U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 12:25 PM

75 posts, read 138,995 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved into our home in Highlands 2 years ago and have since had several big life changes that all add up to what we never thought we'd do - move to the burbs!

We are looking for a burb with more character - older, more mature trees, less tract housing - but with the perks of a newer burb - good floorplans, safety, good schools, parks.

We've looked at Applewood but it's out of our price range. Are there certain burbs of Denver that are fairly stable, family-friendly and not depreciating in value?

My husband works in Lowry and I am a teacher in Westminster, if that helps. Thanks in advance, by the way!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-16-2009 at 12:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:57 PM

345 posts, read 923,776 times
Old Littleton might be an option but both of your commutes would be quite bad.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:37 PM

Hm, yeah bad commute = unhappy campers.

I do love that area, however.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:47 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,788,130 times
I really like Olde Town Arvada. Cute, walkable downtown. Lots of mature trees, older homes. It has a nice public library plus the Apex Recreation Center. The schools have a good reputation. Light Rail will be there in the future....

Old 10-16-2009, 02:54 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,555,821 times
I know this isn't far from Highlands at all, but I kind of like Wheat Ridge. It's still close to everything but the lots are larger (or at least they seem that way) and there are more mature trees than the newer suburbs. You can also find some newer architecture and even a few scrapes.

I looked at a (scrape) duplex over there a few weeks ago. It's still a little too pricey for me, but I liked it!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 PM

697 posts, read 1,920,718 times
Well we lack the mature trees but otherwise would have what you are looking for BUT not a great commute to Lowry. My neighborhood, Bradburn Village in Westminster is a walkable new urbanist community with excellent access to the open spaces, parks, restaurants, bars, shops etc.. as well as great public schools.

Many (many, seriously I can think of at least 20 or so couples) of my neighbors have moved here from the Highlands because they wanted a similar character to the neighborhood but newer homes and were concerned about public schools. Homes here are neotraditional in style (Farmhouse/Craftsman/Victorian) so it's less "tracty" than a traditional subdivision (as well as less beige).

Not sure about your price range though. For single family Bradburn is low 300s to over 900.

Did you look at Stapleton? Not the best commute to Westminster but is very close to Lowry--also lacks the mature trees though.

I would suggest around downtown Littleton but the commute for both of you would be a bit rough, especially to Westminster (takes me 40 minutes with no traffic). Love around Olde Town Arvada but again commute to Lowry not so hot.

Does it have to be the 'burbs? I only ask because the commute to Lowry is a concern from almost any burb really, city neighborhoods are much closer.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Yes, probably the 'burbs, since we want to make sure we're in a good school district - ideally Jeffco. If not the burbs, then definitely somewhere stable and affordable w/ good schools.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 PM

Just checked out Bradburn - probably too pricey for us, but nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver