U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,096,454 times

Advertisements

I almost hate to ask this question, but I think some general opinions and reassurance will help. I have to get some work done to my Jeep at the 4Wheel Parts store pretty much near I-70 and Peoria. The store doesn't open until 9AM, but I need to go to work (downtown) before 9AM, so I was thinking that I could drop the Jeep off early and do the whole drop box with the keys thing, and then take the 47X to Civic Center station on the day that my appointment is scheduled.

This sounds reasonable to me, but I'm a bit hesitant because the guy I spoke with on the phone said that they do have the early bird drop box, but he didn't recommend leaving the Jeep there toooooo early (he said he probably wouldn't 'want' to leave it there earlier than, say, 8:30), but didn't elaborate.

Am I taking a huge chance by leaving the Jeep unattended for an hour and a half? Is there anyone on here who parks at the Montbello p-n-R or leaves a vehicle in this general area on a regular basis? I know the area has a reputation, but I would prefer to just drop the Jeep off around 7:30AM instead of waiting until 9AM. I would think the Jeep would be OK unattended from 7:30 to 9AM, but I feel a bit uneasy because of the person I spoke with on the phone. The Jeep certainly isn't flashy, but I like it and would prefer to not have to deal with it being stolen.

So.. what would you do? Does anyone here ride the 47X? Is my idea to leave my Jeep in their lot for an hour and a half crazy?

Oh, the 4Wheel Parts store isn't right on Peoria. It's sort of in a maze-like business park near, but not on, Peoria and I-70.

Thanks!

edit: the Denver crime maps don't seem to indicate that anything has happened at the 4Wheel Parts store within the past few months, but there were three burglaries (not motor vehicle theft) reported in June of 2009.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 02-01-2010 at 05:56 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM

13,725 posts, read 26,548,057 times
I've taken naps near 46th/Albrook in the middle of the night (in my Jeep).

The fact that you won't be in yours should provide you at least some comfort.

IMO you and it will be fine. Just act like you know what you are doing and where you are going, and don't look like a lost puppy. Even if you were a lost puppy, the chances of you surviving are great.

Our company stations its delivery van in Montbello, and nothing has happened to it as of yet. Just don't leave valuables in plain sight (this goes for most everywhere).

The talk about Montbello is grossly overblown. Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Thanks, David!

Like I said -- I hated to ask the question, because I do read City-Data and I'm aware that the reputation of this area is a bit overblown, but even when knowing this, I was still left with an uneasy feeling after speaking with the guy at the store.

I just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't crazy by planning to leave my Jeep there that early. I don't feel like the walk from the store to the bus stop is unsafe and I use the bus system every day (except not that particular route), so I should be OK. I was more worried about the Jeep but the more I think about it, I think it will be fine.

I'll report back at the end of the week. Thanks again!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM

13,725 posts, read 26,548,057 times
I just googled the place's address, and that's even more insulated away from things than I thought. If you are able to leave it there (at 4 wheel) it'll be more than fine (not that the park-n-ride wouldn't be).

I think the guy's reason for not wanting you to leave it there too early, is more about them not wanting to be responsible for it, as opposed to them thinking something will happen to it.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:43 PM

15 posts, read 54,460 times
Why not take it in the night before and ask them to lock it up in the service bay for the night?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:09 AM

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just wanted to let everyone know that everything went smoothly and I had no trouble leaving my Jeep parked in Montbello for a few hours and I felt just fine walking from 4Wheel Parts to the Park-n-ride to catch the bus.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:30 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,618,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
The talk about Montbello is grossly overblown. Let us know how it goes.
Agreed. I recently looked at crime stats on different neighborhoods out of curiosity to see how they compared to my neighborhood which some people think of as a "high crime" area. I looked up crime stats and adjusted for population. I was somewhat surprised to find that neighborhoods such as Baker, Five Points, City Park West all have higher crime rates for things such as murder, rape, robbery, assault and burglary then Montbello. Of the neighborhoods that I looked at, Five Points was the worst and has about double the crime rate as Montbello. Of course this only includes crime that is reported to the police but the results were eye opening and challenged some previously held assumptions. This was based off of 2008 stats.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM

23 posts, read 77,421 times
Quote:
Of the neighborhoods that I looked at, Five Points was the worst and has about double the crime rate as Montbello.
Well according to this site you have a much higher chance of being raped or murdered in Montbello than you do in five points:

Denver Five Points Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics

Denver Montbello Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics

Old 02-09-2010, 01:45 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,618,800 times
Stats vary year by year. The stats you posted are for 2007. The stats I posted were 2008. I'm sure we'd find something different in 2009, 2010. The point is the fear over Montbello is a little overblown when inner city neighborhoods that people wouldn't think twice about frequenting are very comparable and in many cases have higher rates of crime then Montbello.

Now if I was looking at purchasing a home and had to choose between 5-Points and Montbello, I'd pick 5-points because it has history, beautiful and amazing architecture and is centrally located and on light rail. Montbello on the other hand is way out in EBF, with boring, low quality tract housing. It has no redeeming qualities. That said, there's no reason to be so fearful about visiting such a place if you're not fearful about visiting inner city Denver neighborhoods such as Baker, City Park West and 5-Points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver