Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 PM

33 posts, read 111,433 times

Advertisements

We as a family are landing in Denver soon and looking at the Westminster/Broomfield area.......Looking for any input on either Cotton Creek (Westminster), Meridian or Coyote Ridge Schools in Broomfield?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 PM

7 posts, read 19,544 times
What kind of input are you looking for?

Those 3 schools are all part of the Adams 12 Five Star school district. You can look up the school accountability reports at this link: School Accountability Report - School Search (http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp - broken link)

All 3 of the schools you mentioned earned a score of "high" on overall academic performance on the state assessments for the 2007-08 year. But of course, the assessments are just one piece of the puzzle.

We recently moved to CO from MI ourselves (I recognize your name from other threads) and we ended up settling in Westminster. Our oldest goes to Cotton Creek. School has only been in session for about 3-4 weeks, but we've personally been very happy with Cotton Creek so far. The neighbors I've had a chance to talk to about school also seem happy there.

If we hadn't ended up with the house that we bought, our Plan B was to buy in Broomfield -- Coyote Ridge boundaries specifically. We had been quite impressed with Coyote Ridge when we researched it. Happy to share my thoughts on what we liked about the school, but what we found impressive and liked may not be the same thing(s) that YOU are looking for in a school. Hence, it would be helpful to know what kind of input you're looking for.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 AM

698 posts, read 2,046,348 times
My daughter has gone to Cotton Creek for several years and we are very happy with the school, the faculty, and the principal (who is exceptional). My daughter was struggling with some reading issues and her teacher came up with a program of extra help for her and now she is doing well. Most of my neighbors send their kids to Cotton Creek (right now there are around 50 kids getting on the bus in the morning, so many that the bus stops nowhere else).

Cotton Creek's building is a little aged, but it has a nice kid sized layout and is cozy--not institutional or prison like which I've seen at some newer schools (most specifically the Academy of Charter Schools which is a K-12 charter just to east of my neighborhood, their building is brand new but very cold).

I've heard good things about Coyote Ridge also but have no personal experience with it. You can't go wrong with either school in my opinion. I wouldn't let that determine you choice of house (unless of course, you have some special educational needs I don't know of and one school is better than the other in that area). I would more consider the house itself and the neighborhood for that decision (well, that and price of course).

Good luck, and welcome to Denver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver