Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:33 AM

300 posts, read 1,258,514 times

Advertisements

I am looking for the stereotypes (always a bit of truth!), the general mass opinion and what people who don't know me would think of me if they found out I moved into one of the following CO cities.

I could easily do this with any city here in OC, so it must work the other way around, too. Trying to get an honest grasp on this is really hard when you have never lived in the area. Out of state research only goes so far!

Describe residents of the following:

Castle Rock

Castle Pines

Highlands Ranch

Lone Tree

Parker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 06:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
I find that stereotypes are not a great way to make decisions about people or places. Visit places you think you might want to live and are convenient to the places you anticipate going to (work, school, recreation etc). Do some research on other things you believe to be important (home prices, resale value perhaps, services available, taxes, community involvement etc). Every community you have mentioned has a variety of people living there. Once you live a certain place you can find any kind of people you look for.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:01 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,361,187 times
I'm not a rabid suburb-hater myself, but Highlands Ranch gets dumped on a lot because it's (supposedly) full of upper middle class to wealthy soccer moms, SUVs (oh, the horror!) and houses that all look the same. I don't hold the same opinion, but a lot of people I know seem to think this.

In fact, isn't Highlands Ranch modeled after somewhere in Orange County? Mission Viejo maybe?

Old 11-13-2009, 08:45 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,838 times
Quote:
Describe residents of the following:

Castle Rock

Castle Pines

Highlands Ranch

Lone Tree

Parker
Suburbans.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:07 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Wow, OP, you got me thinking. I live in Centennial. What do people think of me? Oh, the horrors of it all!

You are talking about really, really big areas with hundreds of thousands of people. How can there be "one thing" that they all are? Highlands Ranch itself has over 100,000 population living in apartments, townhomes, small single family homes, large single family homes, and mansions. Could all of these people actually have ONE single thing in common?

Old 11-13-2009, 09:42 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
They're human?

Old 11-13-2009, 09:50 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Ha, ha. I like that answer !

Old 11-13-2009, 09:50 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,838 times
Some could be zombies.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:21 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Alright, I'll try to be helpful. Based on the communities you've selected, I would assume that you are in your early thirties to mid-forties and that if you don't already have kids, you are planning to do so in the near future. I would further assume that you are a professional whose work will take you to the DTC. Your family income puts you firmly into the middle- to upper-middle class, and your household is probably dual-income. Your household's primary earner probably works in finance, information technology, or engineering. You vehicle of choice is a luxury minivan or SUV, and you're looking for a three or four bedroom home with a bit of backyard and space for a home office.

How'd I do?

Other than that, here's a link to a demographic research website. (http://www.claritas.com/claritas/Default.jsp?ci=3&si=4&pn=prizmne_segments#groupS1 - broken link) Scroll down for descriptions of the following:

Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch, and Parker: mostly Middle Burbs, Country Comfort and the Affluentials. You'll find a lot of Kids & Cul-de-Sacs and New Homesteaders.

Castle Pines, not including Castle Pines North: Landed Gentry, with a healthy dose of Big Fish, Small Pond and Country Squires

Castle Pines North: More Affluentials, mostly Fast Track Families and New Empty Nests

Lone Tree: Elite Suburbs, including Winner's Circle and Movers & Shakers.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 11-13-2009 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-13-2009, 01:11 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
For all those locations, aren't they typically transplanted Orange Countians? lol! (for the record, I moved to Denver from OC, so I can poke fun)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver