Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 04:28 PM

8 posts, read 12,286 times

Advertisements

Here's what I need; I need to find a decent apartment or townhouse (2 bedrooms) for me, my wife, and my 2 year old son. I would like to pay no more than $1000 a month on rent. A quiet neighborhood that has a good school(s). The company I will be working for is on East 73rd Avenue Denver, CO 80229 and I don't mind having a 20-30 min one way commute to work. How is the west end of Denver, ie Morrison, Lakewood, Golden, Arvada?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 04:34 PM

151 posts, read 397,457 times
Short answer to your direct question:

Morrison - good
Golden - good, I would generally prefer it to Morrison.
Lakewood - mixed. Green Mountain area is good, the part that edges Denver, not so good.
Arvada - also mixed. People like the Old Town area, there's some other parts though that aren't all that desirable.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:40 PM

List some of the other suburbs that would be good for my criteria. Are the west side cities within my price range? I said all the west end ones because I want to be close to the mountains.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretcitizen View Post
Here's what I need; I need to find a decent apartment or townhouse (2 bedrooms) for me, my wife, and my 2 year old son. I would like to pay no more than $1000 a month on rent. A quiet neighborhood that has a good school(s). The company I will be working for is on East 73rd Avenue Denver, CO 80229 and I don't mind having a 20-30 min one way commute to work. How is the west end of Denver, ie Morrison, Lakewood, Golden, Arvada?

Thanks guys.
Why should anyone have a 20-30 min commute in Denver while paying $1000 or less on rent? Thornton, Sherrelwood, Fed Heights, Northglenn and Westminster are all in that immediate vicinity and should all have options for that price range.

As far as the mountains go, unless you plan on accessing them daily, you are rarely very far from them in Denver. Frankly, if I weren't biking the hills everyday, I'd rather have the 20-30 min trip to the mountains I hit up a few times a month and have my job that I go to everyday nearby.

Different strokes for different folks, but that kind of commute is exactly why there are traffic problems. Besides, isn't it nice to have a little more time with the family and spend a little less money on the gas?

My ranting aside (nothing personal as you've probably already considered the above anyway), good luck, and also look at Broomfield and Louisville, and remember that prices often rise with the scenery!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:28 PM

Ok you have a valid point on the mountains, and I wasn't aware that most of Denver is that close. Ok then, what is my best choice as far as commute to my job and the best overall neighborhood for that price range. I have to say you guys sure do respond quickly.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
The places zenkonami suggested are near your work. I wouldn't worry about the schools yet, if your child is just two. You are likely to buy something by the time he's ready for kindergarten in 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver