Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,377 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

My husband and I are moving to Denver (near Lowry) soon and I am hoping to have a teaching job to start out the 2010-11 school year. I know that there are similar posts but I have several different questions.

1. Anyone know how a 4-8 Generalist Texas teaching license (and an English degree) transfers to Colorado? CDE won't tell me anything until they get my application and I can't send it to January but I would like an idea for job searches and job fairs.

2. I am ESL certified in Texas but I am not an ESL teacher. I would be interested in an ESL job and there seem to be quite a few available now which makes me wonder why they aren't filled this far into the year. Is there anything about teaching ESL in Colorado that I should know?

3. I am willing to drive 40-50 minutes one way (with or without traffic) if necessary. Can anyone tell me what are some school districts that might be within the above range of Denver? Its hard to tell on the map how close things are and how they are affected by traffic.

4. I know that at the end of last summer a lot of teachers from Texas transferred to Colorado Springs to be with their army spouses. If you are one of those individuals I would love to chat via email with you about your experiences so far--particularly your job searches!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
I don't know answers to your teaching questions, but regarding school districts within 50 minute drive from Lowry area you would have Denver, Adams County, Cherry Creek, and even some out east (Bennett is one that I am familiar with). Hopefully some other people would have a larger list. We live in the Tech Center and my husband teaches near Mississippi and Havana; his drive is less than 40 minutes.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 PM

305 posts, read 770,441 times
I've tutored ESL (at Emily Griffith Opportunity School, a vocational school downtown) and also substitute taught ESL at numerous DPS schools. It's one of my favorite subjects to teach as the kids are wonderful and truly want to learn. There's nothing weird about teaching ESL in Denver! : )

There are lots of great schools/districts in the area, and ESL teachers are always in high demand, so fortunately you probably won't have to commute too far to find a job you like. Lots of luck!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 PM

305 posts, read 770,441 times
I used to live in the Lowry/Stapleton area (Park Hill), so if you have any more questions about the area I'd be happy to try to help! : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver