Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times

Advertisements

If you want a national chain then probably Wells Fargo. They merged with Wachovia a while ago so there are branches and ATMs all over the country.

Costco and Sam's here, so depending on your proximity to one and what items you prefer out of each club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 PM

39 posts, read 129,937 times
I had Bank of America when we moved here. My landlord wouldn't take a check from them and I couldn't find any ATM's that take deposits. There are no branches. I went with 1st Bank because I got a free ipod shuffle and they were highly recommended. I set up my account online and they called the next day to verify. That same day I made a deposit and got my ipod. There were a bunch of very nice and helpful people at the 1st bank branch. I live in Centennial; there is both a Sam's Club and a Costco fairly close.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I've also had excellent service with 1st Bank....ATMs are plentiful throughout the area...

Old 12-08-2009, 08:36 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
What are the popular banks in Denver? Is there a Bank of America chain?

As for wholesale stores....is there a BJ's? Or is it Costco or Sam's Club?

Thanks.
On a recent trip to Denver I was discouraged to find NO BofA banks. I called the bank and they said, "No physical locations in Colorado." WHAT?! I needed to make a deposit and couldn't. Guess what? No BofA in Utah either! ARGH! Obviously I was on a road trip.

I was kind of upset with them and asked... how can you call yourself Bank of America and not be in Colorado? Isn't Colorado in America? Okay, I was a little irritated.

Thanks for the other posts. When I actually get to Denver to live I'll know where to take my business. But, it will make it harder to transfer money to family members that don't bank with 1st Bank.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:11 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
So glad I stumbled on this post as I'm currently with BofA and in the process of moving to Denver. I have heard other horror stories about landlords and apartment managers in the area that would not accept BofA checks (like, really?) which gives me the impression that it might be time to change banks earlier than later (which I was planning on doing anyway.)

If anyone has more positive stories of dealing with BofA in Denver, please do share!

Also wondering how the more "available" credit unions are in the Denver area? Namely ones not tied to specific industries, but rather more general...(for Colorado residents, or County residents, or others with similar accessibility.)

Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
I worked with a guy that would drive down to Raton, NM every two weeks to deposit his check at the Bank of America there.

That's the closest one.

You'd think it'd be easier to open an account at a new bank....

Old 12-09-2009, 07:06 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
My accounts are with Wachovia. They recently converted to Wells Fargo, and there are plenty of Wells Fargo branches around Denver. Interestingly, my accounts are still considered Wachovia because they were opened up when I lived in the east. Their conversion is based on where the accounts were opened, not where I currently live.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 AM

229 posts, read 750,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
On a recent trip to Denver I was discouraged to find NO BofA banks. I called the bank and they said, "No physical locations in Colorado." WHAT?! I needed to make a deposit and couldn't. Guess what? No BofA in Utah either! ARGH! Obviously I was on a road trip.

I was kind of upset with them and asked... how can you call yourself Bank of America and not be in Colorado? Isn't Colorado in America? Okay, I was a little irritated.

Thanks for the other posts. When I actually get to Denver to live I'll know where to take my business. But, it will make it harder to transfer money to family members that don't bank with 1st Bank.
How can 1st Bank call themselves 1st Bank when they weren't the first bank?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:28 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
ah, 20 years ago there was no branch banking in CO either.

There are BofA ATM's here.

I transfer $ from my Chase acct to the DD's Wells account online - I think it's $3.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I bank with my old credit union from when I lived in Pennsylvania and my landlord accepts my checks.
I'll probably (eventually) switch to something local, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver