Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:10 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,528,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post
i have never smelled moth balls. How do you get your nose between their little legs?
rofl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Here's my list of smells for the I-25/I-270/I-76/I-70 triangle:

I-270 between Vasquez and I-76: Oil refinery. In addition, for some reason on Friday nights the South Platte smells particularly like sewage.

I-70 between I-25 and Colorado: Dog Food.

I-25 between 58th and I-76: Wonder Bread (only at certain times of day).

I-70 between Colorado and Quebec, usually @ 0330am, Safeway bread factory.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:09 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
Quote:
In addition, for some reason on Friday nights the South Platte smells particularly like sewage.
The sewage treatment facility is right there. You can just barely see where the water is reintroduced into the Platte from the highway:

denver co - Google Maps

Depending on where the wind is coming from that place either smells foul or downright horrible.

Don't forget the power plant there, and at the intersection of 270 and 25 there is a coffee roaster that is sometimes running.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,827 times
Default Air Quality in Denver

It is likely one of the following in order of severity:
1)refinery
2)Purina factory
3)Darling International's RENDERING facility - Don't know what that one is? I highly recommend looking it up.

Yes, all of these polluters are in your neighborhood. These poor air quality conditions, especially in a climate such as we have here in Denver, is unhealthy to Denver's residents as well as those who operate and do business in the area.

If the City of Denver knows what is good for it, it will eliminate the poor air quality and associated repulsive odors which can cause headaches and dizziness with prolonged exposure. It is a detriment to both the city and its future growth.

For this situation and others like it, you should do your part to report the incidents by calling the City and County of Denver Environmental Health Department - Air Quality at:

Thanks.

Last edited by legalpro; 11-04-2013 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-04-2013, 04:50 PM

459 posts, read 807,709 times
The industrial belt north of Downtown Denver along I 70 and I25 includes unincorporated Adams County, Aurora, Commerce City, and Denver. Purina is the only one actually in Denver of the ones you listed, and only the refinery has any violations on record -that I could find- with the EPA.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:49 AM

37 posts, read 124,827 times
What you most likely smell is a plant that produces roof coatings located just south of the 1-25/58th st. exit, west side of the highway. I worked over 25 years in the retail building supply business and we sold these products. There is no mistaking the petro-chemical smell of some of these products. Most obnoxious was the smell of the coatings used for mobile homes.
Believe me, I traveled that route up 1-25 for over 7 years daily and I could always tell when they were producing certain coatings and always wondered if there was a health risk.

**Update**

Found out it is the Owens Corning Trumbull Asphalt company located at 5201 Bannock.

Smelly stuff!

Last edited by Jimer1; 01-05-2014 at 02:02 AM..

Old 01-05-2014, 02:06 AM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
There we go. Almost 4 years later, we get the correct answer. I knew it was coming from near 58th and I25 on the west side and thought they were welding some kind of material or something. But Rainbow Bread or some such place as was mentioned was nearby too.

I remember driving by Jolly Ranchers on near 64th and Ward. That was a nice smell.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:21 AM

37 posts, read 124,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
There we go. Almost 4 years later, we get the correct answer. I knew it was coming from near 58th and I25 on the west side and thought they were welding some kind of material or something. But Rainbow Bread or some such place as was mentioned was nearby too.

I remember driving by Jolly Ranchers on near 64th and Ward. That was a nice smell.
My brain is a repository of useless information. I have little use of it for practical things.

-or so the voices tell me!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimer1 View Post
What you most likely smell is a plant that produces roof coatings located just south of the 1-25/58th st. exit, west side of the highway. I worked over 25 years in the retail building supply business and we sold these products. There is no mistaking the petro-chemical smell of some of these products. Most obnoxious was the smell of the coatings used for mobile homes.
Believe me, I traveled that route up 1-25 for over 7 years daily and I could always tell when they were producing certain coatings and always wondered if there was a health risk.

**Update**

Found out it is the Owens Corning Trumbull Asphalt company located at 5201 Bannock.

Smelly stuff!
I still recall the acrid smell of the GAF-Rubberoid plant in east Baltimore where they may asphalt roofing shingles; the smell was similar to the hot tar kettles some roofers use, only more pronounced.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,412 times
Why do I smell mint..perhaps peppermint while driving down I-76 in between the Sheridan and Federal exits. I only smell it late at night when driving home from work..it's usually around 11:30pm. I never smell it on my way to work during the day, only at night. Anyone have any idea what it could be coming from? I thought I was imagining it but Ive smelled it many many times now so I dont think I can be imagining it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver