Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times

Advertisements

So, I found a job in Texas. I have "moved" to TX but I still own a home in Denver that I will be renting out. And will be returning to work on as needed.

I don't want to get a new TX DL since I just payed for new CO registration. But I would love to take advantage of the zero state income tax in TX.

I don't even know where to start searching to see what I can and cannot do to stay legal.

Any ideas where to start? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,142 times
You have 30 days to have your car inspected, titled, and registered in Texas. You have 90 days to get a Texas drivers license. Not doing so constitutes tax fraud and is illegal:

New Residents

Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 AM

Hum, so how would I go about not losing CO residency then? I wonder how often I would have to come back to Denver?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,287 times
I don't understand, why do you want to keep CO residency? Are you residing the majority of your time in TX? Check to see if you can get a prorated refund on registration.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:26 AM

181 posts, read 582,635 times
You can't have it both ways. You live in Texas now, for better or for worse. I had property in Colorado when I lived in California and when I lived in England. That did not make me a resident.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Well, you're a Texan now whether you like it or not. But although I'm sure you'll miss Colorado, your tax situation in the short term is much better in Texas so take advantage of it.

As for your registration, Colorado is relatively high, much higher than Texas, and I doubt you'll get your money back from Colorado, sorry. But the amount of money we're talking about with registration is tiny compared to income taxes you're not paying. If you just bought your Colorado vehicle, part of the money you paid may have been sales taxes, which of course wouldn't be refundable.

In this case following the law is going to be to your benefit. Unless you're planning on returning to Colorado within a matter of months I can't see why you'd want to even try continue your Colorado residency.

If you truly are only going to be gone for a couple months (say, on some short-term work, or something), then you probably could get away with not actually moving -- might be skirting the edge of being legal but you'd probably get away with it.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
As for your registration, Colorado is relatively high, much higher than Texas, and I doubt you'll get your money back from Colorado, sorry.
Yeah that's what I suspected, the two states I've moved from always refunded a portion of registration once we established residency in another state and returned the plates, guess CO is just stingy in that respect (I don't blame them since it's a big chunk of money for a new car!).

Old 03-18-2010, 09:27 AM

I will check on the refund. I just re-registered the car. Maybe I can get a prorated refund like suggested.

What can I say I am just bummed I had to leave Colorado. I can't believe I actually found a job! I was looking forward to being jobless in Colorado for about the next year and then find a job.

Oh well. I guess no mater what it costs it will be less than paying the 4.6% CO state income tax. Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
What can I say I am just bummed I had to leave Colorado. I can't believe I actually found a job!
There are many people out there who would like to be in your shoes, so be happy.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
There are many people out there who would like to be in your shoes, so be happy.
Working on that detail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: