Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:30 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
A

As I have said in my many previous posts, these areas are the secret treasures of living known by long term residents and natives. The older western suburbs of Denver will welcome only those who have the heart and soul to see the hidden values--if you lack those inner feelings then these areas will not call to you; they will remain silent, and you will not be chosen to belong. For you do not choose the neighborhood, it chooses you.

Livecontent
Wow that is deep! I don't know of the neighborhoods of which you speak, but we just recently put an offer on a house in a quiet neighborhood in Lakewood and most residents are original owners from 1970, and I feel like it's a gem of a neighborhood... I hope we will be welcomed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yep!

When and if I ever purchase a house here, I will be sure I select a neighborhood where there are no monsters around!
I don't get the "Darth Vader" homes, either. I also don't know how Wash Park will look like OC in ten years?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM

229 posts, read 750,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Darth Vader homes are the mega-sized faux-crafstman and faux-french mansion scrapes with giant garage door "teeth" like a Darth Vader helmet.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:05 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't get the "Darth Vader" homes, either. I also don't know how Wash Park will look like OC in ten years?
3k sf homes on 5000sf lots. It will look like Newport Beach.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Wow....to listen to some posters on this forum, you'd think that McMansions were limited to the suburbs....How shocking to think it actually happens in Denver too....

Old 04-08-2010, 02:29 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcater View Post
Wow that is deep! I don't know of the neighborhoods of which you speak, but we just recently put an offer on a house in a quiet neighborhood in Lakewood and most residents are original owners from 1970, and I feel like it's a gem of a neighborhood... I hope we will be welcomed...

These older western suburban neighborhoods with the original owners are the type that I was speaking. They have a quiet patina of age where one can live a very relaxed life. I have learned that I thoroughly enjoy the long term and native residents of the area. It appears that westerners are more laid back than easterners. They are not so easy to engage in conversation but slowly open up and are very welcoming.

To be accepted, I have tried hard not to be too aggressive and constantly comparing my New York experience. Now, having lived here for 31 one years--I am a long term resident and I have extensive Colorado experiences. That gives me acceptance and tempers my talk--actually I should say my "tawk", which gives me away as not being a native.

Livecontent

Old 04-08-2010, 07:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I also don't know how Wash Park will look like OC in ten years?
Now that Sassberto has mentioned Newport Beach, I know what he means.

Ugly behemoths (possibly without parking) on teeny-tiny lots selling for $2MM. I can't wait.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:03 PM

56 posts, read 92,468 times
Thank goodness a neighborhood is more than one street. And FYI, Holly Hills may have CC schools but many of those elementary kids go to the DPS school located in U.Hills: Bradley. Just because it's CC doesn't mean it's necessarily better. I live in Virginia Village and love it.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:08 PM

14 posts, read 46,497 times
Hello everyone!

I have enjoyed and appreciated reading your posts. All of this info and the visit feedback was very helpful for me too- we are considering a move to Colorado as my husband's job may take us there. Would you all mind helping me too?

A little about us so you have context- we currently live in the Sacramento area with two children who attend private Waldorf school. We love getting out to explore nature as much as possible- last summer I drove the kids to the beach once a week, and did as much locally as possible (though finding "nature" here is difficult- it is either a nature preserve which the kids are not free to explore, or very manicured). We long for hikes and nature walks where if the kids see a stream or a log they can poke around. One of our children has intrinsic asthma (air quality and illness are the major triggers).

About the possible re-location: my husband may have a job in the Lakewood area and we would like to live near one of the two Waldorf schools (either Shining Mountain or Denver Waldorf). We will be out to tour both in May and the areas, but the trip is short so any help you can give us is appreciated.

Questions:
1. I know each asthma case is different, but is it obvious to any of you if it is easier to live in Denver or Boulder with it? My concern is altitude and dust in Boulder and smog in Denver... though keep in mind we are coming from Sac where the air quality is pretty bad.
2. Would you recommend living in either place over the other (livecontent I really appreciated your post on here- spoke to my soul).
3. We have been homeowners for years, but to live in Boulder may have to give that up to be renters- is it worth renting to be "in" the foothills, or is it worth having the dream craftsman home in Downtown and driving out to them each weekend?
4. Any neighborhood/area suggestions? We like craftsman architecture, being close to coffee shops, Bikram yoga, natural food store/co-op, and as much nature as possible ( I know I know tall order!)

Thank's in advance!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:06 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
SacMom, here's a key thread on asthma / allergies in COLO that may help. Find more such info by using the Search tool. Short story, most people do better here, some not so. The nation's premier respiratory hospital is in Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver