Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 91,864 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm from KY and never been west to the Rockies (shame!). I'll take on a very long trip though, from Cincinnati to Seattle this December. One of the ways to go is through Denver, using I-70W or I-80W to SLC, and since I heard all kinds of controversial information, I was wondering which might be the better option. I'd appreciate any first-hand comments about the interstates and how it is to drive there in December. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 07:26 PM

82 posts, read 317,763 times
I would be flexible on which route depending on the weather. You may pick the northern route (I-80) and then a major snowstorm hits-it's December, or I-70 and there may be one there but not on I-80. I would have one in mind, but be flexible to change. Other than that, both are doable but would go with the lower altitude option both being the same.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Could be anything from pleasant sunshine and dry roads to a raging blizzard, especially I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction. Just keep your website on the weather sites and check the COLO DOT page for road conditions.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Thank you, I know passing the Rockies in the middle of December is "a bit" of a challenge, but such are the circumstances... I'd appreciate other comments, too

Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
I-80 is generally the more treacherous of the two even though it doesn't reach the altitudes that I-70 does because I-80 runs through mostly treeless country in Wyoming. Ground blizzards and high winds are common on I-80 through Wyoming in the winter.

I-70 has a lot more vehicle traffic (especially in Colorado), but there's a VERY desolate section of highway in Utah. Between Green River and Salina, Utah, there are no services (110 miles).

You could always take I-70 to Silverthorne, take Colorado 9 north to Kremmling, and then take US-40 west through northwestern Colorado all the way to Salt Lake City.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:37 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
Even with congestion and altitude, I'd much rather take I-70 during the winter, as I-80 can be extremely treacherous and lonely. The weather may be clear, but winds often blow consistently and snow drifts across the highway frequently, reducing visibility and making the highway impossible to traverse. On I-70, at least you're much more likely to have plenty of company (especially between Denver and Grand Junction).. in Wyoming, you may be stranded on a very isolated stretch of highway with no one around.. and it's like this through the entire Wyoming stretch.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:40 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Due to weather/storms passing through, either one can be open or closed, or simply a very difficult drive at the time you come through.

The last few days, for example, had some very difficult driving through Eastern Wyoming (and the road closed for awhile) while I-70 was clear and dry.

Since the situation can change dramatically as storm fronts move through, it's best to leave the decision time up to the last minute of conditions and area road forecasts. I-70 is a bit more scenic of a route, but both roads to SLC have stretches of 100 mile distances with minimal services, should you need assistance. I just drove I-80 from Cheyenne to SLC, round-trip, two weeks ago, and the route was an easy 6.5 hour drive with some modest construction in the Echo UT area to the Wyoming State line. I did encounter an "ice storm" of frozen rain in the Rawlins area on the return trip; about 15 miles of that storming out of the skies, although it melted upon hitting the road. Conditions over the last week, however, were a lot more adverse.

Not mentioned so far: carry a wintertime "emergency kit" in your car so you're prepared for typical wintertime needs out on the road. Spare warm clothing, ice/snow scrapers, jumper cables, food and beverages, small shovel, etc. Everybody's got their favorite stockpile of emergency gear and sooner or later some of it will be needed; if not for your own car, then perhaps somebody else out on the road you might assist. While you may regard the Rocky Mountain area as a big challenge for your trip, places like Eastern Washington are also famous for seriously inclement weather and stranded motorists, too. The passes in that area may be of lower elevation, but the snowfall depths and road icing conditions are treacherous.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:04 PM

Default Many thanks

Thank you all, for the comments and advice. We're still debating whether to take the drive or ship the car and fly from Denver...

Old 10-13-2009, 04:12 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
The short answer is, if you like scenery then the I70 route is the better choice. But it may also be the slower choice depending on weather conditions and snowstorms. If you feel like you're capable of driving in a snowy conditions and you're willing to concede that if a blizzard hits you might get stranded in a mountain town overnight, then go for the I70 option.

But here's what you could do: drive to denver. check the weather forecast. If a snowstorm is predicted for the mountains west of Denver, then take I-25 north to I-80. Otherwise, plan on using I70.

I personally like driving in the mountains in the winter, as long as its not snowing heavily. The Rockies are spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver