Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:50 PM

360 posts, read 1,126,789 times

Advertisements

I'm with you, I need (thrive) on the city feel. I lived far too long in D.C. and if you like walking, biking, etc., LoHi will be a good fit. What a spectacular view once you get up there past the foot bridge over the freeway. Go to Tejon and 16th St, you will see what I mean. Look at the city then look up, there's all kinds of condos, apts. there overlooking the skyline. Want a pizza or coffee joint, go up to 32nd Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 PM

40 posts, read 79,770 times
I lived in Chicago for a year and Liked it a lot. Yes is a biger city than Denver.
If you are in to the out doors you will enjoy Denver a lot in that area, also people are very Friendly, the majority of days are sunny so it keeps you going and a little more low key than in Chicago. I Think you will Love the move and if you are thinking so much about it.... Just that says it all.
Wellcome

Old 11-30-2009, 05:56 PM

28 posts, read 81,111 times
Awe thanks everyone - I feel so welcome already and I haven't even moved yet. It's great to know that there are so many nice people in my home-to-be I'm basically waiting to finalize some details with a job and once that's all set, I'm heading west! I am so glad to hear such wonderful input about LoHi! I was only there once, and really liked the impression it left on me - weird how that happens. Is there a particular area to avoid? Thank you again all, I'm really excited!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:27 PM

109 posts, read 278,722 times
Chicago is too busy and the weather is crap. and if there is "good weather" it is too hot and humid to do anything. Chicago's downtown is obviosly more awesome than denver's but besides Chricago the rest of Illinois is flat cornfields with absolutely nothing to do.

my preference is Denver

Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 PM

9 posts, read 29,687 times
I miss Chicago so much. I cannot wait to visit it again.
What does Chicago have that Denver doesn't? Well, it has life. I don't want to offend Denver itself, but coming here and walking around is pretty dull. Many will quote the 16th St. Mall and Lower Downtown as the vibrant areas, but they are tiny compared to Chicago's.
Chicago also has a better public transport, in my opinion.
Something that I hear a lot of people talk about is how much they love the mountains. This is true, they look beautiful, but most people only travel to them once or twice a year. If you are thinking that you want to be closer to the mountains, think about how often you will go to them. Because you will be far, far away from anything else.
So, Denver is a nice place. But I cannot imagine moving back here.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:47 AM

112 posts, read 168,269 times
i lived almost all of my life in chicago and surrounding suburbs, moved to denver for a year and a half, and have now been living overseas for the past two years. my wife and i are ready to move back to the states and while i love chicago and have a lot of family and friends there, we're planning on moving to denver and settling down.

why?

weather, cost of living, and the outdoor recreational opportunities are the main reasons. denver is not chicago. you can't compare the 16th st mall and lodo to the loop and most of the rest of the city of chicago. the light rail can't compare, nor can the food in denver, nor can some of the cultural offerings. but these are all things that i can enjoy in a trip back to visit over a long weekend or whatever. i'd rather live someplace where i'm only a short drive away from hiking, skiiing, mountain biking, rock climbing, etc every weekend. i can drive to some amazing national parks. i don't face bitter cold and no sun for weeks at a time, or wilting humidity. life is just a little more laid back.

to me, there are a few neighborhoods in denver that approximate a bit of some of chicago's feel, such as baker, englewood, five points, and the highlands. most of the rest of the city seemed a bit plain to me. when it comes down to a better quality of life, though, denver has the edge. chicago is place i can travel to and enjoy once or twice a year, but i want to live in denver.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:24 AM

299 posts, read 712,222 times
This central theme comes up again and again and mundele said it well: If you like the energy/vibrancy of a busy, active city then Denver cannot compare with that, and Denver can be kind of 'plain'. However, many people would opt for the weather and recreational activities that Denver has to offer rather than that vibrancy.

It depends on what you consider 'quality of life'!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
I think Denver has just enough energy/vibrancy, though I can see how it might be insufficient to those accustomed to Chicago/New York, etc... L.A.'s energy is...well, I find it somewhat disturbing, and Phoenix has no energy, so I found Denver to be a nice middle ground.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 PM

299 posts, read 712,222 times
People love to criticize LA, especially in Denver for some reason.
Phoenix has plenty of energy, more than Denver in my experience.
Denver has a slowness that seems to only be available in the mid-West. I like it, but energetic it's not!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:33 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Live in Chicago, steps to go skiing: Buy $$$/ea plane tickets to DEN or SLC. Rent car. Drive to ski area. Rent skis. Spend $$$ on bare min 2-night hotel stay and overpriced food. Go skiing. Drive back to airport. Fly back home.

Live in Denver, steps to go skiing: Load up skis/boards in car, drive 1-2hrs, have fun, come back home.

Live in Chic.... okay I think you get the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver