Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 01:04 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,584,812 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'll make this short. I live in Texas and i've been wanting to move to Colorado for about forever, but in 2006 I was told I may be able to transfer there. Long story, short I thought I'd live in Pueblo, and did tons of research and even went to look, but i may end up in Denver and I've done squat of research on that. Since Denver is surrounded by a loop, I need to know what areas would be good to live at? If i lived in the southeast corner (Lakewood), what suggestions do you have on apartments, as this would be temporary since I may move to Pueblo later on. What about Aurora, Arvada, Wheatridge. Are the mountain views or cost of living that much different whether you live in the east of west side of Denver? Who get's more/less snow. My job actually doesn't require me to be in Denver Metro, so what do you suggest? Is there any places near JC Penney (for my wife) that aren't bad to live in? Looking for 1-2 bedroom 550-750 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 01:20 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,475,495 times
Where is work.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:55 PM

At this point i don't know, but it will be in either the NE, NW, SE, SW area of Denver, so when i find that out in the end of December, then i'll be looking to live in that area near a JC Penney for my wife. So i'm really looking for at least maybe 1-3 good recommendations for those areas, so when i have to move i can concentrate on those suggestions. Because of this quick change in the move from originally Pueblo to Denver, I won't have the opputunity to see before I rent. And since I don't/didn't plan to live in Denver, I just wanted to rent and cheaply to save money for when i can permanently live in perhaps Pueblo. I hear horror stories sometimes in the apartment forum about bad apartments or landlords, etc. So i though i'd ask you if you knew of any good apartments by friends or relatives or such.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:25 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Okay, I'll make this short. I live in Texas and i've been wanting to move to Colorado for about forever, but in 2006 I was told I may be able to transfer there. Long story, short I thought I'd live in Pueblo, and did tons of research and even went to look, but i may end up in Denver and I've done squat of research on that. Since Denver is surrounded by a loop, I need to know what areas would be good to live at? If i lived in the southeast corner (Lakewood), what suggestions do you have on apartments, as this would be temporary since I may move to Pueblo later on. What about Aurora, Arvada, Wheatridge. Are the mountain views or cost of living that much different whether you live in the east of west side of Denver? Who get's more/less snow. My job actually doesn't require me to be in Denver Metro, so what do you suggest? Is there any places near JC Penney (for my wife) that aren't bad to live in? Looking for 1-2 bedroom 550-750 per month.
There are tons of good areas within and around the "loop".

Just so you know, Lakewood is on the west side of the metro, not the SE side.

Lakewood, Aurora, Arvada and Wheat Ridge all have good areas.

On the west side of Denver, you are closer to the mountains, and can see them with higher resolution. On the east side of Denver, you can see more of them.

Usually, the southern half of the metro gets more snow than the north. West to east I don't see a huge difference, though I'd say the west likely gets more.

If your job doesn't require you to be in metro Denver, then why would you move here?

Here's the 5 closest JCPenney's to Denver:

1. Northfield Stapleton. Built on the site of the old Stapleton airport. Surrounding areas include Commerce City to the north (industrial, poor to middle class), Montbello to the east (ghetto suburban), north Aurora to the south (poor, diverse), Stapleton to the south (new urbanist yuppie), and NE Park Hill to SW (poor to middle class, diverse).

2. Westminster Mall. Solid middle class area.

3. Aurora Mall. Diverse, middle class, fairly good area value-wise, so long as you don't have reservations about living near different kinds of people. Not for everybody. (I have lived near here before).

4. Southwest Plaza. Middle to upper-middle class. Suburban.

5. Orchards at Westminster. Way up north. Suburban sprawl. Long commute into town.

Considering your rental budget, your overall best bet would probably be #2. In order to get a nice place near #1, it would have to be farther away. #3 would probably be my second choice. You probably wouldn't get anything too extravagant near #4 within your budget. #5 is fine if you don't mind being far from the rest of the metro.

You might reconsider Pueblo after coming to Denver.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:01 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Great analysis, David. Another FYI is that Denver isn't really surrounded by a loop. The NW portion of the beltway has been debated for decades, and may never get built, due to the objections of Boulder and Golden.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:02 PM

Thanks David for the info! You were right, I knew Lakewood was on the SW part, my bad for not catching that. A typo. The reason I'm moving to Denver is because i want to leave Texas. Tired of the heat and inactivity among other things. I don't mind living next to anyone as long as they're nice and easy to get along with. I was supposed to move to Pueblo, and that's still what i prefer, but I may have to wait longer and this is my chance to be in Colorado now than later. I was afraid Denver was too big a city for me. I will come from McAllen, TX pop(120,000) (300,000 metro) so I think that Pueblo was the right size. Since Denver is about an 80% certainty AND supposed to be temporary, I would need to rent and low to save money. But if I can adapt to Denver and find it's not so bad, I may choose to stay and then buy, but we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver