Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 PM

171 posts, read 581,747 times

Advertisements

Hi Denver-ites!
So Cal transplant here, getting ready to experience my first true winter (I think it's arrived early).

Question: How many times per winter do you really drive in snow in the Denver Metro area? Not a day after a storm and the roads are mostly dry....but when there's snow on the actual road?

Money's tight right now and I would like to put off a new/used car purchase until next year. Until then, my wife and I would have to share our Honda Civic during the "snow" days, but I dont know how feasible this is if it's required that we drive in the snow more than 10 times per winter....

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
The actual winter isn't here yet!!!! This is just mother nature's way of dangling it in front of us, it will be sunny and warm again before you know it.

There's no definite answer to this question. We'll have far more than 10 'driving in snow' days during any given winter. Sometimes it'll just be slushy, sometimes it'll be like driving in rain, sometimes you'll be sliding all over the place and others you'll be trying to trudge through a blanket of it (during the blizzard last year, it was a blast driving through it in my Jeep), and some days you shouldn't leave home.

When driving in the snow go slow and pay constant attention, it is a learned skill, so expect to have some failures while driving in it.

Leave SUPER early for work when it's snowing, even if it seems ridiculous when walking out the door. You'll thank me later.

And as far as having to share the vehicle, you'll just have to make it work. Why isn't it feasible to do it "more than 10 times per year"? Other options are public transit, carpools, cabs, etc.

I wish you luck.

-David, the former Southern Californian

Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I agree with David, and I'll add, this isn't particularly early for the first snow.

Denvers Winter/Cold Season Statistics

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/?n=denver_snowfall

As you can see, snow in September isn't unheard of. (See second link)

Old 09-22-2009, 07:40 PM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times
I live near Boulder and work in Denver. The last few years I've really only driven in "heavy" falling snow maybe 2-3 times per winter. Of course if it's a really big storm, just stay home

Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
We moved 2 years ago from central CA. I thought to myself, if it's snowing that hard, I'll just stay home. The very first snowy morning I had a doctor's appointment at 7:45 am! It took me 45 minutes to get there instead of 10 minutes, but that was not just due to the snow. There was also a train derailment that was causing some traffic problems!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
The best way is to deal with severe snows is to avoid it---do not drive. I grew up near Buffalo and that is always a good idea. Obviously, sometimes you cannot.

I would suggest that you become very familiar with the good Public Transit available before you actually have a need to use it. It is really hilarious to me, as a frequent user, when I see the frantic rush to use public transit on very bad days.
You see these desperate faces driving around the Park n' Rides looking for a space. They do not know the schedules; they do not know the fares; they do not know where to stand; they do not know the protocols and behaviors.

It is even funnier when you see how they are dressed like they are going to be always in their cars and they do not think that they will be waiting for the bus in the cold, and walking down slick sidewalks---they are use to getting out of their car and dashing into their offices. Worse of all, you got to listen to their selfish whining and complaining about what they do not like about public transit.

Of course on these days, buses are sometimes late and definitely crowded. That is when I recognize them and I get my jollies in life, by setting my fat butt on the vacant seat, that they think belongs to their bag. Of course, I shake, droll, and give them a flatus memory of the ride--so they will never come back---oh joy, oh joy...Too bad, I am retired and I now stay home on bad days...

Livecontent

Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
I live near Boulder and work in Denver. The last few years I've really only driven in "heavy" falling snow maybe 2-3 times per winter. Of course if it's a really big storm, just stay home
Unless you're a health care provider, in which case you'll be expected to put in an appearance, especially if you work in a hospital.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:10 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Leave SUPER early for work when it's snowing, even if it seems ridiculous when walking out the door. You'll thank me later.

This such a bizarrely insane (in a good way) statement which makes me wish I had read this around March or something.

There was one heavy snow day and I got screwed up, big time, leaving work at around the late afternoon.

This is when everything in the world looked blinding white (with cars queued up in every street) and I didn't even know I was driving into C-470 until after I ran through the toll and my gas talk was tending towards empty coz I was lazy and the hot air was eating up all oil. I somehow scampered home fine.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:34 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Well, to all of you "recently moved from California to Denver metro", have fun driving in the sometimes heavy, deep, slippery, blinding snow......we did it for the 5 1/2 we lived there (Parker area)! Both of our vehicles were 4-wheel drive and we did use the 4-wheel drive during many of the heavier snowy conditions. Some folks there will say "4-wheel drive just isn't necessary to have here", but we SURE were glad that we had it! Fortunately, even though we moved to Denver metro from So California, we were both originally from "snow States"........Indiana and Michigan. So, that being said, we really had no problems driving in the winter conditions there. But, when the snow was really coming down and piling up, both of us had a "snow day" off from work.
Now the only time we want to see snow is when we look at either photos or video of all the snow we encountered while living there!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:36 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
four wheel drive makes a big difference.
but you can get by without it if you're careful and if you avoid driving on heavy snow days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver