Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM

557 posts, read 810,921 times

Advertisements

I always chuckle about the comments about wanting higher humidity. We can't wait to get out of the 85-100% humidity. All about perspectives. I'll take drinking more water and using lotion over sweating just walking to the mailbox!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 PM

356 posts, read 624,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
I always chuckle about the comments about wanting higher humidity. We can't wait to get out of the 85-100% humidity. All about perspectives. I'll take drinking more water and using lotion over sweating just walking to the mailbox!
Don't forget skin cracking and tons of chap stick.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:52 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Yes, I work for an IT firm based out of the Chicago area. I am on the operations side of things. If you are an engineer of some sort, you can probably live fairly well out here (Denver-Boulder), though competition is surely tight. But as far as professional operations and admin jobs, I do not see a lot of these jobs available here.
I'm on the web services end of the biz.

I see Denver as growing, but not gang busters. Salt Lake City, on the other hand, seems poised for more aggressive growth, but it's still a pretty small market.

Thanks for the information!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:09 PM

129 posts, read 211,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
WOW People!!!!

People complain about things and fail to realize that they are simply comparing it to their personal perceptions which are based on broad generalizations and not at all factual. I've never understood this, it's not hard to realize this.

Well I was going to rant more but I don't want to be like the people who need to get over themselves.
I understand your point, and your disagreements with what you feel are mischaracterizations; however, what makes your opinions & "personal perceptions" any more "factual"? Everyone is entitled to their own views & opinions, and of course, they are not only based upon personal perceptions, but personal likes & dislikes.
I lived in Hawaii for many years, and met lots of people who disliked it for the very reasons millions of others love it, doesn't make either one any more factual, for when it comes to whether one likes a place or not, as with music, it's subjective, not about right or wrong..... just sayin.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 PM

557 posts, read 810,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCO5280 View Post
I'm telling ya, until you've lived in it (I assume you, or others that commented haven't), you just don't understand.

Then again, I guess you could say the same thing. I'll take my chances though

Curious if many have lived in both climates, and what their take is.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 PM

86 posts, read 126,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I wouldn't consider Denver a small city. I mean it's not an "A-tier" city like New York, Chicago, LA, etc...

But Denver's metro is a little over 2.5 million, more of a "B-tier" city like Baltimore, Portland, Pittsburgh, etc. Though much of the area is kinda spread out in the suburbs, the city of Denver is big enough that you can live an "urban" lifestyle if you want.

Having lived in DC and Seattle before moving here (both cities are MUCH bigger than Denver), I was expecting it to feel small here. But that's not the case at all.

I agree, size doesn't make a city. Just because NYC has 8mn (25mn in the greater area) doesn't make it fantastic. In fact it makes it damn hard to get around sometimes. A city is all about the people and what value they add. In fact the people are all that matter. If you can look around you and feel part of a community count yourself as lucky.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 PM

529 posts, read 1,547,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxnFlutman View Post
I understand your point, and your disagreements with what you feel are mischaracterizations; however, what makes your opinions & "personal perceptions" any more "factual"? Everyone is entitled to their own views & opinions, and of course, they are not only based upon personal perceptions, but personal likes & dislikes.
I lived in Hawaii for many years, and met lots of people who disliked it for the very reasons millions of others love it, doesn't make either one any more factual, for when it comes to whether one likes a place or not, as with music, it's subjective, not about right or wrong..... just sayin.
What opinions or personal perceptions did I make? The only point I was trying to make was the one you said you understand, I'm confused what your point is. What you're saying about Hawaii is exactly what I was saying too. The people who push their opinions down others throats and fail to realize that they are just opinions are the type of people I was referring to. Regardless of what side they are on.

Again what is your point?

What I said about CO_Transplant goes for anybody, there's people everywhere like this, including Colorado.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
1) Denver has a very long, very cold winter that is mostly overcast, and you are looking at brown lawns and leaveless trees and freezing your axx off.
2) Do we even need a 2? Weather dominates our lives. Anyone who says differently is lying to you.

And yes it is a fairly small city. I know it is all you've got, but call a spade a spade.
Hmmm? I think you're confusing Denver with Chicago or Minneapolis.

It's brown in Denver because of the arid climate, not because of winter. Ever been to AZ, or Kansas and Oklahoma, etc? Phoenix just has cacti and palm trees scattered around that's it! Denver has evergreen and deciduous, etc. scattered around. ARID CLIMATE!!!!!

You must be from Phoenix, why is 120 degrees for three months of the year normal? (I lived in Chandler AZ for two years, I hated the climate)

Winter is actually the sunniest time of the year in Denver.

You must be one of those people who despises snow and interprets 3 snowy days out of 15 as being "always snowy" WOW!!!!

It was 60 degrees several times so far this winter, and there's only been 18 inches of snow since October! It's been 50-55 degrees and sunny 80% of the time. So how is it always snowy and overcast?

Just because tiny snow flurries are possible in October and April doesn't mean winter is "very long" It's rare for "snow" to occur in October and April and if it does it happens one day and is preceeded and followed by 60-70 degree weather the rest of the month. You sound like people from Seattle who claim Dallas is rainier and cloudier than Seattle just because it gets more rain each year, yeah constant drizzle and overcast skies in Seattle 80% of the year is better than just two weeks of heavy rain in Dallas (which is where the total comes from) followed by sunshine the rest of the year. WOW!!!!!

Denver isn't a small city! Stop comparing it to NYC or LA!

Phoenix may have 5 million people, but it feels like one big enormous suburb!!! Not any more urban than Denver!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-23-2013 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Not helpful....

Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCO5280 View Post
It's all about what you prefer. I'll take chapped lips over sweating non stop and feeling like I'm going to pass out at any moment while being eaten alive by mosquitos. I've lived in Texas and Louisiana, I know humidity!

Last edited by JMM64; 02-22-2013 at 11:59 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
Didn't you read the other thread where people were saying Arizona is greener than Denver?

Reality is apparently not just subjective, it is purely optional.

FWIW, I would argue Denver is a big city, but not a BIG city. It is greener than it would be without irrigation, but not as green as places back east.

Denver isn't complete, it is quite dynamic and redefining itself continuously. It think that is one reason it is a popular destination for people who are looking for something different.
Arizona is a state and Denver is a city, hmmmm?

Phoenix is greener than Denver? You must mean that the cacti and palm trees never change. Well DUH we have seasons in Colorado, this doesn't mean Phoenix is greener it's just greener more often. I lived in Phoenix NOT A GREEN PLACE!!!! I agree there are a few more shrubs and bushes along I-10, etc. than many Denver roads, but it's hardly a difference.

Last edited by JMM64; 02-23-2013 at 12:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver