Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 9,751 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to CO somewhere along the front range. We are looking for an area where there are nice trails to ride on but is within a 40 minute drive to an ice rink with figure skating.

We have toured from Walsenburg through Fort Collins and have narrowed down our search to a few areas. One area that seems to have a lot of horses is Elizabeth, Parker, Elbert and Franktown. We're also considering Bailey and Pine.

We are finding it is hard to get a handle on what trails there are in these areas? In most of the places we have lived in the past many trails exist but are unmarked so you wouldn't know they are there until you live or ride there. Are there many trails in the Parker, Elizabeth area? How about Bailey and PIne? We don't want to haul to the trails-we'd like to be able to ride out our driveway down a dirt road...either to the trails or simply stay on quite scenic dirt roads that don't have fast traffic. Are there any area like this?

I'd be very thankful for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 02:05 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
What you're seeking is "open space" or county park areas that allow riding.

Of the areas you've got under consideration at this time, ask your real estate agent to show you properties that meet your description of close-by equine access.

I've ridden from a lot of such properties in Evergreen, Boulder, Longmont, and Fort Collins. Much of the trail riding in Boulder's Open Spaces, for example, are not necessarily designated "trails" ... it's simply open park space available for your enjoyment. Pick where you want to go ... on established paths, open spaces, through the trees, etc. ... and enjoy.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:56 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
To be honest, there really aren't trails outside the Open Spaces.

If you want to riding, you really need to be adjacent or close to National Forest or BLM land.
Or be prepared to trailer. Bailey and Pine will be much better. Douglas County has some nice Open Spaces, but it is limited. Elbert doesn't have much.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 9,751 times
Thanks for the great responses.

We have been focusing our search on properties adjacent to or close to BLM or National Forest...but I got to wondering if the trails are accessible from many spots or just from trailheads? IF it's just trailheads, bordering national forest land may not actually help much.

I'm not really an all day kind of trail rider..just an hour or so is good...are the open spaces in Douglas sufficient for that? I tried to search Elbert Open spaces and didn't come up with much at all (and of course I found what looks like a gorgeous property there...). I also have my eye on a property in Elizabeth -but I don't think I'll find much open space there either...

Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
I think the Open Spaces of Douglas County would be great for short rides. Elizabeth is very nice and horsey, I'm sure you would enjoy it there. Please note: the Castlewood Canyon State Park is not very horse friendly.

In NF and BLM there are many informal trails which are not anchored to trailheads, so I think you will be ok there.

http://www.douglas.co.us/openspace/M...roperties.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver