Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:22 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
My family lives in Southeast Texas, so moving to CO / NM is my way of moving closer to be able to attend weddings, funerals, be closer in case of emergency, etc. I am single, and have no ties here where I am, so it will be just me moving.
Ahhhhhh, I see now. Sorry, I assumed that they were in Colorado. Well, if you do not mind long road trips, you can be there in a day (depending on where they are at). It is about 12 hours from Dallas to Denver.

Quote:
Boulder looks / seems beautiful, but I've looked at the cost of housing there, and until I pay off student loans, I don't think that would be my best route.
Completely agree with you here. It is nice, good places to hike/walk/take photos of many scenic places but ... given the cost of living it is cheaper to go there when needed instead of living there. Now, once you move and end up with a job there, than that is a whole different story.

Quote:
I have no family or friends in CO, so I'll need to pay for a place to stay as well, but have a bit of savings (and am continuing to save) to be able to settle in somewhere, given that I'd have a job, or would have one starting within 3 months. I'm looking to start sending resumes now, as I understand many companies have a long hiring process. I moved to VT from TX without a job, and that was stressful enough without student loans; I'm not looking to do that again.
I know, that is why it is best to have one before the move. If you do move without he job that is why I say save as much as you can, again I know it is hard given student loans etc., as job search takes a while especially in this economy.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post

80skeys: If I were to put Denver on my resume rather than an address, would that seem a bit odd? Have others done this before with good results?

On my resume, I have listed that I'll be graduating in May from a school in Vermont, so this already indicates that I am out of state. Would putting a CO address raise red flags?

Thank you all for your help!
It's gonna vary from one recruiter to the next - some will make note, others won't. Hiring managers want to know two things regarding out-of-state candidates: (1) the candidate has got the move taken care of, it will be smooth and there won't be any problems; (2) the candidate has a good reason for moving. You'll have to make an extra effort to convince them of these. You'll have to tell them why you want to move to Colorado and they'll want to know if you're already familiar with the area. You'll have to convince them that you will have to be able to make your start date without a problem and that once you start work, you won't have to keep going back and forth to your old state. If you don't convince them of these things, they're going to give preference to a suitable local candidate.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
I just got this email from a recruiter.

Takers??

The following are the “hot requirements” for the week. All jobs are in the Denver metro area except where noted.

·VB Integration Analyst
·Workflow Automation Developer (2) in NJ
·Java Developer
·Remedy Developer
·ETL Developer
·Aprimo Multi Channel Management Consultant
·JD Edwards
·PM - Security
·PM - Facility
·Project Director
·VB Programmer Analyst
·Integration Analyst

Old 12-08-2009, 04:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
It's gonna vary from one recruiter to the next - some will make note, others won't. Hiring managers want to know two things regarding out-of-state candidates: (1) the candidate has got the move taken care of, it will be smooth and there won't be any problems; (2) the candidate has a good reason for moving. You'll have to make an extra effort to convince them of these. You'll have to tell them why you want to move to Colorado and they'll want to know if you're already familiar with the area. You'll have to convince them that you will have to be able to make your start date without a problem and that once you start work, you won't have to keep going back and forth to your old state. If you don't convince them of these things, they're going to give preference to a suitable local candidate.
I would add, the reason for moving to Colorado shouldn't be "I like to ski", or "I like mountain biking", etc. "I really want to work for your company" is a good one. I have been on hiring committees and seen resumes with the first two tossed in the circular file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver