Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusmgm View Post
So if I want to blow red lights I should wear a ski mask?
I heard about a guy who wore a werewolf mask (or some similar mask) and piled up several of these tickets and got off scot-free -- they couldn't positively identify that it was him running the red lights.

Not sure if this was here in CO, or somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
IDK.

Why would any stupid dork go around doing premeditated red-light runnings?

I'm gonna put a mask on and run red lights on purpose.

What kind of a dill hole would even do this?

Down in Pueblo we have warning lights on the side of the road prior to the intersection that prevent people from t-boning and killing other people or getting t-boned and getting killed... rather than putting the technology into deterring the act via punishment and subsequent revenue.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:12 AM

664 posts, read 2,066,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
The trick to avoiding these tickets is covering your face with your hands (or something else that will obscure it). They can't ticket you if they can't see your face.

My woman got one of these tickets in Aurora once (Mississippi/Chambers), and they aren't cheap.
I believe the ticket goes to the driver of the car in any case. They don't give you points, only a fine so they don't have to prove that you were driving, only that it was your car (in Colorado at least). Same as a parking ticket.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
I believe the ticket goes to the driver of the car in any case. They don't give you points, only a fine so they don't have to prove that you were driving, only that it was your car (in Colorado at least). Same as a parking ticket.
Au contraire, the ticket my GF got in Aurora initially came to the house in my name, even though there were pictures on it of her driving the car, not me.

There was an option on the notice to check "this isn't me", and it asks you to fill in who it is (asks for their name, address and DL number if you have it) so they can issue the ticket to the correct person.

You are correct in that it doesn't add points or affect your driving record.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
rather than putting the technology into deterring the act via punishment and subsequent revenue.
Here in Denver, many of the stoplights have the timed crosswalks, which (most of the time) give you an idea as to when the stoplight will turn yellow. I like that.

If I know that I'm going near an intersection that has red-light cameras, I avoid it like the plague. I'll take an alternate route just to avoid them, which I guess is my way of boycotting them/voicing my opposition to them.

IMO, red-light cameras are just another way of The Man trying to stick it to us.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
I'm sorry I can't generate any sympathy for someone who runs red lights. I was t-boned a few years ago in Arizona by someone running a red light. I had a concussion from my head slamming the side window and a 4-day hospital stay. The driver hired one of those "Strong Arm" lawyers who began contacting me and my family before I was even discharged. Luckily, the red light camera caught it all on tape, my insurance company had the photograph, and the telephone calls stopped.

The camera did not catch you going through a yellow light...it was red. If you didn't run a red light, you won't get a ticket. For the few (and I mean miniscule number) mistakes red light cameras make, the majority of people who are photographed are responsible.

You'll get a ticket in the mail if you did the deed. If the person behind you ran the light, then perhaps the camera was taking a photo of them.

BTW, Colorado and Arizona have the same policy. The ticket says, "is this you?" If it's not, you are supposed to fill in the blanks of who it was. My neighbor tried to get away with the "I don't know" defense and was told that unless he had a police report that his car was stolen, the ticket was his responsibility and he could go after the driver on his own, if he chose. He paid the fine but no points were given.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:29 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Here in Denver, many of the stoplights have the timed crosswalks, which (most of the time) give you an idea as to when the stoplight will turn yellow. I like that.

If I know that I'm going near an intersection that has red-light cameras, I avoid it like the plague. I'll take an alternate route just to avoid them, which I guess is my way of boycotting them/voicing my opposition to them.

IMO, red-light cameras are just another way of The Man trying to stick it to us.
David, normally I agree with you, but in this case I just don't get it. You are saying that you are a perpetual red light runner so you take the routes where you are least likely to be caught? Seems odd to me rather than taking the most direct route to your destination and obeying the traffic rules. "The Man" put lights at intersections for a reason. And the lesson that most of our drivers ed teachers relayed to us about "count 5 seconds before going after the light turns green" is a good one since there are WAY too many people who assume the rules don't apply to them.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:06 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
I just got one these damned things in the mail today....$80! I've read there is some kind of spray you can use on your license plate that will cause a bright reflection back to the camera so they can't read it. Has anyone tried it?

Old 10-17-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
David, normally I agree with you, but in this case I just don't get it. You are saying that you are a perpetual red light runner so you take the routes where you are least likely to be caught? Seems odd to me rather than taking the most direct route to your destination and obeying the traffic rules. "The Man" put lights at intersections for a reason. And the lesson that most of our drivers ed teachers relayed to us about "count 5 seconds before going after the light turns green" is a good one since there are WAY too many people who assume the rules don't apply to them.
Thanks! (for normally I agreeing with me )

No, I'm not a perpetual red light runner -- not even close, I'm a very safe driver and have even been compared to a Grandma.

I've never gotten pulled over for (nor do I have a habit of) running red lights, thus I'm not worried about getting caught. But, the camera at 6th/Speer has flashed me before (it's a very difficult turn going eastbound on 6th to turn onto Speer) and although I never got a ticket (they must have seen that I entered the intersection when the light was green) I'd rather not deal with the stress/agony of worrying about whether or not I'm going to get an extra bill in the mail due to some fluke mistake. I've been flashed at Mississippi/Chambers before as well, and didn't get a ticket (the traffic in front of me was moving very slowly on a left turn, again, I entered the intersection when the light was green).

I won't avoid the cameras if I'm simply going straight, I've never made an attempt to avoid the one at Iliff/Blackhawk for example. But the one at 6th/Speer I'll avoid by turning right on Lincoln and left on 5th to get to Speer. I'd rather not take a risk on my money on the rare chance that I'll make a mistake, when I can take a little longer and not take that chance. It's not like I avoid the cameras to go run a red light at another intersection.

When my GF got her ticket at Mississippi/Chambers, she swears up and down that she didn't run the light, even though there were three pictures on the ticket showing she did, and she's an even better driver than me! I don't want one of those swearing up/down situations for myself -- what's wrong with avoiding an internal conflict?

I always obey traffic rules, and have made one costly, easily avoidable mistake (speeding ticket) since I was 16. IMO, red light cameras are just another way for "Big Brother" to keep an eye on us -- I mean, what's next? I think it's a lame way for cities to make money -- I'm all for the cops handing out tickets, IMO that's fair game. Could you imagine how stressful driving would become if every single stoplight had red-light cameras? I would think rear-endings would become way more numerous in that scenario.

I don't condone idiot drivers. But, I also don't condone cities looking for extra revenue streams from their residents/visitors. If the penalty for running red light cameras was non-monetary, I might be more for it. I don't think they put the cameras there for our safety, I think they are there to make $$$.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:01 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Does anyone know the Colorado law related to mailing out "camera" tickets? I've read that in many states the law says that the ticket must be mailed out within 3 weeks of the offense or it is invalid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver