Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 PM

529 posts, read 1,547,633 times

Advertisements

Good God people Denver isn't NYC or LA DUH!!!!! But it's not Lufkin, TX or Lowell, AR either! Phoenix definitely does not feel like a more urban area than Denver to me, Phoenix feels like one HUGE suburb.

Enough with this big city argument, it's soooooooooo DUMB!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:28 PM

55 posts, read 182,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post

Curious if many have lived in both climates, and what their take is.
Having lived in both climates, I can honestly say: There is no amount of money that would make me leave Denver and go back to the humid south. Seriously, there is no comparison. In Denver you can buy a bottle of lotion, some chapstick and take water with you everywhere you go. When you step outside into a Floridian summer and Mother Nature drapes that hot, heavy, moist towel over your entire body, then blasts you with waves of soggy, yet fiery air, there is nothing you can do but go back inside, take another shower, and pray for winter.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
I have lived near Pittsburgh PA, Briefly in Jacksonville NC, Yuma AZ, Denver CO, Las Vegas NV.

I'll take the arid/desert climate over the humidity any day! FWIW Denver and Las Vegas have surprisingly similar weather 75-80% of the year IMHO!

Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lobster View Post
Having lived in both climates, I can honestly say: There is no amount of money that would make me leave Denver and go back to the humid south. Seriously, there is no comparison. In Denver you can buy a bottle of lotion, some chapstick and take water with you everywhere you go. When you step outside into a Floridian summer and Mother Nature drapes that hot, heavy, moist towel over your entire body, then blasts you with waves of soggy, yet fiery air, there is nothing you can do but go back inside, take another shower, and pray for winter.

That's why we retired to COLO SPGS, not FL, NV, NM, or AZ.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM

557 posts, read 810,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lobster View Post

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
Arizona is a state and Denver is a city, hmmmm?

Phoenix is greener than Denver? You must mean that the cacti and palm trees never change. Well DUH we have seasons in Colorado, this doesn't mean Phoenix is greener it's just greener more often. I lived in Phoenix NOT A GREEN PLACE!!!! I agree there are a few more shrubs and bushes along I-10, etc. than many Denver roads, but it's hardly a difference.
Either my sarcasm content was too low or your detector is on the fritz. Either way, I think we are on the same side of things here.

FWIW, when it does rain and the dust is washed off the flora what green the major metro areas of Arizona have really can look quite nice... for about a day.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post

Curious if many have lived in both climates, and what their take is.
Every place is a trade-off of one sort or another. As I type this, my windows are wide open, birds are chirping, and the morning air is gentle. No winter snowstorm is expected.

I moved to Denver in 1968, left in 2005.
I do not miss driving in the snow, black ice, picking up dead branches after a spring snow storm, or the eczema I would get every winter. The sunny winter thaws were nice, but the spring/fall snows did get to me.

I've been in north Florida for 8 years now, 2 years on the Gulf, 6 years on the northeast coast. I think I have had enough experience with humidity to comment. Um, yeah, it gets humid, especially in August/September. You just have to deal with it. And the bugs. That's part of the trade-off.

I like having a real spring and fall. I'm a swimmer, and the maritime climate, terrain (and fresh seafood!) suits me. I am off during the summer, but enjoy the beach 12 months of the year.

Unlike others, I'm *not* going to say that "there is no amount of money to get me to move back" or anything like that.
I moved around a bit as a kid, I am adaptable, could live just about anywhere.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
1) Denver has a very long, very cold winter that is mostly overcast, and you are looking at brown lawns and leaveless trees and freezing your axx off.
2) Do we even need a 2? Weather dominates our lives. Anyone who says differently is lying to you.

And yes it is a fairly small city. I know it is all you've got, but call a spade a spade.
1) I can't imagine where you came from to say that! The winters are long, the snow season can last 6-7 months. But unlike the winters in the northeast or midwest, there are long periods of warm sunny weather with highs in the 50s, at least.

2) To a certain extent, yes, weather dominates our lives. People here in CO talk about the weather a lot.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:19 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Recently moved to Lakewood from Fort Collins.

Negatives:

Weather - The ups and downs are really crazy here. The fact that it can be 60 degrees here one day and 25 with snow on the ground the next is a huge downside to the Front Range. The wind here can be pretty outrageous, as are the hailstorms and thunderstorms. Winter lasts entirely too long, with snow likely from November through April, if not May.

Compared to Nevada, where I am from, I don't find the Front Range to be that sunny or dry either. I guess it's all relative.

Drivers - The left lane hogging here is beyond absurd. Why people can't be gracious enough to move over for faster traffic is beyond me. It is true that the right lane in metro Denver is the passing lane. I have even seen a driver race up the shoulder on I-25. As crazy a maneuver as that is, I can't really blame someone for getting that frustrated driving here.

Merging here is poor, but that is probably due to poorly designed merge points and the chain reaction caused by just one bad driver.

Food - For a large city, I am very disappointed. It seems that a lot of people here just like bland food. When I moved down here, I had some neighbors over for tacos and fajitas. The complaints about the food being too spicy were hilarious, seeing as I used a mild seasoning. Next time I'll know to get some plain pasta from Noodles & Co.

The chains here are everywhere and the mom and pop shops have too much attitude. I have just stuck to making my own food, instead of going out, which is fine. It still would be nice to feel like I'm surrounded by a plethora of great dining options.

People - Very distant and cold. Some people warm up to you, others just want to remain strangers. The level of seething passive aggressive behavior strikes me. I have seen two men throw fists in a King Soopers parking lot over a parking space, I have had people run over my heels or bump my cart in the store without saying a word, I have had people cut me dirty looks or quickly pull out a cell phone when I have said hello to them in the elevator at work. It's odd behavior, but it's good to hear that other people experience it too and it's not just me.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I'll take the arid/desert climate over the humidity any day! FWIW Denver and Las Vegas have surprisingly similar weather 75-80% of the year IMHO!
Denver and Las Vegas weather is nothing similar. Las Vegas is on average 20 degrees warmer year round. That is a big difference. Especially for people who don't like extreme cold (Denver) or extreme heat (Las Vegas). Las Vegas has way more sunshine, 85% vs. 69% for Denver. Oh and did I say that Las Vegas doesn't get 60 inches of snow a year.

Both cities have there good and bad points for climate. But they are not close to the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver