Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 AM

20 posts, read 76,651 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Denver in May. I have been looking through the threads and trying to decide the best area for me to live in. I wanted to see if anyone could give me any information on Westminster. Is it a good neighborhood, ie safe, clean, etc., or would I be better off in Littleton? Thank you in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 12:17 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,341,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alli_potts View Post
I am moving to Denver in May. I have been looking through the threads and trying to decide the best area for me to live in. I wanted to see if anyone could give me any information on Westminster. Is it a good neighborhood, ie safe, clean, etc., or would I be better off in Littleton? Thank you in advance for any advice.
You answered yourself in your own question-"good or bad"; That is the answer. Westminster is a big city suburbs with many different types of neighborhood. Some are new; some are old; some are wealthy; some are less so; some are perhaps safer; some perhaps not so; but I have never seen, or heard of, an area that I would avoid because of crime.

Westminster covers a big area and the location of where you commute to your job can make one area better than the other. In addition, what do you like?? Westminster has denser older suburbs with excellent public transit. It also has the suburban sprawl with the necessity to drive everywhere.

I will say that Westminster is a safe city. It has an excellent expansive park system and open spaces with some of the most outstanding recreational facilities in the area. It provides good city services and that it pays much attention to development of businesses and improvement of neighborhoods. So, it can be said that it is a very progressive city when you see the new growth in the northern areas and the aggressive efforts to redevelop the older areas with excellent shopping all over the city.

As I have said it offers many different styles of living with a good growing ethnic diversity. I have lived just on the border of Westminster in Arvada for many decades. I happen to enjoy the Hispanic and Asian stores and culture that you will find in the older central business core and I use often the recreational amenities of this city.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-02-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 12:20 PM

726 posts, read 2,139,475 times
Where are you working? downtown? what else are you looking for? Westminster is a pretty big area (as is Littleton) so there are some not as nice areas ans some extremely nice areas. Littleton has the advantage of having light rail stations if that interests you.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM

Thank you both for the quick replies.

Regarding:

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Where are you working? downtown? what else are you looking for? .
I will be working from home when I first arrive, doing freelance work until I find a regular job.

I tend to be a homebody, and like to cook at home. I like quiet neighborhoods, but with good shopping areas. Lots of bookstores and electronic stores are a plus as I tend to be a tech geek and I love to read. I like to walk and bike, so walking and bike trails would be a great.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:27 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,341,901 times
Quote:
Thank you both for the quick replies.

Regarding:

I will be working from home when I first arrive, doing freelance work until I find a regular job.

I tend to be a homebody, and like to cook at home. I like quiet neighborhoods, but with good shopping areas. Lots of bookstores and electronic stores are a plus as I tend to be a tech geek and I love to read. I like to walk and bike, so walking and bike trails would be a great.
Then what you need to look at is the maps of all the trails
Trail System - City of Westminster, Colorado (http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/246.htm - broken link) What you can see is that there is impressive recreational amenities on the Great Plains and not all in the Mountains.

Livecontent

Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,062,935 times
My favorite area in the Westminster city limit is.......Hidden Lake!!!
It is really cool!! It even has a restaurant that one can "boat"up to. It has 2 levels. One is fancier and one is a sports bar restaurant. Around the lake,..are homes that have their own docks..many others have lake views.
It is an area off of Sheridan and 60th (just north of Willis Case Golf course) and goes over to Lowell and 72cnd..or so.
Just google Hidden Lake Denver Colorado and you will be able to see different websites. They do have a new High School (if that is important to you).
When I was growing up near by...I would often think how cool it would be to live there. A lot of people don't even know it exists!!!
It is only blocks from I70 so...real easy to get anywhere be it, downtown, foothills, etc!!!
Check it out....shhhhhhhh!!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 AM

Thank you both so much this is so helpful.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Either Westminster or Littleton would be good choices. Both have very upscale and very frugal areas. These are hardly your only choices in the metro area. What clicks with you is a very personal thing. Come out here and take a look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver