Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 11:35 PM

4 posts, read 15,444 times

Advertisements

I have been in Michigan all of my life and frankly, I am so very tired of this state. The unemployment rate is 16%, if you have a job your salary in being cut or not moved, the auto industry is done.....heck, I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration and have been unemployment for 16 months.

So, I am seriously considering taking the little savings I have left and move to Denver. So why Denver? We about six years back, I took a plane from California to Denver. Now my last stop was suppose to be in Detroit but due to the horrible ride over the mountains I experienced, I refused to get back on a plane.

So anyway, I came up with this great idea to catch the Amtrak home. Little did I know the train station was like 30-40 miles from the airport. This is when I feel in love with Denver.

So, some nice people at the airport introduced me to your rail/bus system, which BY THE WAY is awesome!! The bus took me right downtown to the train from the airport. Along the way, I had the opportunity to see how BEAUTIFUL Denver is. You guys have a great city.

While waiting on my train, I had a small opportunity to experience Downtown Denver. People everywhere but everyone was so nice....even to a out-of-towner. I ate at a great restaurant, had a beer with people I did not know and really experienced a great time. I wish the visit could have been longer.

So fast-forward to now, my kids are in college, my marriage is going to hell in a handbasket, I have no real job (just some P/T income from a Janitorial Business that is going NOWHERE in the Michigan economy), my car will be paid off in October and both of my parents passed in the last four years. I have nothing keeping me in Michigan anymore and my kids can come out to Denver and see me, if they want.

So I have some quick questions:
-How is the employment situation out in Denver? Can people find a job, especially people that relocate to the area?

-What is the average rental rates for a 1 Bedroom apartment (will move into a 2 bedroom later, after I am settled and have a stable job)?

-Is there places that you can go in Denver to meet people (especially, more so, as a out-of-tower....I know NO ONE in Denver)?

-What is the African-American population in the city?

-Do you know any employers that are hiring? I have 6 years experience a Retail Management/Customer Service/8 Years Sales Experience and a Bachelor's Degree? I will send my resume to people with legitimate employment opportunities?

-What is the best way to get involved with the Denver culture?
-How LONG does the winter last (including snow)? From Michigan, I am use to snow but I do not wish to experience a 5-6 months of winter either?

Thanks, in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 AM

90 posts, read 367,968 times
I imagine Denver wouldn't be a difficult place to find a job any more than moving to any other major metro area. Still difficult I'm sure, but probably nothing like Detroit where the city is so reliant on a sub-standard American industry.

One bedroom apartments can be as low as the mid 500's to as high as you want, depending on where you live. $600-$700 gets you living in areas with very little major crime, $800 gets a "luxury apartment" tag on the signage of your property.

In terms of meeting people, there are a ton of transplants here, very few people living in Denver are natives anymore and there are MANY midwesterners. Denver seems to have a midwest mindset more than anything else, with perhaps a splash of Californi-Texication. I would suggest joining a club, a class or some social activity where you see the same people of similar interests routinely.

African American population in "the city" is fairly high as with most big cities, but outside the city there's a noticeable dearth of black people. VERY white. And hispanic. Not very diverse at all when you look at the metro area as a whole, so if you're used to diversity, you might be pretty shocked to find just how white it is.

As for the long winters, Denver definitely has long winters. Lots of snow here, even though it's very sunny and the snow melts fast because the sun is so close to you here at altitude. Not sure what a Michigan winter is like, but let's just say in Denver it could snow after the kids get out of school and Halloween might feel like Christmas morning, depending on the year. Then again last year Halloween was very warm. The long winters are one thing I absolutely hate about Denver and is major reason I don't see myself here long-term. Being from the mid-Atlantic U.S., I didn't see snow till December and it was pretty much over by March/first week of April. Nothing is worse than thinking it's Spring, only to get hit with a blizzard that sends cars spinning out of control on the roads. Just writing about it makes me hate winter all the more.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,480,657 times
Quote:
African American population in "the city" is fairly high as with most big cities
No, it is actually quite low as a percentage and in total numbers.

Quote:
As for the long winters, Denver definitely has long winters. Lots of snow here,
You live here? Long winters? You have got to be kidding. Lots of snow? Not by any stretch of the imagination does Denver receive a lot of snow. Go visit Michigan or upstate New York for a winter.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:35 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,770,914 times
Well, first of all, Denver is definitely a good city - you won't be disappointed. I was in fact just there this past Saturday, walking around Washington Park, and realized (as I do every time I'm there) that I really ought to move there sometime.

Anyway, unemployment wise - I don't think it's too good of a situation. From what I hear, it's pretty tight.

The African American population is, maybe, what 15% of the city? I don't know the figure, but it's a noticeable part.

While around the park, I noticed a couple houses for rent. They were three bedrooms with basement, looked like maybe 1200/1300 sq. ft. Out of curiosity, I called one of them and the owner said they were renting for $1400. Therefore, in that particular neighborhood (which may be one of the more desirable areas, I don't really know): I would guess a one bedroom at $800 or $900 might be reasonable?

Winters in Denver can last for several months, but I wouldn't worry about the snow. It snows intermittently and usually melts off in a couple days. Most winter days are sunny without any snow on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveYpsi09 View Post
-How is the employment situation out in Denver? Can people find a job, especially people that relocate to the area?

-What is the average rental rates for a 1 Bedroom apartment (will move into a 2 bedroom later, after I am settled and have a stable job)?

-Is there places that you can go in Denver to meet people (especially, more so, as a out-of-tower....I know NO ONE in Denver)?

-What is the African-American population in the city?

-What is the best way to get involved with the Denver culture?
-How LONG does the winter last (including snow)? From Michigan, I am use to snow but I do not wish to experience a 5-6 months of winter either?

Thanks, in advance....

Old 09-08-2009, 04:01 PM

181 posts, read 582,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The African American population is, maybe, what 15% of the city? I don't know the figure, but it's a noticeable part.
Census Bureau says 9.9% in Denver proper.

Denver County, Colorado - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

I don't have anything to back this up, but I'd guess 5-7% tops in the metro area.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,616 times
The winter here is very mild compared to Michigan. I moved here from Houston, imagining that it would be a 6' blanket of snow all winter, and it's not like that at all. It's very sunny, cold but dry (so not bone-chillingly cold like damp places are), and it snows, but not all that often, and they do a good job keeping the streets clear.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 PM

36 posts, read 87,187 times
based on my research before i moved here a few weeks ago, just outside downtown area btw (ive looked in thornton, centennial, aurora, etc)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveYpsi09 View Post

So I have some quick questions:
-How is the employment situation out in Denver? Can people find a job, especially people that relocate to the area? depends on what ur lookin for but i answered in later question ..

-What is the average rental rates for a 1 Bedroom apartment (will move into a 2 bedroom later, after I am settled and have a stable job)? ive seen from $400-700 on rent.com type sites for a 1bd/1bth

-Is there places that you can go in Denver to meet people (especially, more so, as a out-of-tower....I know NO ONE in Denver)? ive passed so many bars/lounges walking to rockies games from the lightrail

-What is the African-American population in the city? not a lot, but i havent really taken notice

-Do you know any employers that are hiring? I have 6 years experience a Retail Management/Customer Service/8 Years Sales Experience and a Bachelor's Degree? I will send my resume to people with legitimate employment opportunities? i have 8yrs of sales/marketing experience and NO degree. using denverjobs and craigslist ive got many callbacks for sales positions with a $30k-$50k base salary, some are +commission. got hired in a little over 2 weeks

-What is the best way to get involved with the Denver culture? the people ive come across LOVE sports ...

-How LONG does the winter last (including snow)? From Michigan, I am use to snow but I do not wish to experience a 5-6 months of winter either? dunno but meteorologists keep sayin somethin about el nino bein around this time so they predict few storms but crazier than usual :shrugs:

Thanks, in advance....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver