Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:16 PM

23 posts, read 69,743 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Denver in the next four weeks and I am coming out there next week to find a place to rent. I am a single mom in her mid 40's with two girls ages 10-15. I was wondering is the Cherry Creek area and Wahsington Park area are good for all of us. Is it more of the younger crowd is there families, kids, friendly neighbors? We all kind of like the urban feel and being able to walk to resturants,shops ect. I also need to be centrally located for my employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:55 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
Yes, those are good areas. Since you're renting, it's not the end of the world if you find it isn't perfect.

Further south along University and Colorado Blvds would be good areas to look into too, since the commute shouldn't be too bad from there either. All the areas from Cherry Creek south on University and Colorado Blvds are very nice neighborhoods, all the way down into Centennial (south of Orchard). Cherry Hills Village is mansion country, however, so you probably can't afford to live there.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
The area around University and Evans is full of DU students, might not be too "family friendly". Some of the areas east of there seem like nice residential areas.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 PM

14 posts, read 25,591 times
Default Single Mom Moving to Denver

I am a newly single mom moving to Denver this Spring for a job. Along with all the worries of uprooting my family, I have some concerns! I'm a proud GA Peach, born and raised, so it's new territory. I'd like some help with major concerns:

1.) I am a black woman looking for a comfortable and SAFE area that is not too far from work. I believe the job is either near the airport or an area near Sullivan(?) near Yale Ave?/Syracuse/Yosemite based on the map. Any suggestions on a short commute where there area also great daycares for a 3-yr old. I'd like an area diverse with minorities if possible.

2.) How is the social scene for the 30-something crowd. I'm a young black woman who loves music, arts, sports, you name it! - and all people that love the same

3.) Being an Atlanta native traffic is a horrible evil here..what about Denver?

4.) Also, I'm really used to Georgia weather...do I need to trade my sundresses for uggs?

5.) FYI - I'm looking for a rental (gated apartment, townhome, condo)around 800-1000 monthly. I've got to become familiar with the new cost of living factors and have no clue. I love the city life, but want to be an area that provides a great life for a young child - playtime! safety! I'm a country girl at heart, but love the advantages and resources in the city.

Please help...I'm a nervous wreck

Last edited by PeaceMaker2010; 03-11-2010 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: omission

Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceMaker2010 View Post

3.) Being an Atlanta native traffic is a horrible evil here..what about Denver?
Not bad at all. anyone here who says otherwise hasn't experienced East Coast traffic like you and I have.

Quote:
4.) Also, I'm really used to Georgia weather...do I need to trade my sundresses for uggs?
You're going to get the full range of weather in Denver. The biggest difference is the complete lack of humidity in Colorado. You'll find that it's very dry here. The kind of dry that chaps your lips and cracks your skin.

Apart from that, the other big difference is the cold winters. Compared to Atlanta, Denver gets very cold and snowy about 3-4 months of the year. You'll have to stock up on warm clothing.

Quote:
5.) FYI - I'm looking for a rental (gated apartment, townhome, condo)around 800-1000 monthly.
Very do-able. You can definitely find some nice places.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
The good thing is you are moving just after the really cold months, so that can help ease your transition. As 80skeys said, it's very dry here, so lather up in lotion if you have dry skin to begin with. Regarding diversity, there are some threads about that on this forum. There will be many areas especially in the suburb areas where you won't see a single AA or Hispanic around, so it's a bit of shock when you first move from the southeast. I'm pretty colorblind in my interactions with people but I know it's important for some folks and I respect their needs. Best of luck on your move!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM

109 posts, read 278,648 times
The Denver art scene is incredible. Denver has the second largest performing arts complex in the nation. As for weather, Denver is hot and sunny in the summer and mild and sunny in the winter with ocational snow. The air is very dry here so it will take a while for your skin to adjust. We average 15 inches of rain a year. Denver is not a very diverse city but the culinary scene compares to San Fran. Traffic probably is not as bad as Atlanta and there are public transportation options.
Overall if you are an active or outdoorsy person I can't think of a better place to live. but if that isn't for you Denver may not be your city.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarren09 View Post
The Denver art scene is incredible. Denver has the second largest performing arts complex in the nation. As for weather, Denver is hot and sunny in the summer and mild and sunny in the winter with ocational snow. The air is very dry here so it will take a while for your skin to adjust. We average 15 inches of rain a year. Denver is not a very diverse city but the culinary scene compares to San Fran. Traffic probably is not as bad as Atlanta and there are public transportation options.
Overall if you are an active or outdoorsy person I can't think of a better place to live. but if that isn't for you Denver may not be your city.
I agree with everything you said except about the art scene. It's not that good. Lots of cities have much more active and varied scene.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:23 PM

14 posts, read 25,591 times
Default thanks

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm excited for the move. The biggest concern is finding a place near downtown (FAST) where me and my little one are comfortable and where daycare options will make me smile - and not break the bank. Thanks so much! Oh BTW, since I'm a lotion and chapstick junkie...I should be fine. I am very thankful also that I'm coming towards Spring! I can't wait to EAT and take a stroll in the park. If any specific rental communities or daycares come to mind...I'm welcoming all suggestions. First week in town the mission is to find both and get my daughter settled!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:13 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
I don't know why you're looking downtown. Your work location is in SE Denver, which would be a perfect and affordable spot for you to live in (and meets all of your criteria).

You wouldn't even have to put up with traffic! And Downtown is 20 minutes away by car (sans traffic), and on the light rail it's 30.

I live in SE Denver and it's great.

Look in zips 80231, 80237, 80222 and 80224 (and perhaps Aurora 80014).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver