U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2010, 08:08 AM
 
15 posts, read 53,959 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Hello,
We are interested in trying to strictly buy local food. I have seen some restaurants that advertise local produce and there are plenty of farmers markets in summer, but does anyone have any input as to places to buy locally from late fall to early spring. I see that the mile high flea market has a year round farmers market as does ft. collins. Any input as to these places/others? Also, watch the documentary "food,inc.", it'll help motivate you to pursue local, real food.
Thanks in advance,
Frank
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,600,394 times
Reputation: 3579
Denver Urban Homesteading has an indoor farmers market which is open year round: HOME

Door to Door Organics - Serving Colorado with Organic Grocery Delivery of Produce & Organic Food

Check the directory for CSA's (Community supported Agriculture)Colorado Local Sustainability — Supporting local, sustainable food & farms
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
 
229 posts, read 695,307 times
Reputation: 252
Here is the calendar for hunting season:

Season Dates and Fees - Colorado Division of Wildlife
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 14,168,375 times
Reputation: 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankurias View Post
Hello,
We are interested in trying to strictly buy local food. I have seen some restaurants that advertise local produce and there are plenty of farmers markets in summer, but does anyone have any input as to places to buy locally from late fall to early spring. I see that the mile high flea market has a year round farmers market as does ft. collins. Any input as to these places/others? Also, watch the documentary "food,inc.", it'll help motivate you to pursue local, real food.
Thanks in advance,
Frank
I do not quite understand your point. If you want to eat locally, that is your choice. However, fresh produce, in this area, is only available during the season.

Out of season, to get fresh produce, you cannot have it available locally. You would have to do what generations before did, that is consume preserved local foods, out of season. Some of that would be dried, canned, salted and certain products can be preserved in cold storage or at home in a food cellar. I grew up on Rutabagas, Turnips etc. but I know it would not fit the diet of most yuppies unless it was lauded on the Food Network--then they can brag about their expensive new organic, natural root vegetables.

Oh, yea, you can come back and say, well, some products can be grown in greenhouses and hydroponically. That type of local farming is not that extensive because it is too costly compared to importing products, except for small quantities of expensive specialty products.

Certainly you would have to prepared to give up many products that are not grown, or cannot be grown locally. We all know those products. That would include most citrus and all tropical fruits; specialty vegetables, many melons. Obviously, you do not eat bananas.

I assume that you do not drink coffee, tea; or consume chocolate. Good idea--that will save you from spending all your money at those overpriced coffee shops. No Starbucks---ahhhhhhhhhhhh--you would have to make your coffee at home--which of course would be home grown roasted chicory (yea, it is root vegetable it can be preserved in a cellar). Not eating seafood is a big savings. It will certainly be easier in grocery store--because absolutely most products you cannot buy because you "strictly buy local food". That would definitely put Whole Foods out of business--oh, what will you do????

It is nice that your philosophy is strictly followed because again you would have to give up most restaurant dining--or does that not count. How can you show off and live up to your pretensions, if you did not eat all those expensive delicacies and drink all those beverages, wines, beer, and spirits.

Of course, your philosophy of eating locally condemns all of human history of trade and commerce. For thousands of years, people consumed products from regions beyond their local area.

I think if your ideas are followed by the crowd then the great renown products of every state could not be exported because every state will only eat their own--even if it is inferior. We are a big country with many extensive agricultural zones and all products vary across the country. That is a real good idea, let us destroy all those bad city, town, region, and farming economies based on interstate and intrastate commerce.n Let us forget about all those locally grown exceptional products from small towns and villages of foreign nations that has maintained their lives for generations.

Interesting concepts--I so glade that you are following your great ideas of local "real" food---thanks for the laugh. I would not want to be a kid in your house--no chocolate, no Easter bunny!!!!! Now, excuse me, I am going to have a cup of Tea--that is black tea.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-13-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 02:05 PM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,600,394 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I do not quite understand your point. If you want to eat locally, that is your choice. However, fresh produce, in this area, is only available during the season.

Out of season, to get fresh produce, you cannot have it available locally. You would have to do what generations before did, that is consume preserved local foods, out of season. Some of that would be dried, canned, salted and certain products can be preserved in cold storage or at home in a food cellar. I grew up on Rutabagas, Turnips etc. but I know it would not fit the diet of most yuppies unless it was lauded on the Food Network--then they can brag about their expensive new organic, natural root vegetables.

Oh, yea, you can come back and say, well, some products can be grown in greenhouses and hydroponically. That type of local farming is not that extensive because it is too costly compared to importing products, except for small quantities of expensive specialty products.

Certainly you would have to prepared to give up many products that are not grown, or cannot be grown locally. We all know those products. That would include most citrus and all tropical fruits; specialty vegetables, many melons. Obviously, you do not eat bananas.

I assume that you do not drink coffee, tea; or consume chocolate. Good idea--that will save you from spending all your money at those overpriced coffee shops. No Starbucks---ahhhhhhhhhhhh--you would have to make your coffee at home--which of course would be home grown roasted chicory (yea, it is root vegetable it can be preserved in a cellar). Not eating seafood is a big savings. It will certainly be easier in grocery store--because absolutely most products you cannot buy because you "strictly buy local food". That would definitely put Whole Foods out of business--oh, what will you do????

It is nice that your philosophy is strictly followed because again you would have to give up most restaurant dining--or does that not count. How can you show off and live up to your pretensions, if you did not eat all those expensive delicacies and drink all those beverages, wines, beer, and spirits.

Of course, your philosophy of eating locally condemns all of human history of trade and commerce. For thousands of years, people consumed products from regions beyond their local area.

I think if your ideas are followed by the crowd then the great renown products of every state could not be exported because every state will only eat their own--even if it is inferior. We are a big country with many extensive agricultural zones and all products vary across the country. That is a real good idea, let us destroy all those bad city, town, region, and farming economies based on interstate and intrastate commerce.

Interesting concepts--I so glade that you are following your great ideas of local "real" food---thanks for the laugh. Now, excuse me, I am going to have a cup of Tea--that is black tea.

Livecontent
Livecontent, while I agree that it would be very difficult to only eat local food, it is very possible to eat more locally produced food. Why do you assume that this is only something yuppies are interested in and why do you assume that people do these types of things to "show off"?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 02:34 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 14,168,375 times
Reputation: 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Livecontent, while I agree that it would be very difficult to only eat local food, it is very possible to eat more locally produced food. Why do you assume that this is only something yuppies are interested in and why do you assume that people do these types of things to "show off"?
Because many of these "ideas" come from the "group think" of self perceived "educated" showing people of society who cannot, or will not think the ideas beyond the "wow" impressions that they get from the media and each other.Then they get on their soap box and spew their pedantic rants and lectures. Yet, they know very little about the subject. So, you eat "more" locally grown---that concept does not impress me in a global national economy that encourages trade and commerce and certainly benefits local growers who can sell out of their area. However, simply, stated, if all products are consumed locally--there would be no trade or trade advantages for the local grower because they would not have additional markets of their superior products. We would be subject to a non-competitive market of local products. Think about that thought when you lounge in your organic, natural cotton pjs which are not grown and produced locally.

Livecontent
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,600,394 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Because many of these "ideas" come from the "group think" of self perceived "educated" showing people of society who cannot, or will not think the ideas beyond the "wow" impressions that they get from the media and each other.Then they get on their soap box and spew their pedantic rants and lectures. Yet, they know very little about the subject. So, you eat "more" locally grown---that concept does not impress me in a global national economy that encourages trade and commerce and certainly benefits local growers who can sell out of their area. However, simply, stated, if all products are consumed locally--there would be no trade or trade advantages for the local grower because they would not have additional markets of their superior products. We would be subject to a non-competitive market of local products. Think about that thought when you lounge in your organic, natural cotton pjs which are not grown and produced locally.

Livecontent
The only rant and lecture I see in this thread is your own. Maybe the OP knows very little about the subject, maybe they know a lot. There is no way of making that judgement call based on the OP's 13 City Data posts.

The global national economy is complex and there are many different factors to consider which could lead people to very different conclusions. I can see both sides. I respect your opinion. I respect the OP's opinion.

P.S. I don't own a pair of PJ's. I sleep in my Goodwill clothes after I've worn them out to the point that I can no longer be seen in public in them. I've been called lots of things but never a yuppie. Thanks for the laugh.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,011 posts, read 26,983,216 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I do not quite understand your point. If you want to eat locally, that is your choice. However, fresh produce, in this area, is only available during the season.

Out of season, to get fresh produce, you cannot have it available locally. You would have to do what generations before did, that is consume preserved local foods, out of season. Some of that would be dried, canned, salted and certain products can be preserved in cold storage or at home in a food cellar. I grew up on Rutabagas, Turnips etc. but I know it would not fit the diet of most yuppies unless it was lauded on the Food Network--then they can brag about their expensive new organic, natural root vegetables.

Oh, yea, you can come back and say, well, some products can be grown in greenhouses and hydroponically. That type of local farming is not that extensive because it is too costly compared to importing products, except for small quantities of expensive specialty products.

Certainly you would have to prepared to give up many products that are not grown, or cannot be grown locally. We all know those products. That would include most citrus and all tropical fruits; specialty vegetables, many melons. Obviously, you do not eat bananas.

I assume that you do not drink coffee, tea; or consume chocolate. Good idea--that will save you from spending all your money at those overpriced coffee shops. No Starbucks---ahhhhhhhhhhhh--you would have to make your coffee at home--which of course would be home grown roasted chicory (yea, it is root vegetable it can be preserved in a cellar). Not eating seafood is a big savings. It will certainly be easier in grocery store--because absolutely most products you cannot buy because you "strictly buy local food". That would definitely put Whole Foods out of business--oh, what will you do????

It is nice that your philosophy is strictly followed because again you would have to give up most restaurant dining--or does that not count. How can you show off and live up to your pretensions, if you did not eat all those expensive delicacies and drink all those beverages, wines, beer, and spirits.

Of course, your philosophy of eating locally condemns all of human history of trade and commerce. For thousands of years, people consumed products from regions beyond their local area.

I think if your ideas are followed by the crowd then the great renown products of every state could not be exported because every state will only eat their own--even if it is inferior. We are a big country with many extensive agricultural zones and all products vary across the country. That is a real good idea, let us destroy all those bad city, town, region, and farming economies based on interstate and intrastate commerce.n Let us forget about all those locally grown exceptional products from small towns and villages of foreign nations that has maintained their lives for generations.

Interesting concepts--I so glade that you are following your great ideas of local "real" food---thanks for the laugh. I would not want to be a kid in your house--no chocolate, no Easter bunny!!!!! Now, excuse me, I am going to have a cup of Tea--that is black tea.

Livecontent
LC, this just rocks. It made me laugh

Nothing with the OP, but I run into these vegan boys and girls once in a while and their talk of organic stuff just makes me look like this ~~~~>

I wish my apartment leasers allow me to raise chicken and hatch eggs for my egg whites

I also want a fat cow I can tie by my porch, I'll milk it every morning!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
90,377 posts, read 109,199,636 times
Reputation: 35920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
LC, this just rocks. It made me laugh

Nothing with the OP, but I run into these vegan boys and girls once in a while and their talk of organic stuff just makes me look like this ~~~~>

I wish my apartment leasers allow me to raise chicken and hatch eggs for my egg whites

I also want a fat cow I can tie by my porch, I'll milk it every morning!!!!
I'm still trying to figure out how to grow coffee beans here.

Seriously, the OP did say "strictly buy local food". That would mean buying no fresh produce in the winter into the early summer. I don't know if there's a lot of canned, dried and frozen local produce to buy around here. I doubt it. It would mean no coffee, tea, others that livecontent noted. It's just not possible here. This isn't the tropics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2010, 08:33 PM
 
15 posts, read 53,959 times
Reputation: 27
Default livecontent

Hi Livecontent,

You have given extremely insightful advice to me via this forum for the few years I've been here in Denver. I value your insight on pretty much every matter that I've read your comments on. Thanks for taking a giant dump on my post. I am surprised that you chose to be such a dork about a simple question. I guess me and all my yuppie, elitist, ultra-rich friends will have to buy our caviar, champagne, and panda meat from other countries.

So perhaps I should rephrase the question. When in season, where are good places to get local food? I'd rather not feed my kid a peach full of pesticides, and I'll pay a little extra for it. I hope your black tea was good.

Thanks,
Frank
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top