Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 03:29 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,297,757 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find the way to Chatfield Reservoir. I have the 2008 bike trial map, but I still don't get it.

I started on Bear Creek Trail, heading east from Lakewood. It turned into the S Platte River Trail. I made a right (south) over the S. Platte at a sign labeled Little Dry Gulch Trail (or something similar), crossed a street and went through a park. There were RR tracks on my left with a long, stopped freight train and also a sign for Englewood light rail Park n Ride nearby. Then the trail split and I would have had to cross a busy street. The map shows this as a major paved off-street trial, so i wonder if I made a wrong turn. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 04:04 PM

345 posts, read 973,898 times
You made a wrong turn somewhere. I'd help but I don't know the trail that far north.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:41 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,275 times
Yeah your directions confuse me.

The Bear Creek turns into the Platte trail headed north. If you cross the bridge where they meet you are on the Platte trail and really it is pretty straightforward.

It sounds to me like you managed to take a spur that headed east instead of the main trail.

Thing is though, I can't think of that many of them. There is one intersection further south that is circular and connects with another rather large path that heads off east ...

Old 10-16-2009, 07:02 PM

I know if I continue on the Platte River trial from Bear Creek trial, it turns north to downtown. How do I pick it up going south?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:50 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
Now this interested me--positive information about a good activity.

There have been many changes in this area where Bear Creek and the Platte meet and that is part of the confusion. Part of it is with the development in the city of Sheridan and the overall improvement of trails. In fact, new bridges are now ready to open to help transit this area of the trails City of Englewood : News The grand opening is this week.

To give you some idea of the overall trails in this area I would suggest this link to the South Suburban Park District SSPF and specifically this download PDF http://www.sspf.org/documents/Maps/S...ionTrls3b1.pdf

This area is called the Mary Carter Greenway along the South Platte Mary Carter Greenway

I hope all this information helps. If you go to the Grand Opening Celebrations of the new bridges, you probably can get some new good printed trail maps.

Livecontent

Old 10-16-2009, 08:31 PM

Thanks. I'm in the right general area because I saw signs for and was on part of the Mary Carter Greenway. I'll head that way again this weekend and see what happens. Being a weekend with more cyclists out, maybe I'll get some directions from someone once in the area. When I was there earlier this week, nobody else was around.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:46 PM

Time to answer my own question!

Went out biking today and found the correct bridge across the Platte to get the the southbound trail. It's directly across from the Regal Cinema Stadium 14. The problem, going eastbound, is the bridge is not labeled. After passing it, I noted the back of a sign facing westbound. So, I stopped, turned around, and saw it said welcome to the Mary Carter Greenway. Figured that was the right place turn-off and it was. I was going several miles too far.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:05 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,133,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Time to answer my own question!

Went out biking today and found the correct bridge across the Platte to get the the southbound trail. It's directly across from the Regal Cinema Stadium 14. The problem, going eastbound, is the bridge is not labeled. After passing it, I noted the back of a sign facing westbound. So, I stopped, turned around, and saw it said welcome to the Mary Carter Greenway. Figured that was the right place turn-off and it was. I was going several miles too far.
Beautiful day for a bike ride today, too. Hope you're enjoying discovering life in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver