Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 PM

12 posts, read 23,839 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female in my late 30s, and have lived in New York City for the past 15years. I'm looking for a change for a few reasons - quality of life (getting burnt out from the NYC State of Mind and pace here), and I love outdoors activities (hiking, skiing, camping, running, biking). I'm thinking Denver would be a great place for me - has access to all of the outdoorsy type activities and I'm assuming attracts 'like minded' folks. I'm torn b/c I do have a fabulous life in NYC, and my family/friends are all here - but seriously think its time for me to try something new! I am coming out to Denver for 2 days before a ski trip in March, and staying in the LoDo area downtown while I"m there. I have a few questions:

1) I want to get a sense of Denver's 'downtown' so any recommendations are appreciated. Walking tours? what blocks to walk around?

2) ALso, want to check out a few neighborhoods while I'm there (as consideration for where I'd live if I move to DEN) - a few people have told me to check out Washington Park. What else should i check out?

3) anyone know how the job market is in Denver for Project Managers? I have a background in management consulting, Technology/IT consulting, and am currently a PM at an advertising agency running our internal project mgmt organization.

4) how hard is it to meet new people (both dating men, and meeting female friends)? I'm outgoing/social (and independent/confident) - have had no problem in NYC joining various meetups/hiking groups etc here. Or having a drink in a bar by myself!

Sorry so long winded -- thanks for any tips/help/advice/suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 PM

215 posts, read 771,521 times
As a former New Yorker who hasn't moved to Denver yet I can't give you any advice, but I can say I understand why you're thinking of Denver since I fell in love with it on my first visit - you're going to love the urban climate with the Rockies only about 45 minutes away..

Curious, where did you live before NYC?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:04 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat0504 View Post

1) I want to get a sense of Denver's 'downtown' so any recommendations are appreciated. Walking tours? what blocks to walk around?
16th street mall area has the most to do. Plenty to keep you busy for a couple days.

Quote:
2) ALso, want to check out a few neighborhoods while I'm there (as consideration for where I'd live if I move to DEN) - a few people have told me to check out Washington Park. What else should i check out?
Pretty much neighborhoods in and around downtown and Central Denver are the most interesting ones. That includes Washington Park. You can also look at the South Broadway area.

Quote:
3) anyone know how the job market is in Denver for Project Managers?
Poor.

Quote:
4) how hard is it to meet new people (both dating men, and meeting female friends)?
Hit and miss. You'll find a more reserved attitude out here. Not suprising since this is "the West". I know a young (30) single, cute woman who lives in Denver. She moved there about 3 years ago. She told me it took her about a year to establish a social life. Considering that she's a personable, interesting young woman (who lived in NYC also), this gives you an idea of how things are.

All said and done, I think moving to Denver would probably be a decent move for you. You'd have the great outdoors (the Rocky mountains are spectacular), you'd be in a mid-sized city with most of the amenities you'd expect. But, you may find yourself getting bored - the social scene and city life is several notches below NYC - and there's a lack of artistic/cultural scene which means you aren't surrounded by all the interesting artists, dancers, writers, businessman, etc. which you're used to in NYC!!

kind of a toss up. I've been living out West for the past five years and have been missing the city -life (came from D.C.). Admittedly for the past five years I've been stuck in a couple small desert towns. Things might be different if I was living in Denver or Seattle or something like that.

Well good luck

Old 03-01-2010, 12:32 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
I'd recommend considering Boston or Pittsburgh as well. My reasoning is that you can compromise in that you get a more laid back atmosphere than NYC, but you don't stray so far away from family. It's easier to visit them if you're still in the east than if you're all the way in Denver. Also, the cultural amenities in Boston and Pittsburgh are better than those of Denver. Both cities are relatively close to mountain activities. Or if you want to go whole hog away from the big city life, try Portland, Maine --- beautiful city on the doorstep of the Maine woods.

Also, if you have a good job in NYC, it might be more than prudent to hold on to it for a while. This economy is still in a rather precarious situation, and it is rather risky to move away from a good job right now.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 AM

180 posts, read 378,264 times
You say you're burnt out on the NYC state of mind. I used to say the same thing about Chicago. I quickly learned that moving somewhere doesn't instantly cure that. Denver is nothing like NYC or Chicago; it's a pretty significant change. Be prepared for that.

Also, no offense, but isn't your late 30s kind of an odd time to "try something new?" That seems like something that should have been done in your 20s. It would be understandable if you had nothing keeping you there, but you said all your friends/family are in NYC. Do you really want to move here, or does your boring, old routine just need a shake-up?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post
Also, no offense, but isn't your late 30s kind of an odd time to "try something new?"
She wasn't asking for personal advice.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Any time is a good time to try something new. We traveled a bit over the years and knew that cool, dry air was what we wanted, so upon retirement we left the DC area for Colorado Springs; haven't regretted it one bit.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,061 times
late 30's a little late to try something new? haha. yeah she should have her retirement home picked out be now. Anyhow I just moved here from the East and it's definitely more laid back here. I'm in my thirties and female and while I didn't move here alone I've managed to make a couple friends pretty quickly.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 AM

180 posts, read 378,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
She wasn't asking for personal advice.
Questions that involve uprooting your entire life aren't personal? Interesting.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post
Questions that involve uprooting your entire life aren't personal? Interesting.
Her questions are specifically about the city of Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver