Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Believe me, compared to big East Coast cities, Denver is slow.

Depends. If you're coming from the urban jungle of NYC where you never see the stars or breathe fresh air, then moving to Colorado could be a major improvement if you value those types of things.
Wait till you're in the hospital. See if the nurse responds to your call light promptly. See if you get your meals, your meds, etc in a timely manner. See if your doc shows up every day to visit you. Granted, I've never worked in NYC, but I have worked in several eastern cities, and never noticed a difference when I came here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 04:35 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wait till you're in the hospital. See if the nurse responds to your call light promptly. See if you get your meals, your meds, etc in a timely manner. See if your doc shows up every day to visit you. Granted, I've never worked in NYC, but I have worked in several eastern cities, and never noticed a difference when I came here.
I've worked at bellevue in NYC and denver health here, and it is a completely different world. here, the rooms are clean and private, tests are generally done in a timely manner, nurses are still overworked, but not nearly so as in new york. Denver health has a rep with some people, but compared to what goes on in new york, this place feels like a spa

Old 03-05-2010, 04:42 PM

94 posts, read 245,762 times
Quote:
Denver

Stapleton
Lowry (Upscale)
Green Valley Ranch (Close to Airport)
Those three areas are all in the city and county of Denver, referred to as distinct neighborhoods much like City Park West, Washington Park or Montbello. Only GVR really feels different than any other neighborhood in the city because it is so far away.

I would not label Highlands Ranch as Upscale, nor would I not label Stapleton as such when you consider the average house price in the latter is much higher than in the former.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:51 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

??? I think we're talking about two different things. When I say Denver is slow, I'm talking about the overall pace of life - the hustle and bustle of daily living - not specific things within that arena - and I think it's the general impression that most people want to know about when they talk about a place being slow or fast.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,289 times
Walk around riverfront, it is in lodo on little raven st. There is a fun park there and some fun little shops. Also check out Pearl St. and Galord St. (both by washpark, galord is closer though)

Old 03-07-2010, 01:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,817 times
I'm so glad you've started this thread. I'm also a single 30 something professional female born & raised in a Big City (Chicago). I've been working in Scottsdale for the last 6 months (migrated straight from Downtown Chicago) and am relocating to Denver this month. I'm too in search for a GREAT neighborhood to call home there. Scottsdale is such a transient city and I've found it VERY difficult to develop a social circle here. I'm used to the Midwest, where strangers exchange eye contact and pleasantries. I'm a VERY outgoing person, so when I say it is challenging in the West- it's really challenging. I totally miss the big city energy and hope to get back there within the next few years, but am optimistic about relocating to Denver, as I've made a few trips there and do think it will give me MUCH more of an urban vibe + will EXACTLY host your new needs.

From what I've discovered about Denver on the trips I'd been:
-Friendly Active People
-Sure, less culture and diversity than NY/Chicago, but FAR MORE than other cities
-From a Gemini's perspective, I love that Denver has a host of varied activities and a diverse group of people who enjoy them (still looking for a beach there...)
-the number single professional men OUTWEIGH the number of single professional women (something neither of us are used to from NY/Chicago) = SCORE (they also have a HUGE GLBT community)
-I figured to take what we know about city life and divide it by 1/2 = Denver
-Denver boasts distinctive neighborhood cultures by grid lines.
-The streets are on a grid system (like we're used to)
-Every thing OUTSIDE of Denver city limits are considered, from our perspective, SUBURBAN.
-Denver Downtown is Very Cool (do not compare to what we know, it's different, but still very good when we want a faster pace)- 16th street mall is what stands out to me most (I thought I remembered horse carriage rides there, but maybe I'm thinking Michigan Ave).
-You will need a vehicle there, though cabs/public transit are pretty accessible (again not as much as you're accustomed to, but better than MANY cities). I lived in downtown Chicago, just before moving to AZ and was a Zipcar member for 1 yr (loved it!), so I understand you trying to weigh this out. I've obviously gotten a car since, will take it there as well (every apt complex I've researched offers a free parking space, so I assume that having at least 1 vehicle there is the norm).

I'm still undecided about my Denver neighborhood selection, but am looking for something MORE fast paced than you are currently. This desert life is driving me INSANE!!!! So my top picks are:
-Downtown
-Uptown
-Zipcodes 8020(any single digit after the last zero)
-Walk Scores of 80 + (you'll like this site: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods. )
-New cool apt bldg going up in Stapleton ( Moda Lofts ), but I think that neighborhood lacks lots of culture, because it's so new and thus is like any other burb that just happens to be confined to Denver City Limits (though it's an uber cute neighborhood)

I know people are talking a lot about Highlands (not Highland Ranch), but non of the internet images reflect it well, I'll have to check it out when I go soon.

This site will help you as well (thorough decriptions AND VIDEO about each Denver neighborhood): About Denver - Your Guide to Denver Colorado Neighborhoods | VISIT DENVER

Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com® Apartment Finder
Should help you get feelers for neighborhood costs, but may not list as many private owner single family home rentals as craigslist would

So, I'm actually having to get there in a few weeks, drive neighborhoods, tour with the rental guy and sign a lease before 04/01, so I'll be happy to share any more findings that are relevant to your investigation. If nothing else, when you arrive--you've already got at least 1 friend...gotta start somewhere

BEST!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
??? I think we're talking about two different things. When I say Denver is slow, I'm talking about the overall pace of life - the hustle and bustle of daily living - not specific things within that arena - and I think it's the general impression that most people want to know about when they talk about a place being slow or fast.
I'm talking about the work pace. It's no different here than in Wilmington Delaware or Pittsburgh, the eastern cities where I have worked.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:42 PM

94 posts, read 245,762 times
Quote:
\-Walk Scores of 80 + (you'll like this site
I wrote parts of the algorithm they still use while I was still in school. I wish they continued to refine it. Sufficient to say, it is bull**** as it stands today. I live in an area that is well above the bull**** score that their system gives me and it kills me to know why.

Do not believe the scores from that crap system.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,817 times
"Outside1"

I'm in tech so I understand your frustration. Can we "assume" that all their walk scores are less than they should be, so we'll be pleasantly surprised to find a score of 85 to actually be one of 91? Still sounds like a good resource, no?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outside1 View Post
I wrote parts of the algorithm they still use while I was still in school. I wish they continued to refine it. Sufficient to say, it is bull**** as it stands today. I live in an area that is well above the bull**** score that their system gives me and it kills me to know why.

Do not believe the scores from that crap system.
Yeah, funny my apt in the east village in NYC scored a 98 but somehow my Denver home scores a perfect 100. I'm not sure how they came to that numbr because it was far easier to live without a car in new york. Anyway, I'm sure that score of 100 will help when it comes time to sell the house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver