U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:32 PM

14 posts, read 79,471 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I’ve been reading a lot of posts on here to try and find answers, but I’m still confused, so here I am. We’re moving to CO in August from MI, my wife will be working at the Denver Health Sciences Center in Aurora, and I will be working in Colorado Springs, but will be working from home 3-4 days a week, so I’m not too worried about my commute. We’ve started talking to a realtor who is sending me dozens of houses a week to look at, but I’m at a loss to help narrow down my choices without knowing exactly where we should be focusing.

We don’t want more than a 15-20 minute commute for my wife, so I’ve been looking at (and reading about on here!) the Parker area, which seems like one option. We’re a young family with a 2-year old, so want good schools and all that stuff. Oh, and we can probably afford around 250,000 to 275,000 for a house. Some people have told us that there is somewhat of a traffic bottleneck between Parker and Aurora – will that be a problem?

Some folks at my wife’s work recommended Lowry or Stapleton – I know nothing about these areas, except that they seem a little more urban than I was perhaps looking for. On the other hand, we’d prefer not to live in a completely cookie cutter subdivision – so I’ve kind of ruled out Highlands Ranch (maybe incorrectly?). On the other hand (lots of hands here) it seems like we could get a lot of house for that kind of money in Parker, by maybe sacrificing character for size. It’s a difficult thing to balance!

Anyway, we like friendly neighbors, quality grocery stores, little coffee shops, micro-brew bars, safe parks with kids playing with boats on idyllic ponds. . . . that kind of stuff!

Help!

(thanks)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 02:02 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,144,603 times
I'm assuming you mean the CU Health Sciences center which recently moved to the Fitzsimmons Campus in Aurora. Parker, is, quite a distance to Fitzsimmons, and in our traffic, 15-20 minute commute is not feasible. However, on a relative scale, Parker isn't as distant from Fitzsimmons as many other suburban areas would be, as you'd have some options in taking the E-470 toll road if needed (although I'm not sure that would save you much time).

I understand your desire to have a close commute for your wife. Your wife's colleagues were probably suggesting Stapleton and Lowry as a way to get nice neighborhoods within an easy drive or bike ride to Fitzsimmons. However, these are in Denver and you'll have to navigate Denver Public Schools (there's been lots of threads on that issue). Also, most of the area around Fitzsimmons is considered (by some, anyway), as somewhat less than desirable.

If I were you, I'd look at an area with easy access to I-225 or I-25 and in the Cherry Creek School District. The most obvious choice is Aurora, though make sure that your neigborhood is within the CCSD, a line which roughly begins south of Hampden. Finding something just south of Hampden in Aurora, close to I-225, might be your best option to find a suburban location in your price range with well-regarded schools within 15-20 minutes of Fitzsimmons.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:30 PM

Thanks tfox. Yes, it's the Fitzsimmons Campus, and I can see from Mapquesting directions from Parker that it's further than I thought! I'm looking at some houses around the Quincy Reservoir area and south towards Orchard Road - they seem like nice houses, but it also looks like endless identical subdivisions. Is there any sort of town center to speak of in this area -nice shops, bars, restaurants etc? Would a slightly longer commute from the Parker area offer more of a community-type atmosphere?

Thanks again!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:33 PM

11,483 posts, read 31,069,023 times
Southshore, Tallyn's Reach, Saddle Rock - all close to Southlands, a new outdoor mall.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:45 PM

I live in Denver, so I may not be the best resource on the southeast area.

However, it's safe to say that Aurora and its neighbors are pretty much tract suburbia, without a recognizable town center. In fact, this is pretty much true of many of Denver's suburbs, the only exceptions being a few of the oldest suburbs like Golden and Littleton (which were originally independent towns), or some exclusive custom-home enclaves like Cherry Hills Village or much of Greenwood Village. Most of suburban metro Denver consists of post-war suburban tract development.

Parker has something of a town center on Mainstreet and Parker, but it's easy to miss if you don't know where to look. (Parker was very tiny prior to its current growth boom). If you are thinking about Parker I'd encourage you to check out that area. Parker has grown so quickly in the last 10 years that it's also largely a collection of new-growth subdivisions.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:21 PM

739 posts, read 2,784,009 times
for a great town center and some diversity of architecture, I would definitely consider Stapleton. You mention little bars, coffee shops and not "cookie cutter tracts" so Stapleton woudl be a good option. I don't know much about SouthShore but have heard good things about it too.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:08 PM

291 posts, read 1,968,483 times
You are actually looking at opposing values. Good schools vs. "town center" don't fit with a reasonable commute. I highly recommend Stapleton because it is near some "centers", and work. The housing variety is huge, and in quite a few price levels. The downside are the schools, but something's gotta give, right?

Cherry Creek School District actually goes as far north as Alameda avenue, so there are 'close' options, but the CCSD area has no "town centers". Southlands shopping area comes close, however, it's mostly chains. Check out their district map.

Also, while Parker does have a definable "town center", it is very small, and much of the town is more 'cookie-cutter' than Stapleton. Oh yes, don't forget to figure gasoline at $4 a gallon.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:33 AM

I should mention as a Denver resident that there are decent schools in DPS and kids can get a great education there. We are planning on sending our kid to DPS. The main difference between DPS and CCSD is that in CCSD you can pretty much send your kid to the "regular" local school and not think about it, whereas in Denver you have to be creative and shop for the best option(s) for your kid. As I said, there's been a lot of previous discussions about DPS.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:44 PM

Thanks guys,

I'm looking into Stapleton more, as well as some areas east and west of the Cherry Creek reservoir. Quick question though, if I Google Earth houses for sale in Stapleton area, I get the image below. Obviously more development has taken place since this image was taken, but is there a thriving community there now like I led to believe, or is it still a bunch of funny-colored houses slapped onto a disused airport? Where are the bars, restaurants and coffee shops etc. are they in the non-redeveloped part?

Old 05-30-2007, 10:09 PM

11,483 posts, read 31,069,023 times
lots of funny colored houses, a new king soopers, new home depot - new shops north of I-70, all along Quebec - nice place to enjoy life.

They have film in the park, farmers market...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver