Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 06:51 AM

410 posts, read 1,293,752 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to plan an anniversary weekend in Mid Dec for my husband and I and we thought going snowmobiling would be fun.. so I checked Breckenridge and Vail and prices for hotels are outrageous! And vacation rentals want 5 night minimums and cleaning charges. We have to book a tour with someone for the snowmobiling since we don't have our own, so I'm open to anywhere that has tours and has hotels nearby.. we'd like a decent place since it's a special occasion, but doesn't have to be super fancy.. we're new to the area, so I'm not familiar with all the different areas..

Thanks in advance!!

Angela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,363,742 times
I took a friend from out of town up to Breckenridge for a snowmobiling session last year on New Year's Eve. The snowmobiling itself was a lot of fun (although I don't think I have the desire to ever own one of my own) but we just made it a day trip from Denver. It's totally do-able.

I know you're looking for a fun anniversary weekend, and a day trip isn't a ideal, but just figured I would throw that out there! One other thought is maybe to look for a vacation rental in another town that isn't as popular and drive to Breck (or Vail or wherever) for the snowmobiling.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:40 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Angela, check with the Winding River Resort in Grand Lake. They do horses in summer and snowmobiles in winter. They have some cabins on-site and there is at least one decent motel in Grand Lake, stayed there, but forget the name.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:19 AM

229 posts, read 750,994 times
Any chance you can do West Yellowstone instead? December is kind of early though. They let you take the snowmobiles on your own, keep them overnight, and the rental and hotel rates are more affordable. Plus they let the roads freeze over and have some of the best snowmobiling in the country. You can find lots of package deals up there and it seems to be a better bargain. Its far and the drive takes a long time, but its really pretty up there and you can take a side non-snowmobile trip into Yellowstone.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
The big place in my area is the Grand Mesa. Plus a very beautiful high mountain setting. Major snowmobiling! It seems like most of the people in GJ own snowmobiles and go up there in the winter. Also probably much easier and cheaper for you to get lodging, rentals, etc. Do a google for Grand Mesa snowmobiles or Grand Junction snowmobiles and go from there.

Planes back and forth every day Denver to Grand Junction. It's an easy and hassle free way of getting between the two places. The GJ terminal is so small you can literally show up, like, a half hour before your flight and check in and get boarded. It's a very scenic plane ride too, you go over the mountains and can look down on lakes, forest roads, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver