Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 AM

15 posts, read 67,103 times

Advertisements

Last year while on vacation I climbed my first 14er... fell in love with the entire southern half of Colorado. My wife and I had a chance to visit different spots from the little town to Creed to the Durango area and everywhere we went we just enjoyed the state.

We have lived in Texas for (ever) and always planned on moving to someplace with more nature/outdoors, seasons, etc at some point. Our target was somewhere in nothern AZ simply because we liked it there.

When we got a chance to visit Colorado we changed out minds.

Anyhow we decided that if we got a chance we would move to Colorado and hoped to visit more areas this year like Denver and Colorado Springs for the obvious reasons or jobs mainly thinking that Denver would be a good somewhat central location to be in offering lots of weekend and 3 day weekend opportunities to visit more of the state once we got there.

I set out to looking at how we could make a cross country move from Texas. This decision had/has nothing to do with the economy or jobs other than I will need a job but it's about us wanting to move to a place where we can be happier, healthier, more active outdoors, access to the mountains, national parks, etc..etc..

So I wound up doing a lot of reading and searching in this forum (great resource). and today I read something in another thread that I've seen mentioned a few times in other ways....

Quote:
Denver demonstrates a lower than average unemployment rate but let me be clear -- we do not have jobs any more than any other major city does and this city discriminates - if you don't live here don't expect a job, if you have just barely lived here don't expect a job and if you do live here you might get a job but the rates are lower because lots of people want to live here.

If you are from FL, WA, TX, MI or NY -- think long and hard as you all seem to be flocking to our state and city -- enough of you are already here. CO has never been the land of plenty in terms of jobs; it never will be.
How worried should I be that when we get there I'm going to be a guy from TX and therefore unwanted for jobs and/or just be looked at as somebody coming to take up or take away space resources form those of you lucky enough to be there already?

I would almost never even ask this type of question but I have noticed that most of the people I have contacted about future employment are not interested in talking to me. I figured it was just because I am out of state and they must get tons of "window shoppers" and figured when I get there, get a drivers license, take up residence, and show up in person things would be different.

But I'm kind of worried now and the line that has me going is;

'this city discriminates - if you don't live here don't expect a job, if you have just barely lived here don't expect a job'

I lived in Texas when a lot of people came from the north and a common theme was the people complaining about the heat. Universally they would be told to go home. I remember reading so many bumper stickers that said "Yankee go home". It was odd to see people choose to come to Texas and complain about one of it's main features. So after seeing that I'm pretty sure if it's back to back blizzards I would never complain and tell people how much I prefer the weather back in Texas. But still I'm worried now that just showing up might put me in the light of a bumper sticker that says "Texas go home".

We are planning to move there next month..... how bad is the transplant thing going to effect us. What is it really like, cuz we want to make this work.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Gee I don't know. I'm from WV and 2 years ago I had two job offers in CO, one in Colorado Springs and the other in Canon City. I turned them down due to a better offer here, but the folks were really, really nice, warm and welcoming.

Maybe 'cuz I'm not from one of those other states listed, lol.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Maybe 'cuz I'm not from one of those other states listed, lol.
After all the years down here I don't think I can pull off a WV accent.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H F View Post
How worried should I be that when we get there I'm going to be a guy from TX and therefore unwanted for jobs and/or just be looked at as somebody coming to take up or take away space resources form those of you lucky enough to be there already?
Don't be worried. There is no general attitude against people moving in from out of state.

Quote:

I would almost never even ask this type of question but I have noticed that most of the people I have contacted about future employment are not interested in talking to me. I figured it was just because I am out of state and they must get tons of "window shoppers" and figured when I get there, get a drivers license, take up residence, and show up in person things would be different.
This is correct. If you're looking for a job in Denver, they're not going to pay much attention to you if you're from out of town or out-of-state. That's because there's already plenty of local talent to choose from, so there's no need to find candidates elsewhere.

Quote:
We are planning to move there next month..... how bad is the transplant thing going to effect us. What is it really like, cuz we want to make this work.
don't worry at all. Making it work for you will be easy. Settling in, meeting people, etc is easy.

The hardest part will be finding a job. Hard not because you're from out-of-state, but because of this economy. But if you're already committed to moving, just go ahead and make the move and enjoy it. You'll get a job eventually.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
I'm from Colorado and then moved to Dallas, I don't blame you for wanting to leave the state. yes you are right, all texans say Git out if you don't like the weather. They are also in denial how uninhabitable their state really is.

There is a Texan on CD that claims they are more native than me because they have been vacationing here all their lives and they are 20 years older.. ergo more of a colorado native then me. lol

It is funny though, as much as they claim they live in Gods Country, why are so many of them always vacationing and trying to move to Colorado?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H F View Post
After all the years down here I don't think I can pull off a WV accent.
It's easy. Just re-laaax and be yer-self!

Actually the one employer I interviewed with was surprised that I didn't have a southern 'twang.. I've lived for the most part in the Shenandoah Valley, which is completely different than other regions of WV/VA.

In any event- that gentleman in Colorado Springs was very nice. We had a 4 hour face-to-face interview including lunch and we generally enjoyed talking to each other. He was not happy about my final decision, but understood it was best for my family at the time.

There was no out-of-state barrier at all, at least in my case.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 AM

196 posts, read 564,218 times
Well, Threerun, it was 2 years ago. Now I live in Colo Spgs and trying to get a job in Denver, so I can move there, but I am having a hard time, like others said there is plenty of talanted people in Denver and employers are not really interested in out-of-town/state candidates.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 AM

177 posts, read 422,159 times
I moved here Sept 30 from Missouri. I had three job interviews lined up for my first two days. All three prospective employers knew that I was newly relocated to Denver. All were eager to talk to me. I got a job offer from one quickly and am starting in a few days.

In my experience people here are extremely nice and welcoming in every context, including business. I sensed NO attitude because I was a transplant.

Live your dream John HF.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 AM

The job market is tough all over. I doubt in my line of work I could quickly find another job anywhere right now, not just CO.

My bro-in-law lives in Longmont and works in Boulder, his field is locked up pretty tight too.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks 80skeys, exactly what I wanted to hear.

We are heading to Denver next month one way or the other so in time it's all going to play out. I've just been a little nervous about this one aspect of the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver