Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Wow really historic baker district? Very cool bars, eateries, and old homes...
Also drifting trash, tagging, vacant lots and run-down property. But also remember I am an old fart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:33 PM

94 posts, read 245,762 times
Quote:
- anywhere north of City Park to the I-70 (Cole, Whittier, Clayton)
Historically African American neighborhoods in transition due to gentrification.
Quote:
- anywhere east of City Park north of about 23rd Street (North Park Hill)
Historically African American neighborhood further north, some very pricey homes upwards of 800k in that area.
Quote:
- Baker and Lincoln Park neighborhoods just south of downtown
Artist neighborhoods, historically blue collar until the 90's. Close proximity to Broadway and all of the places to eat and drink, the west side is close to some industrial areas.
Quote:
- Five Points area
Historically an African American neighborhood. Gentrification at the rate of a block or two a year northwards.
Quote:
- within 1 block of Colorado Blvd or Colfax
There are plenty of great places within a block of either and both come with benefits, in particular the neighbors who live around the Bluebird Theater and get free passes to mitigate the parking issues on concert nights.

I'm not calling you a racist here, but I can't simply ignore the reality that you singled out every African American neighborhood, historically if not currently as bad and to be avoided. I would hope that others will keep a more open mind and actually explore these areas as they offer what little diversity Denver can offer these days as economics have pushed so many people out of the city itself.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariafraietta View Post
I agree with everyone--I'm a 37 year old female and there's not one place in Denver that I wouldn't walk alone at night. Even the notoriously "shady" areas like Colfax or Five Points are actually quite awesome when you get to know them.

What are you looking FOR??
I think this is what the OP was going for (and I'm curious myself) - the 'notoriously shady' areas. It's been my experience that unsafe neighborhoods don't get that reputation without cause.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside1 View Post
I'm not calling you a racist here, but I can't simply ignore the reality that you singled out every African American neighborhood, historically if not currently as bad and to be avoided. I would hope that others will keep a more open mind and actually explore these areas as they offer what little diversity Denver can offer these days as economics have pushed so many people out of the city itself.
I currently live in a heavily diverse inner-city San Diego neighborhood. My neighborhood is mostly well-kept however nearby areas are not. We have black, white, latino, asian, elderly, college students, young families all in the same area. My comments are based on the conditions of the area: namely litter, graffitti, and home quality. In all the areas I mentioned I saw drifting trash, tagging, run-down and unkept homes. The race or class of the residents of the neighborhood are irrelevant to me. If traditionally African-American neighborhoods have problems with trash, tagging, and disrepair (which let's be honest, they often do), then they are of no interest to me as a place to live. Simple as that.

Gentrification can take decades to occur and it can and does reverse itself. Especially during a recession. If the majority of homes in an area are poorly kept, it will most likely remain that way for many years.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 04-08-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 03:06 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Also drifting trash, tagging, vacant lots and run-down property. But also remember I am an old fart.
Are you sure you're not confusing baker with the south lincoln projects area? I havent inspected all of baker but I have a hard to accepting your discription of it. I mean cap hill is way more gritty than baker and cap hill is no Haight Asbury IMO.

Here is some pics of baker
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html

Old 04-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Are you sure you're not confusing baker with the south lincoln projects area? I havent inspected all of baker but I have a hard to accepting your discription of it. I mean cap hill is way more gritty than baker and cap hill is no Haight Asbury IMO.

Here is some pics of baker
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html
You might be right. I am talking about the area along 5th / 6th / 7th / 8th. If you go south it may get better.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:54 AM

12 posts, read 56,684 times
most of the area Sassberto refers to is La Alma/Lincoln Park, which includes the South & North Lincoln "projects" (low income housing), the Santa Fe Arts district, Denver Health (an excellent hospital, but it does treat poor people), and the future major intersection of the Gold Line with the current light rail

the Baker neighborhood extends south from 6th Ave. to Mississippi, and from Broadway west to the South Platte River; it's a large neighborhood diverse in land use as well as socioeconomic status; i've lived here for 10 years and know many that have lived here more than 30 years; while Baker has gritty aspects, it's also quite safe; rates of violent crime are very low, much lower than LoDo for example (even though we have a concentration of liquor licenses second only to LoDo)

i suspect Sassberto doesn't know the area well because the parts of Baker that typically scare people (simply because they are poorer) are the west side of the residential area (Inca, Galapago, Fox) rather than the north side

the biggest crime threats in Baker are tagging and car break-ins; the streets are walkable at night and the people are very friendly -- we greet you as you walk by on the street in Baker; my home scores a 100 at walkscore.com, meaning i can walk to almost anything i need -- library, movies, coffeehouses, wine bars, music halls, art supply stores, galleries, restaurants, bookstores, transit, parks, a rec center, hairdressers, yoga, drugstores, banks, thrift store -- you name it

unless you are rich or afraid of diversity, Baker is a great neighborhood to live in; by the way it is the "Baker Neighborhood", not Baker District nor Historic Baker; the Baker Historic District is a specific smaller area within the residential part of the neighborhood (and not including Broadway at all) that has received a city Landmark Historic District designation

Old 04-10-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporobolus View Post

i suspect Sassberto doesn't know the area well because the parts of Baker that typically scare people (simply because they are poorer) are the west side of the residential area (Inca, Galapago, Fox) rather than the north side
You are correct I don't know the area well - that was my impression after a brief drive-thru. And while I saw nothing to be scared of, but did see an area I would not want to live in. My opinion only.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:59 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You are correct I don't know the area well - that was my impression after a brief drive-thru. And while I saw nothing to be scared of, but did see an area I would not want to live in. My opinion only.
I have been reading your posts. While, I do not disagree with some of your impressions or your right to choose where you want to live, I would like to give you some of my insights.

I know from experience that driving through some neighborhoods can give you certain impressions, especially when they are not perfect and appear a little rough. However, many times if you get out of your car, walk and actually engage people in stores and on the streets, it is not necessarily as bad as you would think. There is a certain behavior that pervades poorer areas; there is a way to act; there is a way to talk; there a way to walk which allows you to feel and see a common bond of concern and friendliness. You can sense this when you take public transportation in denser urban areas. You will not see this same type of personal engagement in wealthier areas, where aloofness and isolation is more the norm; where driving is necessary and preferred, over walking and using common public transit.

Yes, with the engagement there is a learned behavior of caution. However, many of these neighborhoods do offer many types of shopping, restaurants, entertainment and amenities that cannot be found in more sterile and homogeneous enclaves. They do offer authentic ethnic shops with reasonable prices than the faux, fancy and fluff stores of the "well to do".

As for an example, I would like to point out the stimulating experiences that you can get in the Asian ethnic community on South Federal. If you only drive by, you will miss some much of the unique stores, the groceries and the restaurants. The same can be said for many of the specialty Hispanic Markets in that area. The baker neighborhood was mentioned and I have found walking along Broadway and exploring the antiques and the restaurants as a good day. I could mention East Colfax, Parker Road in Aurora, and "North Denver" as adding a variety to life.

Perhaps I see the appeal of older, ethnic and poorer neighborhoods because I was raised in New York; or more to the point I am older, grew up and worked in ethnic areas, and know the feelings and the emotions of being not so wealthy.

This is just the thoughts of a man who has walked these streets.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-10-2010 at 03:20 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 07:01 AM

664 posts, read 2,066,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I have been reading your posts. While, I do not disagree with some of your impressions or your right to choose where you want to live, I would like to give you some of my insights.

I know from experience that driving through some neighborhoods can give you certain impressions, especially when they are not perfect and appear a little rough. However, many times if you get out of your car, walk and actually engage people in stores and on the streets, it is not necessarily as bad as you would think. There is a certain behavior that pervades poorer areas; there is a way to act; there is a way to talk; there a way to walk which allows you to feel and see a common bond of concern and friendliness. You can sense this when you take public transportation in denser urban areas. You will not see this same type of personal engagement in wealthier areas, where aloofness and isolation is more the norm; where driving is necessary and preferred, over walking and using common public transit.

Yes, with the engagement there is a learned behavior of caution. However, many of these neighborhoods do offer many types of shopping, restaurants, entertainment and amenities that cannot be found in more sterile and homogeneous enclaves. They do offer authentic ethnic shops with reasonable prices than the faux, fancy and fluff stores of the "well to do".

As for an example, I would like to point out the stimulating experiences that you can get in the Asian ethnic community on South Federal. If you only drive by, you will miss some much of the unique stores, the groceries and the restaurants. The same can be said for many of the specialty Hispanic Markets in that area. The baker neighborhood was mentioned and I have found walking along Broadway and exploring the antiques and the restaurants as a good day. I could mention East Colfax, Parker Road in Aurora, and "North Denver" as adding a variety to life.

Perhaps I see the appeal of older, ethnic and poorer neighborhoods because I was raised in New York; or more to the point I am older, grew up and worked in ethnic areas, and know the feelings and the emotions of being not so wealthy.

This is just the thoughts of a man who has walked these streets.

Livecontent
Good post - that's the beauty of having different neighborhoods. They all have something that they offer. You don't know what you're missing before you've experienced it.

There are no areas I avoid although I don't venture out of my side of town anymore because most everything I need is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver