Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 PM

44 posts, read 124,462 times

Advertisements

I'm scoping out a possible relocation back to Colorado after leaving 2 yrs ago. I used to reside in Louisville and my first question is how do Lakewood and Littleton compare to Louisville?

What I liked about Louisville was the walkable downtown, summer concerts, parks, rec. center and the network of bike trails. It seemed to be a vibrant and active community. Do Lakewood and Littleton get similar ratings? How do they fare?

I guess what I disliked about Louisville is that it was too far from Denver and a horrific commute to the DTC (and points nearby).

I'd like to hear about Lakewood and Littleton and any other suggestions. I'd be open to hearing about other towns and even denver city limits too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 06:55 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Since I just moved here, I can't help with a comparison.... but I'm flipping GLAD to be done with Lakewood (285 and Wadsworth). It was sterile, the people snotty/unfriendly, and FAR too little character. It was 100% car dependent too. Much happier within Denver city limits where I haven't driven for the past week because I haven't needed to drive. It's actually walkable here and I'm right off a bike trail that ties into the whole network.

For a single, I can't imagine Wanting to live in that area of Lakewood.... maybe other areas are better. The drive towards DTC on 285 in the morning was TERRIBLE. 5 minutes per mile traveled (I was commuting from an apartment to my new house), and that was on the non-stoplight section with 55mph speed limits.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Downtown Littleton might be a good fit. It has a walkable downtown, nice parks. It also has a light rail station for easy access to Denver.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:13 AM

345 posts, read 973,968 times
Lakewood isn't a short commute to the DTC. There are plenty of young professionals living in the DTC itself. Outside of there most of my friends (I'm 26) live in the Denver city limits with the biggest concentrations being Wash Park/DU and City Park.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:53 AM

The reason I mentioned Lakewood was because of its adjency to Denver, lies bit west closer to the mountains, and seems to get good reviews b/c of that Belmar section. Is Belmar a bit hyped?

Now Littleton seems situated in a place commutable by car (and in some cases Light Rail) to various places of interest. And someone mentioned it has a nice walkable downtown. Anymore details on this?

Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Belmar is all hype. It's just an outdoor mall with some really expensive housing tied into the area. They tried too hard to make it "cool" (IMHO)

Only took one visit to know I wouldn't go back again (lol, except my financial planner has her office there ~ we usually meet at my place though).

Old 11-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Perhaps I'm trying to get a "best of both worlds" feel on which location is superior (say relative to Denver). By this I mean you can live outside of denver city limits and yet have a great hometown (with recreation, walk-ability, outdoors, and social vibe).And yet if you really need to get into Denver its right there. So it seems Littleton edges Lakewood perhaps, any other choices (e.g. Englewood, other) just as good or better?

As for Denver city limits, what the most popular area (other than Lodo or Highlands) for singles? Is it the area below Colfax, west of Colorado Blvd, above Yale, and east of Downing to be approximate (as to encompass the various parks and DU)? Is that the "sweet spot" for Denver?

Last edited by Rockhopper11; 11-24-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM

345 posts, read 973,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper11 View Post
As for Denver city limits, what the most popular area (other than Lodo or Highlands) for singles? Is it the area below Colfax, west of Colorado Blvd, above Yale, and east of Downing to be approximate (as to encompass the various parks and DU)? Is that the "sweet spot" for Denver?
Thats pretty close. I would say Evans rather than Yale though, and Broadway instead of Downing.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Belmar is all hype. It's just an outdoor mall with some really expensive housing tied into the area. They tried too hard to make it "cool" (IMHO)

Only took one visit to know I wouldn't go back again (lol, except my financial planner has her office there ~ we usually meet at my place though).
The hype must be working. Belmar is all parked up on weekends and pretty crowded other times as well. I live here and I like it. After living in the 'burbs for the last 25 years, it's a nice change to be able to walk places (stores, restaurants, movies, supermarkets, library, etc.)

Old 11-24-2009, 07:27 PM

Hence the "IMHO" ~ In My Humble Opinion.

And yea, compared to the Rest of Lakewood, it's a good place. It just feels too fake, people trying to hard to be "cool" or "hip" and spending through the nose to get it. Thankfully I didn't have to choose someplace like that to be able to walk places like you mentioned. My wife and I haven't driven in almost 2 weeks now, have a nice house to ourselves with no shared walls a yard, hot tub, basement home theater and 3-car garage while still living in Denver city/county (for less than the cost of a 1bed/1bath in Belmar).

It's Good that you're happy with Belmar Barry, because it takes all kinds of people to make this world what it is. The benefit is that you don't have to live next to someone like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver