Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:16 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,160 times

Advertisements

No the Havana location doesn't exist anymore. And no offense to people who really like Krispy Kreme, but they're just no Dunkin Donuts. Egg and cheese on a blueberry bagel is where it's at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 PM

7 posts, read 22,266 times
Jim, we lived in Denver for a year before moving to Durham so my husband could finish a medical residency. We have lived all over the country, and nowhere, including Hawaii, has better weather IMHO than Denver. We are looking at moving back to Denver area as my husband just got a job there. I think Highlands Ranch might be a little like Apex/ Cary area. It's a planned community and convenient as far as shopping and schools are concerned. There are hospitals all over the city so it would just depend on which you would be commuting to. My husband has to cover several hospitals/clinics and we think Littleton and Highlands Ranch are the most convenient to the hospitals he will be travelling to. Keep in mind that traffic in Denver is worse than Apex/ Cary area so you want to be a little closer to your destinations if you can help it. We loved how much Denver had for children -- a first class Science Museum (one of the best in the country), 4th nicest zoo in the U.S. (can't remember whose ranking that is), a Children's museum, a fun Aquarium, and loads of parks. There are really good schools in Littleton and Highlands Ranch areas and homes (can be) more affordable than closer to Denver. HR is newer like Cary and Apex area. The only problem I see with HR is that it is basically an HOA-run city full of tract housing. If you're o.k. with that, it might be a good option -- tons of kids and good schools. Cherry Creek area has phenomenal schools -- I think the best in the state -- but it is more expensive. Still, it has a very quaint city area, and offers a lot in way of charm and more unique architecture. I just can't afford it for the amount of land and house I would like. I've heard Lamar's (a doughnut place) in Denver has won national awards.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,160 times
We're currently in Winston-Salem, NC. and looking to move to Denver as soon as our adoption is complete. I grew up in Atlanta, and moved here a few years back trying to escape the humidity of ATL. It IS a little better than ATL, and you can certainly buy more house for your $, but the tradeoff is job opps, culture, decent restaurants, entertainment, etc. I have visited Denver several times in the last year for extended periods, and it's the bomb. It has the energy of ATL, but without the attitudes, traffic, and humidity. Denver traffic is worse than here, but certainly tolerable. Just like any major city, finding a "cheap" home in a desirable location is difficult. I'm a tree dweller, and I was really disappointed with the scarcity of trees in Denver. The weather makes it worth it though. Washington Park, Observatory Park, City park, all have more trees that some of the outskirts, and the $$$ goes with that. I'm hoping to find a fixer upper that needs a lot of work.......oh, and a job that pays well. Your medical device gig is something I considered, but breaking into that is proving to be quite difficult. Good luck to you and hopefully we both make it out there from NC.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 AM

16 posts, read 57,875 times
Default Transplanting again and again

Hi,
I lived in Denver for about 13 years before moving to Durham. I thought I could add a little helpful advice to you since I've lived both places (grew up in NC).
Denver is spread out so there are many options for neighborhoods to your liking. If you want more open space and to be closer to the mtns. I recommend Lakewood which is a lovely area close to Morrison (a cool small mtn. town with restaurants and stores). It has ample bike paths and nice affordable homes.
If you prefer to be closer to the airport, Aurora is to the east of main Denver and is pretty affordable as well. It's more town and urban feeling than Lakewood, and more diverse culturally.
Downtown Denver has grown a lot in the past 20 years, and could be cool for a young family. It's very hard to commute into town though as the streets are hard to navigate from the outlying areas.
I lived in Washington Park as well, but it's pretty expensive for home buyers. It has a lovely park in the middle.
Good luck and enjoy your move,
it's good to change your life around once in a while, as it keeps us on our toes, right? LOL
Michelle

Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 15,854 times
kann -

what pricerange are you looking for, and what is your timeframe?
Jim

Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
Try LaMar's Donuts. They're waaaaay better than Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme, IMHO !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver