents to go in-state, even if they have lived there all through high school. That was the reason my neighbors in Tampa split their family up for their daughter's senior year. Out of state tuition was more than $10,000 more than in-state and there was no bending the rules.

Also, those classes like Colorado History can be taken his senior year if necessary. He's probably already taken Texas history...I think most schools have similar classes.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Possibly...but that depends on the state. I only know that Florida does not allow out-of-state residents to go in-state, even if they have lived there all through high school. That was the reason my neighbors in Tampa split their family up for their daughter's senior year. Out of state tuition was more than $10,000 more than in-state and there was no bending the rules.

Also, those classes like Colorado History can be taken his senior year if necessary. He's probably already taken Texas history...I think most schools have similar classes.
Colorado does not require Colorado history in high school.

http://bvsd.org/graduation/requireme...uirements.aspx

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-06-2009 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Wrong link

Old 09-06-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Colorado does not require Colorado history in high school.
Hmmm...we had a girl who babysat last year for us (she was a junior at Grandview High) who had a big book that said "Colorado" on the cover and she asked if it was okay to study for her history test when our kids went to sleep. I haven't lived here long so I don't know...I had to take Washington state history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: