Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 12:52 PM

13 posts, read 56,792 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone,
Decades ago (early seventies, in fact) I had the pleasure of living in Colorado. I had just gotten out of the Army after serving in Vietnam and I met up with some folks I'd met over there to start a band in Colorado Springs.
During my time in that incredibly beautiful state, we did a lot of exploring. And I have a powerful memory of a magnificent vista, but I'm not sure where it is.
What I do remember is a small pyramid-like mountain alongside a country road. You can park there, and there is a concession stand. The mountain was on the north side of the road. From the front of the mountain you can see out to the plains. I kind of remember that this was a solitary, relatively small mountain (perhaps a big hill would be a better term). I know it's a bit west of Denver.
It's been years, and I'd love to return at some point soon. I've been promising my wife for some time that we'd have a Colorado vacation. I want to show her the stars from Wilkerson Pass, take the scenic rods to Creede, show her my old stomping grounds in Manitou Springs - but most of all I'd love to take her to this little mountain alongside the road somewhere west of Denver.
Does anybody have an idea as to where this might be?
Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 12:55 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Lookout Mountain? or possibly Table Mesa in Golden?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Lookout Mountain rings a bell - I remember most of all it was shaped a bit like a pyramid. Do you have a location?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:01 PM

402 posts, read 1,266,267 times
That does sound like Lookout Mountain. I'm not sure if I can think of any other location with a concession stand at the top.

Chroma601: Does Buffalo Bills grave ring a bell?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 PM

No, I just remember the view. I'm Googling Lookout Mountain and haven't found a picture of it yet. But I think you folks are on to something here!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 PM

402 posts, read 1,266,267 times
Google Maps

Maybe some of the pictures there will help.... none of the mountains itself, but pictures from the mountain at least.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:47 PM

I strongly suspect that Lookout Mountain is what I've been remembering. Thanks everyone for the help! Now to get back there - hopefully in Springtime...

Old 12-21-2008, 06:02 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,775 times
I just went out there last weekend, You can see Golden from the top, does that help?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 PM

92 posts, read 365,891 times
[quote=chroma601;6601524]...I have a powerful memory of a magnificent vista, but I'm not sure where it is... I've been promising my wife for some time that we'd have a Colorado vacation. I want to show her the stars from Wilkerson Pass, take the scenic rods to Creede, show her my old stomping grounds in Manitou Springs - but most of all I'd love to take her to this little mountain alongside the road somewhere west of Denver.[quote]

I wish more than anything i could help you out. If Lookout Mountain is not it, I'd suggest you go to White Antelope Ranch (I think that's the name of it), just north of golden. It has a beatiful view of the plains and downtown denver.

Wherever you go in the state, I think you're going to have a great time. It sounds like you love your wife a great deal. You can't possibly have a bad time anywhere when that's the case.

Thanks for the wonderful post!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 AM

Thanks, CapHillboy. I have fond memories of the state I called home in 1972. While I suspect Lookout Mountain is what I was looking for, the only way to know for certain is to go there. I remember a pretty empty road, and as you travel west from the plains you could see the mini-mountain on the right side of the road ahead of you. I don't remember an access road but it was over 35 years ago and I was in a band at the time! I do remember a small concession stand, and that you had to walk a little bit to get to the front where the view was. You had to climb to get on to the top. I don't remember the gravesite.

Our home was in Manitou Springs. One thing I do remember was driving up Gold Camp Road past the Broadmoor. You could park and walk to a precipice hundreds of feet up and see into Kansas on a clear day. All along that road there were amazing places to hike. Colorado is one of the most stunningly beautiful places on the planet. And you haven't lived till you've played Frisbee at 10,000 feet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver