Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 PM

108 posts, read 508,152 times

Advertisements

Try ABF U-pack. My son moved a 1 bedroom apartment from Maryland to California for less than $800. Since he lived in a college area, we could not get permission for them to drop a pod at his place of residence. So we hired a U-Haul and took his belonging to ABF U-pack where he loaded them on their truck. Once in California, he did the reverse: picking up his items at ABF U-pack.

If you're planning to sell almost everything, I would seriously sit down and figure out what is worth paying to bring. If it will cost more to ship it than it would to buy a replacement at your destination, then sell it. I'm planning a cross country move and will only be taking what I can fit in my Honda and pulling a small sport trailer. The cost of gas, hotels, food and renting the sport trailer are much much less than it would cost to ship my belongings. And you are traveling a much shorter distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 03:54 AM

6,377 posts, read 11,845,195 times
Get quotes from moving companies, lots of hungry companies out there. When you factor in gas cost and insurance on self-move trucks you might find its only a few hundred more dollars than a mover and then you don't have to hassle with driving a truck and they do the loading and unloading for you saving you the work and need for getting people to help you with that. When you get the quotes keep calling them all back and asking them to beat other quotes. I've went through three rounds before finally getting to the point where no more negotiation was needed.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:39 PM

20 posts, read 76,797 times
I have been looking for movers too, but for me it is So. Cal to Littleton. I am moving a studio apartment (with lots of books which is the killer) and Mayflower gave me a quote of $2000 for 3600 lbs. From what I have found while doing online research, Mayflower tends to be lower priced for full service moves, and it seems somewhat reasonable. But the relocubes from ABF looked good too, got a quote of $1000 for one cube, but I have some big pieces of furniture so I think I better go with the full service movers.

Last edited by alli_potts; 03-16-2010 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: fixing typo

Old 03-16-2010, 05:01 PM

93 posts, read 295,206 times
i did the ABF "U-Pack, ReloCube" thing Antiques is talking about...that is what i was referring to earlier...it's like an 8x7x7 cube you pack with as much as you can/want...anything more than a 2 br would probably not fit. But its possible if you really take your time fitting everything in. I think it is the cheapest way to go. Its a good option if you don't have a lot of furniture (all we had was a few beds and a futon which both come apart. dressers, couches, tables, etc. would be hard to maximize space and fit in the cube, but its not out of the question if you don't have lots of big stuff...) I would think you would be able to fit just about anything for 1 person though. 1 Table, 1 Bed, 1 dresser, TV, 1 couch and maybe some more smaller things would definitely fit assuming your couch would fit in an 8x7....its about the size of a parking space, but tall. So you can fit alot more than you would think in there.

U-Haul might have something similar where you just pack a cube full of stuff, then they ship it to a U-haul destination in your destined city. Might want to call and ask them if they have something like that to compare prices with ABF. Otherwise, ABF can get your stuff from point A to point B for about 500 bucks.

But you still have to include ~40 dollars x2 ....(for the U-hauls) to a.) move your stuff from your old place to the ABF cube location (they have shipping warehouses in/around all major cities)......and b.) once you actually GET to Denver, you have to have a U-haul ready to take the stuff out of your cube TO your new place. The ABF warehouse location is a short 5-10 min drive north of downtown Denver.

Ofcourse, this does not include packing and actual moving of your belongings. So you will need a friend to help you carry dressers, beds, etc. in both cities. Which might be hard if its only you that is moving.

Otherwise your going to have to hire a moving company (LOTS more money) for atleast the second half of your move. Moving by yourself is tricky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver