Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times

Advertisements

If the King thinks is Sooper than nuf said. RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Just pointing out the obvious here, but King Soopers is a not a local company. It's just another brand name for Kroger, which operates supermarket chains all over the country. Exact same store as Smiths, Ralphs, Frys, City Market, Dillons, Fred Meyer, and Kroger, depending on what region of the country you're in.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Just pointing out the obvious here, but King Soopers is a not a local company. It's just another brand name for Kroger, which operates supermarket chains all over the country. Exact same store as Smiths, Ralphs, City Market, Dillons, Fred Meyer, and Kroger, depending on what region of the country you're in.
It's not a local company, but it's not a national company either. Like many businesses, it started here and was bought by larger chains, but the fact that it kept its identity through the transactions is one of the reasons why it has such a loyal following. King Soopers are found only on the Front Range, and so people here identify with and love the company. Safeway and Albertsons stores are considered "national" chains by many here and therefore not as in touch with what Coloradans want.

It's brilliant marketing if you ask me.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
It's not a local company, but it's not a national company either. Like many businesses, it started here and was bought by larger chains, but the fact that it kept its identity through the transactions is one of the reasons why it has such a loyal following. King Soopers are found only on the Front Range, and so people here identify with and love the company. Safeway and Albertsons stores are considered "national" chains by many here and therefore not as in touch with what Coloradans want.

It's brilliant marketing if you ask me.
I'm not sure how much identity King Soopers has held on to. I hadn't seen it in it's pre-Kroger days, but they are pretty identical to every Kroger, Fry's, Ralph's and Smith's I've ever been to. They keep the name because it provides the illusion of continuity and localism, but the substance is certainly no different from it's cousins.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:08 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I'm not sure how much identity King Soopers has held on to. I hadn't seen it in it's pre-Kroger days, but they are pretty identical to every Kroger, Fry's, Ralph's and Smith's I've ever been to. They keep the name because it provides the illusion of continuity and localism, but the substance is certainly no different from it's cousins.
You are probably right, but the illusion of continuity and localism is all they need to keep the loyal customers of the Front Range while also serving as a comfortable store for people from other areas who shopped at Krogers, Fry's Ralph's and Smith's.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Going to KS in a few minutes. I agree with a previous post about the one off of wildcat and MacArthur in Highlands Ranch. The parking lot sucks but that is the norm for any parking lot in the metro area.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:41 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
You are probably right, but the illusion of continuity and localism is all they need to keep the loyal customers of the Front Range while also serving as a comfortable store for people from other areas who shopped at Krogers, Fry's Ralph's and Smith's.
I stopped at Loaf N Jug in Eagle today, and was surprised that they asked me for my Sooper Card. I thought I was in City Market country (I was, there is only City Market in Eagle, but does CM use (and call it) the Sooper Card too?).

Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
That is exactly correct. It makes a great deal of sense to continue the attachment of the store to a local area and establish some sort of comfortable familiarity. King Soopers was founded in Arvada on the site of the brand new library in Olde Town. Before Loyd King died, he was at the opening of the King Soopers at 64th and Sheridan which is close to the location of the original store. The strip shopping center is called appropriately the Loyd King Center. I live within walking distance of this store and I do feel a sense of customer loyalty.

Even though King Soopers is owned by Kroger, it still maintains a large distribution center, bakery and a dairy with a headquarters staff in Denver. It used to be just off West Alameda but much has moved to the new commercial development at Stapleton.

Livecontent

Old 12-31-2011, 02:42 PM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I've warmed up to King Soopers. I never liked the one at Monaco and Leetsdale until I moved to the area and started shopping there because the prices are generally better than Safeway, at least for the items that I routinely buy. I do like that they have a lot of Colorado produce and vegetables when its in season.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:26 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I stopped at Loaf N Jug in Eagle today, and was surprised that they asked me for my Sooper Card. I thought I was in City Market country (I was, there is only City Market in Eagle, but does CM use (and call it) the Sooper Card too?).
I know the store David, it's happened to me a time or two myself. Eagle is pretty much the halfway point between Grand Junction and Denver.

I go to Denver monthly and there's been times I've picked up a few things at Kings and used my City Market card. Usually the store I patronize the most is on south Broadway and Littleton Blvd. as my mom lives near there (I worked in that store for a year and a half in the mid 60's.) I shop at the City market in Fruita for the most part and a lot of King Soopers brand food is sold at the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver