Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 11,169 times

Advertisements

We four Ohio girls are moving to Denver in September and don't know where to live. We just graduated from college so we want to live somewhere fun and young. Being girls in a new city, we also want to make sure it is a relatively safe location. Since there will be four of us--we want to lease a house. We are looking to spend between $500-$700 a month per person. Any suggestions????

One more question: If we are moving out in September, when is the best time to start looking for a place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
At $500-$700 per person times four, you should have NO problems finding a rental house. That will get you a place virtually anywhere, except maybe in the most exclusive old-money parts of Denver or Boulder.

Being that you're young and looking for activities, I would suggest either the city (urban) Denver, or Boulder. There is so much going on in both Denver or Boulder all the time. Frankly, I think you'll be bored in the suburbs, which are mostly families with kids (although Boulder and Denver both have some families as well). You might consider the outlying areas if you want to live in the mountains; but that's a whole different story. Anyway, although Denver does have its bad sections, there are many parts that are quite safe, and the same could be said for Boulder.

Fortunately, your $2000-$2800 house budget will get you a place just about anywhere. I'm going to suggest that you look at a neighborhood that is close to downtown Denver (or Boulder) but not necessarily right in it -- although with your budget you could do that if you want (If you live downtown, you may have trouble finding a single-family house big enough for four anyway). Washington Park, Cheesman Park, Congress Park, Highlands, or even Cherry Creek area would be great options. The area around DU is also getting nice -- although it is a lot quieter than you would think around a college campus. Generally the areas to the southeast of downtown is fairly nice, although northwest Denver neighborhoods (Highlands, Berkeley) are turning nice as well well. Anything around Cherry Creek neighborhood is expensive, but given your budget I think you could still find something there.

In Boulder, you could probably find a single-family home within a mile or so of Pearl Street Mall if you want. That's probably the best location in Boulder. If I were you, I'd not live "on the Hill" (west of CU campus) -- that area is 24-hour party zone. Unless that's what you want.

Good luck, and feel free to ask about any areas that you like.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:54 AM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Highlands/Sunnyside/Sloans Lake area would all be good choices for 20 somethings.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:03 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Before you jump in with a lease, you need to do some research if the particular municipality or county you are moving to actually permits four unrelated persons living together in the same single-family house. A lot of cities have ordinances limiting it to 2 or 3. Some cities strictly enforce those rules, some look the other way. Not sure if Denver or Boulder does that... you need to check.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:08 PM

32 posts, read 141,123 times
Four women, just out of college? You can stay at my place for free

Seriously, start looking for a neighborhood 4 or 5 months out(that would be now). Start looking for a rental 2-3 months out (next month) so you can get a good feel for what's available, what things cost, and a specific part of a neighborhood that you like. Start narrowing your search down to specific properties that are available 2 months out(July), and be prepared to sign a lease 1 month out(August). Most quality rentals are not available any father than 1 month in advance. But also beware of those that are available "immediately". Many times (not always) they are vacant because they are undesirable. Truly quality rentals will generally get rented before the current tennants move out (again, not always, there are bound to be exceptions)

Good luck.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:06 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Is there a specific reason why you've chosen Denver?

With your target budget, you can choose anywhere along the Front Range, or up in the mountains, too. Vail, Steamboat, Aspen (downvalley area), all come to mind.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 11,169 times
Thank you for the advice!
We are checking out everyone's suggestions. 3 out of the 4 of us will have jobs in downtown Denver so we want to live fairly close to downtown.

We are going to keep researching areas...thanks for the help! We may have additional questions.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:00 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingOhio View Post
We're 4 OH girls, moving to Denver in September and don't know where to live. We just graduated from college so we want to live somewhere fun and young. Being girls in a new city...
Awwww Mommmm....can I be young and single again.....? Huh Mom?

s/Mike from back east
My hair is NOT gray....uhhh...the sun bleached it...yeah, that's it..the sun... we get 300 days of sun a year here....

Old 06-16-2007, 09:34 PM

Location: I live in the highly over populated city of Denver where the illegals thrive.
24 posts, read 92,183 times
Default Here ya go

What kind of fun are you looking for. Seriously, I'm not being a freak. The entire state of Colorado has its ups and downs. If you are looking for a nightlife then Denver is truly the place. If you are looking for outdoor fun then a little farther west is where you go. Perhaps Golden or Bear Creek area. Denver has, like all over populated cities, many problems. Boulder is pretty much a place for all walks of life. Ya get both nightlife as well as the typical college town life. You also get some awsome mountains, fishing, river fun, partys, and alot of just cool people. People there don't care what your background is as long as you are fun. Ft. Collins is also a college town, but it is more of a laid back atmosphere. The college kids usually come to Denver to do the partying. Well' I hope this helps ya out. Good luck

Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
The Washington Park area is nice and has some nice homes you could rent. It's close to downtown but without some of the difficulty of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver