Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 11,836 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am a recent college graduate who will soon be planning a move to the Denver area. The company I will be working for is located in Aurora, so I'm trying to decide where I should start looking for apartments. I'm looking for a studio/1-bedroom apartment preferably in an area where younger people such as myself live.

Is it possible to find a place like that in the Aurora area, or would you recommend that I just look at the neighborhoods in Denver? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 02:07 PM

6,607 posts, read 9,155,980 times
Where is the job in Aurora? Aurora is huge. You may be able to live in Denver and commute depending on where it's at.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:34 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,135,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventimja View Post
Hello everyone. I am a recent college graduate who will soon be planning a move to the Denver area. The company I will be working for is located in Aurora, so I'm trying to decide where I should start looking for apartments. I'm looking for a studio/1-bedroom apartment preferably in an area where younger people such as myself live.

Is it possible to find a place like that in the Aurora area, or would you recommend that I just look at the neighborhoods in Denver? Thanks for your help.
Aurora is a gigantic suburb. As a young, single person, I wouldn't live in Aurora. There are some nice places to live within the city (SE Aurora where I'm at) but that is total suburbia...great for families, not singletons. Take a look at the map of where your company is locating to and then search from there. There are lots of threads here dedicated to young, single living. Find a few and see if they're far from your workplace. Aurora isn't all that bad...it's just that usually cheap rent goes hand-in-hand with gross area. It's not cheap to live in Denver unless you're coming from somewhere overpriced (California or the east coast), so if the rent seems too good to be true, it probably is. Take some time to do the research. Just choosing Denver isn't going to be the answer either as there are lots of places I wouldn't want to live in the city either.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Where is the job in Aurora? Aurora is huge. You may be able to live in Denver and commute depending on where it's at.
The job is located near the intersection of Airport Blvd. and State Road 30. I have looked at some of the other threads about places to live in Denver that would be of interest to younger people, and it looks like the drive from a place like Capitol Hill to my place of work would only be about 25-30 minutes.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:06 PM

6,607 posts, read 9,155,980 times
I would probably live in Cap Hill or Uptown (around 17th) if I were you, especially since you want to live where other young people live. There are great apartment deals in Aurora, but I worry that you would be bored living there.

I'm sort of having a similar issue --- I want to buy a house and I love a lot of the homes in the suburbs (especially the newer rustic mountain-style homes in places like Brighton and SE Aurora), but I worry that I would feel bored and isolated by being far away from other people my age and the things I like to do in Denver. I'm 27 if that makes a difference.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,365,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I would probably live in Cap Hill or Uptown (around 17th) if I were you, especially since you want to live where other young people live. There are great apartment deals in Aurora, but I worry that you would be bored living there.

I'm sort of having a similar issue --- I want to buy a house and I love a lot of the homes in the suburbs (especially the newer rustic mountain-style homes in places like Brighton and SE Aurora), but I worry that I would feel bored and isolated by being far away from other people my age and the things I like to do in Denver. I'm 27 if that makes a difference.
I'd second this. Plus the area your office is in isn't that great...

Old 10-11-2009, 06:41 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,483,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I'd second this. Plus the area your office is in isn't that great...
I "third" this....you do not want to live in Aurora. It's not even that great as a suburb. Stay close to downtown - Uptown, Capitol Hill, Lodo (pricey but worth it), Ballpark area just north of Coors Field, Highlands, or Wash Park.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:46 PM

56 posts, read 191,366 times
Check out the Washington Park and City Park neighborhoods

Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,334,037 times
Well, I will disagree I guess. There are many nice areas in Aurora. Yeah, you may want to stay a way from the north sections of Aurora but I really disagree with the whole stay-way form Aurora deal. There are over 300,000 people living in Aurora. "Aurora" is the size of 142.7 sq mi.

Now, I will completely agree that it is in no way a downtown feel but there are plenty of places, parks, trails, and things to do. All depends on what you like.

Yes, Aurora is not only a young-crowd type of a place like Downtown may be since there are more families living in Aurora than Downtown (which is not a surprise). If you need the downtown feel everyday, then perhaps yes you may want to love there.

Come for a visit, see the area, see what happens. If you work in Aurora, I'd opt to live in it and not mess with downtown (go there on weekends as you like).

Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,365,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
Well, I will disagree I guess. There are many nice areas in Aurora. Yeah, you may want to stay a way from the north sections of Aurora but I really disagree with the whole stay-way form Aurora deal. There are over 300,000 people living in Aurora. "Aurora" is the size of 142.7 sq mi.

Now, I will completely agree that it is in no way a downtown feel but there are plenty of places, parks, trails, and things to do. All depends on what you like.

Yes, Aurora is not only a young-crowd type of a place like Downtown may be since there are more families living in Aurora than Downtown (which is not a surprise). If you need the downtown feel everyday, then perhaps yes you may want to love there.

Come for a visit, see the area, see what happens. If you work in Aurora, I'd opt to live in it and not mess with downtown (go there on weekends as you like).
No doubt Aurora has good neighborhoods. And I also agree that living near work can remove a lot of stress in daily commuting. That said, I think many of Aurora's good neighborhoods are more in SE Aurora, and I don't know if that's necessarily more proximal to northern Aurora than the Capitol Hill area. Plus I think the latter is much better for a young person who doesn't own a house, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver